Balanced voting

Discuss the Race / Assault server here.
PALADIN
Banned

Balanced voting

Post by PALADIN » Sat 26 Nov , 2011 11:34 am

Here are the two ideas I developed thinking about how to optimize our voting system.

Title: GameType votes relevant winning
Problem: there is often a situations when players that wanna play same gametype voting different maps and because of that that gametype loses.
Examples: 1) 4 votes for AS-Temple, 5 for AS-Mercury and 7 for RACE-SomeBender, RACE wins while AS players were more; 2) or 8 votes for RACE-Sunshine, 2 votes for RACE-Aztec, 9 votes for AS-Chaos; AS wins while RACE players were more.
Solving suggestion: add there two counters (and display them somewhere in vote window) that will count the sum of votes for each type; then voting will choose the gametype to win by that counters and choos the map by votes within that gametype.
Examples (for the two above): 1) AS counter 9, RACE counter 7, AS wins, AS-Mercury is chosen; 2) AS counter 9, RACE counter 10, RACE wins, RACE-Sunshine chosen.

Title: GameType play rows limiting
REMOVED

Discuss please, I think we really need that.
Last edited by PALADIN on Sat 26 Nov , 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bOnO: Calypto, and you plan to correct all the phrases of everybody? We are not all English pros you know...
PALADIN: Aza, please continue correcting my phrases, thank you for that teaching.

Meep

Re: Balanced voting

Post by Meep » Sat 26 Nov , 2011 2:29 pm

You would just get a situation where AS is on '10' and people don't really want to play assault. I've seen it so many times where regular assault just kills the server.

Then you just get scenarios where its 4v4 on a map designed for excess of 12v12 and it becomes boring.

Not to mention assault maps are usually 40 minute spam fests, where as race maps can be over in minutes.

My opinion at least :S

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Sat 26 Nov , 2011 2:32 pm

I'll explain how the current weighted voting system works in greater detail (as of 26/11/2011). The main idea of it was not to force people play something they doesn't want to (that is not force them to play Assault if the server is full of racers). So no, forcing one gametype is not an idea too.

First there is a statistic since February how many AS games / RACE games were played, as of now it is (reqs. at least 3 players to vote to increment the counter, note there are some exceptions in here such as Chaos, SkyRace etc. count as Race):
Assault - 3738 (4.40)
Race - 16460 (1.00)
(btw. Oldztyle - 103)

This defines the base weight of the vote. Then there is a weight scaler asa assault matches are 2 rounded unlike race, which works as: 1 + (Weight - 1) * Scaler. The "Scaler" is 1 for Race and 0.5 for Assault. This gives 1.00 for Race, and 2.70 for Assault.

Third thing is a statistic of last 4 played games and limits the maximum vote weight based on how much the gameteype was played recently. This is 1.80 for 0 games, 1.50 for 1 game, 1.20 for 2 games and 1.00 for 3 or 4 games out of last 4 games.

There is also another limit, which is based on average players in the game. Currently it drops weight for assault if there is below 6 players or more than 24 (the drop is smooth). This however is being changed to add map profiling here.

PALADIN
Banned

Post by PALADIN » Sat 26 Nov , 2011 3:12 pm

After a talk with Aza I desided that 2nd idea is not needed for the reasons Izumo wrote here.
So, we need only the first.
bOnO: Calypto, and you plan to correct all the phrases of everybody? We are not all English pros you know...
PALADIN: Aza, please continue correcting my phrases, thank you for that teaching.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Sat 26 Nov , 2011 3:24 pm

Ah overlooked the first idea. This actually was tried sooner with UT2Vote and didn't result very well, because of: if gametype change won, votes were reset and there was voting for a map just in that gametype - which ended up in voting a RACE inside AS (such as SkyRace etc.) and imminent gametype change back to RACE after that.

However yeah, without the second round it could work. The only thing is what the effect would be, racers usually don't stick to one map unlike AS guys.

PALADIN
Banned

Post by PALADIN » Sat 26 Nov , 2011 3:38 pm

It has nothing common with UT2Vote. Why write some things about two round voting??

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Sat 26 Nov , 2011 3:40 pm

Just noted that.

PALADIN
Banned

Post by PALADIN » Sat 26 Nov , 2011 3:42 pm

More useless text, less understand for visitors.
I understood, thats will be just like always, all talked, nobody made.
You all just like eunuchs in a harem: stare, discuss, doing nothing.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Sat 26 Nov , 2011 3:45 pm

As far as I recall you actually are the one talking and doing nothing.

Socio

Post by Socio » Sat 26 Nov , 2011 4:07 pm

Then you just get scenarios where its 4v4 on a map designed for excess of 12v12 and it becomes boring.
Proper AS was designed for max 8vs8 so 4vs4 is all ok.
Of course we are not taking Chaos, Legowars and other big maps which were designed for 32 people spam fests.

Anyways the voting part is tricky, I still dont like the fact that when the playercount is over 24 people AS vote is set to same as RACE, I understand that it was meant to minimise the spam on the AS maps, which I mentioned were designed for 8vs8 max people, but it also backfires in making the hippie hoards chain-vote RACE maps.
The best idea would be just cutting the server in 2, 16 player ones. AS and RACE, but then some people wouldnt like playing AS when there is too few people to point-whore on :P
Also I deont think that changing the voting system to what PALADIN stated is a good idea, n00bs wouldnt understand the system even when it would be explained to them and would go "wtf shit admin/server map force happyscorpion vote won" -> disconnect.
> team-spec*Socio: i see a new rais map
> team-spec*Socio: curious if ikea
> H&some: its not
> H&some: its actually pretty good