7%
Unarmed
41%

Total votes: 29

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Poll on Unarmed racing

Post by Azarael » Wed 21 Mar , 2012 10:22 pm

Here's the bottom line on this whole debate.

Unarmed sucks. The whole dimension of combat is removed, leaving only extremely simplified scorps with WASD/Ctrl/C controls. However, an unarmed implementation is better than a bad combat implementation such as EMP, because unarmed maps can be finished quickly and bad combat isn't interesting due to a lack of depth. That's why some people favour unarmed - from the perspective of getting rais maps over with more quickly.

Armed rais is a bad idea to begin with - consider that no known map for any other gametype uses the retarded yet strangely prolific rais layout of having the attackers and defenders spawn at the same area and try to beat each other to the objective, because having attackers and defenders in contact with each other, with the same destination in mind, for over 3 minutes on a linear track allows for zero tactics and strategy. Unfortunately, raisers aren't interested in what's good, otherwise they'd be playing ONS or VCTF or some other gametype developed by actual professionals rather than random noobs seeking a way to get massive acclaim with minimum effort, so as usual we hit a brick wall and that brick wall is known as "Most of the clients are noobs".

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Wed 21 Mar , 2012 10:42 pm

Azarael wrote:Here's the bottom line on this whole debate.

Unarmed sucks. The whole dimension of combat is removed, leaving only extremely simplified scorps with WASD/Ctrl/C controls. However, an unarmed implementation is better than a bad combat implementation such as EMP, because unarmed maps can be finished quickly and bad combat isn't interesting due to a lack of depth. That's why some people favour unarmed - from the perspective of getting rais maps over with more quickly.

Armed rais is a bad idea to begin with - consider that no known map for any other gametype uses the retarded yet strangely prolific rais layout of having the attackers and defenders spawn at the same area and try to beat each other to the objective, because having attackers and defenders in contact with each other, with the same destination in mind, for over 3 minutes on a linear track allows for zero tactics and strategy. Unfortunately, raisers aren't interested in what's good, otherwise they'd be playing ONS or VCTF or some other gametype developed by actual professionals rather than random noobs seeking a way to get massive acclaim with minimum effort, so as usual we hit a brick wall and that brick wall is known as "Most of the clients are noobs".

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 21 Mar , 2012 10:49 pm

Intentional. Rais is shit like Hellbenderrace and race is BlazingScorpions etc.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Thu 22 Mar , 2012 1:38 am

Well, first let's perhaps recognize race and trial here as BlazingScorpions is in fact a trial and has nothing to do with actual racing, you're driving slow past obstacles etc. . With that in mind, there is no "race", it's all rais.
Azarael wrote:Unarmed sucks. The whole dimension of combat is removed, leaving only extremely simplified scorps with WASD/Ctrl/C controls. However, an unarmed implementation is better than a bad combat implementation such as EMP, because unarmed maps can be finished quickly and bad combat isn't interesting due to a lack of depth. That's why some people favour unarmed - from the perspective of getting rais maps over with more quickly.
Pretty much agreed about why unarmed sucks, but I actually wonder if there is someone else that favours unarmed just for this reason, other people that favour unarmed rather seem to me that they don't want to be annoyed by the gunning, or rather, bothered by gunning and would be finer if the scorps were multiple seat vehicle - driver and gunner. Also EMP finishes quicker than other combat types as you just get stopped most of the time :P
Azarael wrote:Armed rais is a bad idea to begin with - consider that no known map for any other gametype uses the retarded yet strangely prolific rais layout of having the attackers and defenders spawn at the same area and try to beat each other to the objective, because having attackers and defenders in contact with each other, with the same destination in mind, for over 3 minutes on a linear track allows for zero tactics and strategy. Unfortunately, raisers aren't interested in what's good, otherwise they'd be playing ONS or VCTF or some other gametype developed by actual professionals rather than random noobs seeking a way to get massive acclaim with minimum effort, so as usual we hit a brick wall and that brick wall is known as "Most of the clients are noobs".
The server is here primarily to bring fun to people and our somekind of burden is that LDG Racing / Assault is shared between two communities with very different views and motivation for playing the game. Both Racing / Assault guys have same priviledge to play what the game the way they want. In case of domination of one group, weighted voting is set to even that out. Currently it seems mostly balanced at the peak hours, in terms of played minutes, so weighted voting is off.

Raisers simply want stupid race, but they're open for improvements (such as nitro vehicles in general etc.). So if one designs whatever mod that doesn't meet their interest, they'll just dismiss it as boring and won't play it, regardless of the mod's professionality. So that has to be kept in mind when looking for improvements, designing something new etc.. And we'll get back to forms of armed rais and to the coming multiweapon scorpion.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Thu 22 Mar , 2012 2:30 am

The problem is that racing in a hellbender is fucking pointless, neither the speed or number of seats was modified. All that was modified was probably the name, and the license plate saying "LDG."

At least modify the speed, handling, and drift so it would be more fun and even a challenge. Also consider adding unwhe..hortonvehicles.

AxonFlux

Post by AxonFlux » Thu 22 Mar , 2012 4:11 am

I vaguely remember running a race server back in '07.. It was mostly HortonVeh's racetracks and then some stuff like Yoshi's race and various bender maps. It was called >BIG< Clan racing server. A sister clan to a server called Nachos & Beer. But Racing isn't really my thing..

I'm more of a vanilla fan. I love maps like Glacier etc. That's the way Assault was meant to be played. I plan on making similar style maps in the somewhat near future.

Racing is just bad all around in my opinion.
"Men think epilepsy divine, merely because they do not understand it. We will one day understand what causes it, and then cease to call it divine. And so it is with everything in the universe." - Hippocrates (c. 460-377 B.C.E.)

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 22 Mar , 2012 4:19 am

We all acknowledge at this point that the clients are going to play what they want to play, and if they can't have it, they'll stop playing the game. That's why rais has to be run regardless of its flaws. At risk of reiterating statements made many times, the server can't exist without rais. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that some of us can find ourselves able to respect rais.

"Rais" is a subset of race implying poor build quality or gameplay.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Thu 22 Mar , 2012 12:23 pm

Azarael wrote:We all acknowledge at this point that the clients are going to play what they want to play, and if they can't have it, they'll stop playing the game. That's why rais has to be run regardless of its flaws. At risk of reiterating statements made many times, the server can't exist without rais. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that some of us can find ourselves able to respect rais.

"Rais" is a subset of race implying poor build quality or gameplay.
Right. But my point rather was that regardless of the necessity, there is no reason to act as if the goal was to boot the raising community off.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 22 Mar , 2012 5:09 pm

Well, I wasn't acting that way, because that's unfeasible. I merely wish that we could find an adequate compromise gametype which has both depth and vehicular focus. I'm not opposed to vehicles, as I spend a fair bit of time lately making them.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 22 Mar , 2012 10:14 pm

When I manage to pull myself from Mass Effect, I'll return, like Gandalf. Keep the armed race warm for me.