Azarael

If you feel a ban has been made in error, appeal it here.
BlackCheetah

Azarael

Post by BlackCheetah » Wed 29 Feb , 2012 4:22 pm

Why does Azarael hate me?

09D78183-B6F246E8-A20CB67F-FD58DF2D (This is a suffering to write out)

86.175.211.134 ( This isn't safe but I thoroughly enjoy race server and want to be back on it )

Ban #618

To Azarael

I did not know who you were on the server and most of the time I barely read nicknames or remember but only reply when I see someone has said my name. I denied the statement I said because I was thinking you were some person who likes "troll" or make others miserable as I usually find such people for example those who repeat phrases such as "HES BOTTING NOOB." or "NOOB." Had I known you were an admin I would of responded respectfully but while playing ut2004 I usually do not care for reading that much only to have fun and not do things that I myself would hate to have done to me.

I am sorry for what I said and I'll be more careful, Azarael because you've aquired a dislike for me, and you are an admin and having an admin as an enemy is OVERKILL.
Last edited by BlackCheetah on Wed 29 Feb , 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: Azarael

Post by iRobot » Wed 29 Feb , 2012 4:23 pm

BlackCheetah wrote:Why does Azarael hate me?
He hates everyone, except his best friend Ron.
BlackCheetah wrote:I was banned for saying "dirty koreans" in frustration right? Its on the same level as the guy who called someone's mother jewish and that Hitler gassed her? I wasn't even meaning insult to anyone, you just take every word I type and try to find a way to make it a ban?

I am an idiot? Why am I an idiot? I've played this game for years and all I do is have fun I do not understand how I am an idiot from just seeing my gameplay? I am a game developer also have a BA Sc Degree in Games Development, I am actually smart enough to go to school, but yet when I have time to be brainless playing the chaotic ut2004, I am deemed a idiot. Yes I occasionally do somethings...knock people off in race, but its on average of twice race game for team kills where by the way its usually in revenge and alot for killing other team mates.

Is it racist that I said "dirty koreans?" Some wrote in posts in the start that someone's name is Evil Jesus and that religion should not be in gaming but extreme political correctness? I did not aim an insult at anyone, I assume no one would take offense to my statement since North, and South Korea are half way around the world from I assume the server maybe using my ping as evidence. To be banned for a line that I would of forgotten 2 minutes later then get it rubbed in my face as if its malicious material of my girlfriend all over the internet does not sound mature to me.

Still can't believe the post above would call me an idiot on the internet without even having a conversation of more than 2 lines with me, I don't even recall ever speaking in a large argument that results in me being an idiot is true but I have not come here to fight back. I've come here to ask for an unban and to say sorry for my statement for I meant to malice to anyone who may have taken insult. I really do enjoy playing in your server, but even if you do consider unbanning me, I really don't know if I can enjoy as much as before because now I feel everything I do is being judged also may I know the amount of time I've been banned if my plea is revoked?

Thank you,
BlackCheetah.

;"(

BlackCheetah

Post by BlackCheetah » Wed 29 Feb , 2012 4:34 pm

Thank you irobot, I wrote that out and felt quoting it myself was uncomfortable.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 29 Feb , 2012 5:35 pm

The ingame rules require you not to make any comment which is discriminatory on the basis of race, ethnicity or nationality. The incident was actually reported by PALADIN and I assume that you have seen the thread, as I believe that's where I made the comment.

As for why I referred to you as an idiot, that's pretty simple, poor gameplay on PathwayNaive, I removed you from my bender a couple of times because of your inability to target correctly (firing on cars instead of trying to kill trappers) and I saw you solobendering as well. You're not an "enemy" nor do I have a particular grudge against you - when it comes to terrible gameplay, 80% of the server are guilty, so wasting my time on one person would be pretty silly.

Normally the ban would have been for 3 days, and had you admitted the comment instead of denying it I wouldn't have bothered to ban you. In the interests of consistency I'm going to update the rules to provide clear ban lengths for everyone.

Edit: Looking at the rules, I specify 7 days for racism offenses, but as this wasn't really as bad as we normally get I'm going to reduce the ban to 3 days despite the denial.

BlackCheetah

Post by BlackCheetah » Wed 29 Feb , 2012 5:44 pm

Ok, thank you.

