Alternative Voting system

Discuss the Race / Assault server here.
Coi
V.I.P. Member

Re: Alternative Voting system

Post by Coi » Sat 21 Jul , 2012 11:41 pm

Let's not view things too black and white here :P
There aren't always "The Racers" and "The Assaulters".

I love both Race and Assault (and I'm sure there are more people like that), I think the current vote system is very good although I would like to check out how random voting works too.
If this sentence is false, I don't have a signature.

Socio
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Socio » Mon 23 Jul , 2012 4:22 pm

Izumo_CZ wrote:No, RACE players don't quit immediatelly.
Depends. There are a couple of faces that deskflip.jpg instantly when AS is voted =SS

So, when do we put disabled spec slots for a trial period? Because last games playercount crumbled down like a house made out of cards due to a chain of RAGESPEC/QUITs fts
> team-spec*Socio: i see a new rais map
> team-spec*Socio: curious if ikea
> H&some: its not
> H&some: its actually pretty good

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 23 Jul , 2012 4:23 pm

It happens every game, for sure. Some of it is down to stacking rather than just simply disliking assault however. Fixing stacking isn't an easy fix :\

Maybe implement something to help the weaker team in such scenarios, so they aren't as demotivated to quit. Extra health when behind or whatever it was we discussed previously? Something to help close deficits.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Mon 23 Jul , 2012 5:08 pm

I noticed lower playercount lately (more likely to be caused by the move), so I enabled OLDZ to boost it up a bit. Also the "RQs" - disabling spec slots won't change anything on that, and when trialling the AS server, disabling spec slots didn't have that much effect, it's likely that people will rather quit :/

I'll look on the AS gametype when we finish changes on BW (putting CM cleanup / Nitro Vehicles on hold until that is resolved, however balancer function of team-spec*Sentinel too). I rather suggest implementing the idea of progressive assault and weakening defenders over time.

Probably a skill balancer for AS giving fairly accurate result would be to count just kills and compute your kills per minute ratio (instead of efficiency: kills / (kills + deaths) ).

Socio

Post by Socio » Fri 27 Jul , 2012 6:33 pm

Okay, this is getting tedious. Why AS is lowered to 0.1 on the space of 4 maps? And why limited OLDZ, with shitty, unbalanced, campy maps is still on, there is no point in keeping it on as the players who meant to join the server already know of its changed IP. I can understand lowering the AS vote to compensate for the time difference between AS game ans RACE games, but 0.1 for 4 maps period is too damn low and even f*cking crappy OLDZ maps (0.3) have bigger vote then proper balanced AS map. Play one good AS map and the you have to sit through 4 maps which can in which there can be 40 minutes OLDZ on Nightmare. Great fun!
I think that in current status the voting for AS shouldnt be lower then 0.5.
> team-spec*Socio: i see a new rais map
> team-spec*Socio: curious if ikea
> H&some: its not
> H&some: its actually pretty good

blOb
V.I.P. Member

Post by blOb » Fri 27 Jul , 2012 6:50 pm

Agree with all of the post above ^
Socio wrote:Play one good AS map and the you have to sit through 4 maps which can in which there can be 40 minutes OLDZ on Nightmare. Great fun!.
Or worse, If a crap AS map is voted then it feels like your waiting through 8 maps :\

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 27 Jul , 2012 8:42 pm

Agreed, certain crapmaps like Lego count when they're clearly rais.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Fri 27 Jul , 2012 8:47 pm

OLDZ is on as an element of revival of the playerbase, which has naturally lowered with the server move. As of this moment, judging by the peak count of the players, we used to have 50% more players on the server.

The reason for 0.10 vote (i.e practically disabling) is as follows: quits from RACE players on AS. The situation looked like this: first AS is voted at some point, but the game is stacked, causing quits from more players. The remaining players vote AS again, reducing the playercount even futher to 6 - 7 players, but giving a piss about it and keep voting AS until they quit on their own, leaving the server empty. Effectively, one could say that a little amount of AS players that remained is blocking the server for others willing to play RACE. So no, 0.10 vote for subsequent AS games is to ensure this doesn't happen.

Example: Right now, there has been a mass ragequit after 2k4z was voted (from 15.79 to 6.22 in avg. player count, on next map server had just 2 players!!!), and that's just one AS map in row only (previous was gasoline, which counts as RACE). Obviously, this doesn't look like fine, does it?

For crap maps, they are rather viewed by the response of the players. You could actually say, that with the failure of RACE and AS split, RACE players can practically dictate on this matter. If they would quit whenever AS is voted, we'd have no other option but split the server again.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 27 Jul , 2012 8:58 pm

Alright, let's be more clear about this:

The AS penalty is designed to stop successions of good maps (which can be stacked and which raisers don't like). Allowing maps which raisers do like and AS players don't to induce the good map penalty is unfair.

OLDZ is not a way to populate the server. OLDZ noobs quit en masse the minute OLDZ is left. OLDZ would have to be made permanent in order to keep such scrubs, which would essentially say that all the work we have collectively done to try to improve the gametype was wasted on raisers, who only want shit. They may be the majority, but the day they're allowed to drag everyone else back into the stone age is the day I'll be losing interest.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Fri 27 Jul , 2012 9:14 pm

Azarael wrote:The AS penalty is designed to stop successions of good maps (which can be stacked and which raisers don't like). Allowing maps which raisers do like and AS players don't to induce the good map penalty is unfair.
The 0.10 AS penalty has nothing to do with the maps.
Azarael wrote:OLDZ is not a way to populate the server. OLDZ noobs quit en masse the minute OLDZ is left. OLDZ would have to be made permanent in order to keep such scrubs, which would essentially say that all the work we have collectively done to try to improve the gametype was wasted on raisers, who only want shit. They may be the majority, but the day they're allowed to drag everyone else back into the stone age is the day I'll be losing interest.
OLDZ is good as long as it adds players to AS / RACE and not existing for itself. It worked during the AS / RACE split, don't see why it would not help now.