PortalGun

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
PALADIN
Banned

PortalGun

Post by PALADIN » Fri 04 Nov , 2011 11:46 am

bOnO: Calypto, and you plan to correct all the phrases of everybody? We are not all English pros you know...
PALADIN: Aza, please continue correcting my phrases, thank you for that teaching.

giZmo
Hogwarts Professor

Re: PortalGun

Post by giZmo » Fri 04 Nov , 2011 11:55 am

Nice....i vote for replacing the Translocator with the Portal Gun on BWCTF 8-)
"We never truly know how to appreciate something until we have lost it forever."

PALADIN
Banned

Post by PALADIN » Fri 04 Nov , 2011 12:16 pm

giZmo wrote:Nice....i vote for replacing the Translocator with the Portal Gun on BWCTF 8-)
In comparison with portals translocator is a nice hideable, exclusivly personal tool.
Plus translocator can kill opponents and it have camera too btw.
bOnO: Calypto, and you plan to correct all the phrases of everybody? We are not all English pros you know...
PALADIN: Aza, please continue correcting my phrases, thank you for that teaching.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 04 Nov , 2011 1:21 pm

Omg, that is AWESOME! Who made that?

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Fri 04 Nov , 2011 1:26 pm

Very interesting.

PALADIN
Banned

Post by PALADIN » Fri 04 Nov , 2011 3:04 pm

Azarael wrote:Omg, that is AWESOME! Who made that?
Shambler, who made the the UT99 mutator of the same name. Code and some example maps can be downloaded at his official page.
Also, I think its based on the native warpzone mechanics, so this portals will not pass hitscan shooting, projectiles will pass it with XYZ Rotation reseted to zero (f.e. rox will fly correct direction but sideways oriented), it will not transfer splash and volumetric momentum, it will render the "other side" area w/o its fog and it will not show yourself in first person view mode. The more important that this can cause many problems up to game crash at the zones with antiportals. All WarpZones issues can be read here. But, its mustbe allows to launch a portal trought a portal as its a projectile (while Valve's portal dont allows to shoot a portal trought itself as I remember).
From the other side, almost all this issues can be fixed after some amount of code work (except we will never make it teleport vehicles partially except teleport them entirely).
But maybe we can use it only for teleporting players Pawn while forcingly block projectiles transfering.

Added:

Its even have some tweak settings. According to that the low portal framerate at the video is not strict.

[PortalGun.pgPortalGunMut]
bForceMinimumGrowth=False
DefaultPortalSize=1.000000

[PortalGun.pgPortalDecal]
FramerateDivider=4

Takeo

Post by Takeo » Fri 04 Nov , 2011 3:33 pm

This tool is kinda old and used by many Building servers, as well.
Using it in ctf mode will make the game very fast, don't you think? ;)

1. Place portal at own base
2. get the flag
3. make the second portal and jump through it^^

Still a very good tool which even works with emitters and projectiles ;)

PALADIN
Banned

Post by PALADIN » Fri 04 Nov , 2011 3:37 pm

Incredible! I just reviewed its code, author made everything from scratch! Looks like it already can even transfer vehicles (sure just only entirely) including flying ones copying its physics like vehicleteleporter at RaceTown do.
A huge amount of work already done and looks like mustbe working.
Sending a portal trought an another portal is locked but can be unlocked :twisted:
But I didnt find any handling of hitscans, looks like these are still undone, maybe we can do that (f.e. like its noted in the comments to the wiki page I referred above).
Takeo wrote:1. Place portal at own base
2. get the flag
3. make the second portal and jump through it^^
4. Flag dropped before teleporting or even reseted as lost in warpspace (I mean programming this np) ;)

giZmo
Hogwarts Professor

Post by giZmo » Fri 04 Nov , 2011 3:56 pm

Perfect for camping (some guys call it extreme defense) too.

Place the first portal near the flag and take the second one with you. So if you hear the "Red flag taken"
place your second Portal go back and cam...sorry defend your Flag. ;)
"We never truly know how to appreciate something until we have lost it forever."

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Fri 04 Nov , 2011 4:17 pm

That's regular tactic too with trans (used heavilly on iCTF):

1) place a disk at ur base
2) hear flag taken sound
3) tele (usually behind the carrier)
4) pwn him