"poor gameplay on PathwayNaive, I removed you from my bender a couple of times because of your inability to target correctly (firing on cars instead of trying to kill trappers) and I saw you solobendering as well"

I don't know the map, nor do I know what kind of tactics people have come up within race, all I knew was simple reach the objective and kill anyone in my way, I didn't even know where the triggers are for the traps, but Azarael this is only one map and it was pretty simple map. I've played many other maps and I am particularly good at defending in assault with a rocket launcher :D

corinne h
V.I.P. Member

Post by corinne h » Thu 01 Mar , 2012 8:14 am

Is it racist that I said "dirty koreans?"
Yes. Yes it is racist.

PALADIN
Banned

Post by PALADIN » Thu 01 Mar , 2012 11:11 am

BlackCheetah wrote:I don't know the map, nor do I know what kind of tactics people have come up within race, all I knew was simple reach the objective and kill anyone in my way, I didn't even know where the triggers are for the traps, but Azarael this is only one map and it was pretty simple map. I've played many other maps and I am particularly good at defending in assault with a rocket launcher :D
At the maps with a key vehicle taking a seat in it is a responsibility. And when you are taking that seat just to ride or even thinking you can do the job well while you do not actually know the map then that is almost equal to sabotage. Taking a place in a key or only vehicle, a key or only turret, using important triggers, taking an ion core, etc..
bOnO: Calypto, and you plan to correct all the phrases of everybody? We are not all English pros you know...
PALADIN: Aza, please continue correcting my phrases, thank you for that teaching.

BlackCheetah

Post by BlackCheetah » Thu 01 Mar , 2012 5:36 pm

corinne h wrote:
Is it racist that I said "dirty koreans?"
Yes. Yes it is racist.
I do understand that I may have been used a statement that can be deemed malice and I am in no way defending it because I've seen what I've done wrong and will take my punishment.

But I find the statement "dirty koreans" to be nothing of the definition

The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...

Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

For lets take the statement apart. It is not a sentence for there is no predicate, only a subject of "dirty koreans" which contains an adjective and a noun. The sentence "koreans are dirty" implies that Koreans are dirty which does under the definition above promote racism but "dirty koreans" does not how aim at anyone in written for it is only a subject that can only be aimed to where the speaker is aiming for. "dirty koreans" cannot be taken as an insult if the hearers and targets are actually dirty and of a Korean nationality (North Korean/South Korean).

"koreans" is not a racial slur. "dirty" can be used as an insult or to describe something as actually dirty.

The reason I used the statement was because during a race/assault game I being on the red team lost to blue team. (Don't actually remember how badly we lost or if we even lost but from this picture http://ut2004.thenicam.ch/phpBB3/downlo ... php?id=125 I think we lost) And as a result I expressed my feelings toward their success by calling them dirty koreans.

Do I believe koreans are dirty? Depends on if someone of korean ethnicity is clean?
Did I target anyone? Yes it was towards the blue team but with no malice intention.

What was my emotion when I said my statement? I am genuinely enjoying my safe playing and communication with others and laughing out loud when something hilarious happens as usual in Race/Assault.

What do I think other people were thinking and feeling while playing with me? I thought they were enjoying things the same way I am?

How do I feel many people actually are when playing this game? Too serious, too picky, professionalism in public servers that will involve many different colliding attitudes of people who either play to have fun with others or those who rather not play but use their skills and power to try to maybe fuel a possible enlarged ego.

Thank you, and again I know what I've done wrong and the statement should not have been said but being the brainless gamer I am, I do not like to feel have consequences controlling my characters in online gaming and sometimes I am bound to say things that I'd never say in my day relations for I feel internet communication should not have restrictions (SOPA, ACTA?).

I will understand my punishment.
D=

Azarael, I also read that you quoted me saying "fucking koreans," this incorrect as I pointed out a picture somewhere above with the actually chat-log. I do not ever using swear words for insulting but only for a comedic effect but no offense taken here.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 01 Mar , 2012 6:12 pm

You're seriously overthinking this. I'd drop it if I were you, lest you say something you might end up regretting..again.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 01 Mar , 2012 6:16 pm

Damn, he's right though. I asked him if he'd said "fucking koreans" and he hadn't - he'd actually said "dirty koreans". I've amended the ban log.

However, the rest of the post is flimsy. It's clear that if you say "dirty koreans" randomly in a game server, you're referring negatively to someone, and the phrase implies that Koreans as a people are subpar (else, why call someone Korean as an insult?)

In light of this thread, I'm going to start a discussion in the GD about chat offenses. Feel free to participate.