Request for unban IP

If you feel a ban has been made in error, appeal it here.
suicidefunky

Request for unban IP

Post by suicidefunky » Fri 24 Feb , 2012 1:52 pm

Dear Folks,

I hereby request to unban this IP address:
-Insert IP address here-

I don't have any GUID or UTAN Ban ID, as i'm not the one who violated the rules. Truth is, we were on a LAN party and someone said intentionally "NIGGERS" (nickname: Phoenix) on your Racing server whilst having knowledge of the server rules, and this resulted in an IP ban. I've beaten the crap outta him for doing that, as it caused for us to get all banned yesterday. The IP address is owned by a friend of mine who does play every now and then and does behave.
As for the GUID and/or UTAN Ban ID of this player, ban him for life, i don't care, i only request to unban the IP mentioned earlier.

Well, like to hear from you. For me it's real relaxing to play on both LDG servers, and i believe you're doing a good job.

Greetings Randy (SuicideFunky), NL.
Last edited by Socio on Sat 25 Feb , 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Here I removed the IP address, problem solved ._.

Socio
Disappeared Administrator

Re: Request for unban IP

Post by Socio » Fri 24 Feb , 2012 3:58 pm

That PhoeniX guy had the guts to rejoin the server later on a different IP, banned that one too, since both you use demo GUIDs.
Hm... okay, under this circumstance I will unban this IP, but just this once. Rules are rules and everyone must respect them.
> team-spec*Socio: i see a new rais map
> team-spec*Socio: curious if ikea
> H&some: its not
> H&some: its actually pretty good

suicidefunky

Post by suicidefunky » Fri 24 Feb , 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks Socio. I agree everyone has to respect the rules. I'm glad you understand this situation. Good thought as for the GUIDs.

Thanks for your time and quick response.

-Randy.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Fri 24 Feb , 2012 11:16 pm

Do NOT post your IP under any circumstances in a public area - in this case, a forum. You could get hacked, and what not. Only give your IP to an admin through trusted communication. (eg. PM, email)

suicidefunky

Post by suicidefunky » Sat 25 Feb , 2012 12:02 am

Thanks for your notification Calypto! Although i appreciate your warning, i think you misunderstand the danger. If i would e-mail this ip address the transmission could just as easily be sniffed as its pure ASCII, same case for PM, as that would go just over plain http as well. Not talking about how worthless that IP address would be for a hacker as its behind a default NAT fire-walled router, not to mention the absence of any interest for a default home internet connection. The insecurities of Windows are a much bigger threat (e.g rootkits).

As for our Linux VPS, it would just be equally pointless, serverfarms exists hunting down every ip address on the internet. In our CSF alone we have hundreds of IP addresses already banned for brute-forcing ssh-attempts.

Yes, the chance being hacked by posting your IP are there. Yes, that chance is so small not worth mentioning ;)

Again, appreciate your help. My point is don't give inexperienced people goosebumps for being hacked, as that chance is astronomical small by giving your IP address only.

-Sorry for going offtopic
Last edited by suicidefunky on Sat 25 Feb , 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sat 25 Feb , 2012 2:10 am

Still, why risk such an event?

AxonFlux

Post by AxonFlux » Sat 25 Feb , 2012 3:43 am

suicidefunky wrote:Not talking about how invaluable and useless that IP address would be for a hacker as its behind a default NAT fire-walled router, not to mention the absence of any interest for a default home internet connection.
Was going to post this very same thing, but you beat me to it!

Anyways, I.P.'s are public to every single website you visit and every person you chat with on messengers. Your I.P. isn't really as big of a vulnerability as you might think Calypto. :) It's kind of like the numbers on the front of your house. Sure, people can see them but it doesn't give them a key to enter ya'know?
"Men think epilepsy divine, merely because they do not understand it. We will one day understand what causes it, and then cease to call it divine. And so it is with everything in the universe." - Hippocrates (c. 460-377 B.C.E.)

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 25 Feb , 2012 4:06 am

English note: Invaluable and valuable mean the same thing. Use "valueless" instead.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sat 25 Feb , 2012 6:50 am

Guess you're right, not much to worry about. BUT.
If they find out your router address, things can get rough. For example, any netgear router by default has the login as "admin" and password as "password." Knowing this, you could easily walk over the person's network connection. If your neighbors are douchebags, they'll try to figure out the wifi password ;)

suicidefunky

Post by suicidefunky » Sat 25 Feb , 2012 1:25 pm

AxonFlux wrote:
suicidefunky wrote:Not talking about how invaluable and useless that IP address would be for a hacker as its behind a default NAT fire-walled router, not to mention the absence of any interest for a default home internet connection.
Was going to post this very same thing, but you beat me to it!

Anyways, I.P.'s are public to every single website you visit and every person you chat with on messengers. Your I.P. isn't really as big of a vulnerability as you might think Calypto. :) It's kind of like the numbers on the front of your house. Sure, people can see them but it doesn't give them a key to enter ya'know?
Hah! I was thinking of giving the same example of the house/key metaphor, but left it away. Good one :)

@Azarael: Thanks for mentioning! Didn't know that, always thought the prefix 'in' turned a word opposite. Made it 'worthless' in my post.

@Calypto: Thats right, although the public IP address has nothing to do with that. You're talking about the internal network which indeed most routers have a default password for. Same for the wifi cracking, in theory that's all possible, in practice the chance you having a neighbor with the knowledge, time and willing to spend his effort and is actually successful in cracking a (nowadays) WPA/WPA2 key are too small to be afraid of. The benefit doesn't outweigh the effort, and most people smart enough to crack a key are also smart enough to make previous risk assessment ;)