Alternative Voting system

Discuss the Race / Assault server here.
iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Re: Alternative Voting system

Post by iZumo » Mon 02 Jul , 2012 2:43 pm

The following maps have 1.40 votes (5 votes upgrade to 7) when no AS was played last 4 games:

Cimerion, Mercury, Proseidon, TheCanyon, Dagopa.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Fri 20 Jul , 2012 12:05 am

It appears that for now AS is dominating peak hours resulting in situation that smaller amount of people "blocking" the server by chainvoting AS and then RQing when their playercount drops even futher - so RACE players who would potentially join the server won't come (the chainvoting was broken by disabling AS for a moment).

Since right now AS have no problems being voted, the 1.40 vote boost is temporarily down (unsure how that will work in current situation, so might be back up tomorrow). However, when 2 out of 4 last games were AS, the weight for AS will drop to symbolical 0.10 in order to force gametype circulation (i.e one RACE vote will break it).

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 20 Jul , 2012 9:11 am

AS Voted - AS players join, RACErs leave. Next map vote. AS players vote. RACErs already left. This just snowballs with each successive map.

I don't think there is a way you can control who stays or goes on the server. People will just play what they wanna play.

Although honestly, if you really want to force a race map, then 0.10 will do nothing but annoy people. Better to just disable all AS maps in this scenario.

Assault sucks because the teams are always stacked. I would even go as far as to suggest you disable spectator slots during AS to stop people cherry picking their teams.

Or alternatively, make it so VIP's can switch teams freely. Often I want to balance, but get chosen by TB to join the even more stacked team. Or simply I want to balance it on my own accord, but can't due to even teams.

Just some ideas, maybe something workable from there.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 20 Jul , 2012 9:25 am

Assault sucks because the teams are always stacked. I would even go as far as to suggest you disable spectator slots during AS to stop people cherry picking their teams.
As an afternote, this would fix the "spectate when losing" plague, that is ruining the assault games right now. If you have to play, or leave the server, a lot of people will keep playing.

Socio

Post by Socio » Fri 20 Jul , 2012 2:51 pm

Not a bad idea.
Reminding of yesterdays early TheCanyon game when iRobot asked me to join help red and then a few minutes later he got TB to blue. I have something like this happen to me often to, joined the weaker team, but after a few minutes got TB'ed to stronger team.
You might as well add us regulars to some TB whitelist that we wont get randomly swapped. Most of us already knows the game should be kept in balance for maximum funtime and we will swap ourselves without extra help if we will find the game unfair.
Also yeah, it will stop Crusader and Sir_Ank types that join in specatator mode to lurk for the stronger team and then join it on the nearest occasion.
> team-spec*Socio: i see a new rais map
> team-spec*Socio: curious if ikea
> H&some: its not
> H&some: its actually pretty good

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 20 Jul , 2012 3:21 pm

However, certain players who do naturally spec such as Genesis and LiZaT-KiNg will not be happy.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 20 Jul , 2012 3:32 pm

I don't think I have ever seen either of them legitimately play a full game, with actively participating and not just flying/driving in a summoned vehicle.

It's not a spectator sport :)

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Fri 20 Jul , 2012 4:25 pm

Or maybe create a "spectator whitelist" and allow the people we trust to spectate?.......
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 20 Jul , 2012 7:22 pm

1DeViLiShDuDe wrote:
iRobot wrote:AS Voted - AS players join, RACErs leave. Next map vote. AS players vote. RACErs already left. This just snowballs with each successive map.
One gametype per server would fix that! :P instead of trying to add players in others.
We've been down that road.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Sat 21 Jul , 2012 6:09 pm

Hmm, expanding the TB whitelist might not be a bad idea. As for spectating - I'd rather make a blacklist for certain people (Crusader, Sir_Ank).
iRobot wrote:AS Voted - AS players join, RACErs leave. Next map vote. AS players vote. RACErs already left. This just snowballs with each successive map.

Although honestly, if you really want to force a race map, then 0.10 will do nothing but annoy people. Better to just disable all AS maps in this scenario.
No, RACE players don't quit immediatelly. Usually 1 - 2 AS maps in row still work. Yeah I think I'll add disabling gametype option to voting (currently not tech. possible). Anyway the idea is not to make RACE players quit - if they would mass ragequit everytime an AS map was voted, then we would have no option but to split the server again. Sure, it depends on whether the game is stacked or not and on the map too.