Do You Believe December 21, 2012 Is The End Of The World ???

Anything goes here. Keep it tasteful.
Pinky
Disappeared Administrator

Re: Galactic Equator Alignment & Gamma Rays

Post by Pinky » Tue 19 Jun , 2012 8:57 am

1DeViLiShDuDe wrote:Most of what I've been commenting was shown on one or more of the Science channels, with cgi animated diagrams or artistic 3d renders
beeing able to create "cgi animated diagrams or artistic 3d renders" doesn't necessarily imply even a basic knowledge of astronomy
and then I do a search online for the subject to see more information on the topic.
You somehow seem to find the wrong web pages then :roll:
Maybe you should have tried this one: http://2012rising.com/article/the-galac ... 012-part-1 for example.

About the sun traveling away from the 'Dark Rift'(disc/equator) - that's not what they were presenting, the way it was shown.|
Usually this thing is called the Great Rift in astronomy. And as explained above, not the Sun is crossing the equator (since this is impossible), but the Great Rift (or part of it) is doing this. Here is an image of your famous "Dark Rift":
Image. The colorful structure near the center is the Galactic Center and the black "river" extending from it is the Great/Dark Rift. It is basically a giant cloud (several thousands of light years across) composed of cold gas and dust. The reason it is dark is because it is a) cold (and barely emits radiation) and b) blocks the radiation of basically anything behind it. Therefore it would actually shield us from any "intense gamma radiation". Even though it appears that the Great Rift is located near the Galactic Center it is actually very far away from it. The Great Rift is several hundred light years away from us, while our distance to the Galactic Center is about 28000 light years. And the Sun is also not moving into that Great Rift either...
The Sun actually makes an oscillatory movement along its galactic orbit. Here is an artistic impression:
which is a "bit" exaggerated. These oscillations are not as large as depicted there and the Sun won't get anywhere near the galactic disc in the next time. The current movement is still upwards, away from the discs centre. All these motions happen of course on astronomical timescales - e.g. it takes the Sun roughly 250 million years for one complete orbit around the galactic center.
And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know.
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws,
And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall, and not a soul to hear.

alexd2580

Re: Do You Believe December 21, 2012 Is The End Of The World

Post by alexd2580 » Thu 13 Sep , 2012 2:29 am

why is the last picture signed by russia's former dict...... president? oO .= omg
well nvm. as long as my good old nokia predicts my birthdays up to 2079 i won't fear any of the pseudo-"the-world-ends-tomorrow"-events...
anyway, all religious based statements about science (which "the-end-of-the-world" is) need to be reconsidered and checked,
at least 50 times, or else sth like this happens:
If we use the word 'time' wrongly, we shall end up with the infantile computation
of the celebrated Archbishop James Ussher of Armagh, who calculated that the earth
had its birthday on Saturday, October 22, in 4004 BC,at six in the afternoon.
This dating was endorsed by William Jennings Bryan, a former American secretary of state and two-time Democratic presidential nominee,
in court-room testimony in the third decade of the twentieth century.
this is an excerpt from 'Christopher Hitchens - god is not Great' (interesting book... actually)

as the 21.12.2012 is known to pretty much everybody here's my idea of what will happen that day:

prediction for 20th of december:
-houseparties
-empty shops, people buying food for the next 2-3 years
-mass panic
-lots of drunk people
-riots
-barricated doors or sth...
-traffic jams

prediction for 21st of december:
-drunk people gettin drunk again (ok
-lots of people wandering around... wondering why nothing happened... (=

btw: someone should really organise a party xDD megusta

Anhrak

Post by Anhrak » Wed 03 Oct , 2012 9:42 am

The only thing I suspect to happen on 21-12-2012, is mass suicide because of all paranoid people who do believe in it.

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Wed 03 Oct , 2012 9:57 am

So?
Only people stupid enough to believe in that crap will suicide, fair enough.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

KillerB
V.I.P. Member

Post by KillerB » Mon 17 Dec , 2012 3:11 am

what has that video got to do with this topic?? Rehashing old and nearly dead posts Zzzzz
~)Open wide hunny, Momma's got ya goo(~

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Mon 17 Dec , 2012 5:30 am

You aren't going to kill yourself on Dec 21st? What a loser

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Mon 17 Dec , 2012 1:13 pm

The end is nigh, my friends.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Mon 17 Dec , 2012 1:29 pm

I'd create smth special on the 21st december on the servers. Such as Nuke shower on BW etc. :P

Liubot

Post by Liubot » Mon 17 Dec , 2012 1:48 pm

Izumo_CZ wrote:I'd create smth special on the 21st december on the servers. Such as Nuke shower on BW etc. :P
Looking forward to it :D