EMP appreciation topic

Discuss the Race / Assault server here.
iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: EMP appreciation topic

Post by iRobot » Sun 17 Jun , 2012 10:55 pm

This is the EMP appreciation topic.

By default, anyone who posts in it is now an EMP affectionado.

Good day.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 17 Jun , 2012 10:56 pm

The term is aficionado.

The above is invalidated.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Sun 17 Jun , 2012 11:50 pm

Azarael wrote:@skillcap: If you're for raising it, why lower it with the EMP/Quantum combo?
Obviously while it gives cheap kill now, it doesn't mean that the only thing that can be done is removal.
Azarael wrote:@opinions/solutions: Didn't manage to glean any point from that. There are reasons for personal preference, as there are for any other things. With raisers, more often than not, the reason is all too clear... :)
Opinion vs Solution: What I meant with that is the opinion is weighted with the respect towards the player (talking about the ragers, both AS and RACE). Solution isn't, you make your own opinion about that.

About personal preference - I do see what you mean with that ... but there is nothing bad on it. Anyway we're speaking strictly about RACE now. Say certain players are bored from gunless gameplay and other players are annoyed by them. That's what I meant now with personal preference.
Azarael wrote:@signature: If I can go backwards, so can you.
I went back in certain things as well, such as having MF originally w/o weps, which was complete bollocks (ye I know, spiders still ._.).

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Mon 18 Jun , 2012 12:29 pm

And what about allowing scorpions to jump? I thought it would be implemented at some point but it's not... Now that EMP loads before shooting, it would be interesting to be able to dodge it by jumping, for example by pressing once the jump key to make a small jump (not as high as a bender but enough to avoid a horizontal ray).
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 18 Jun , 2012 1:31 pm

Scorpions can jump currently, by performing a forward dodge while in a scorpion. (Recent addition, so I guess you haven't witnessed it yet.)

Seems like it would be viable to dodge the shot, but it's just easier to shield when you see the red targeting laser.

I do love the scorpion jump however. A lot of people don't even know it is there (How often do you forward dodge, especially in a car :D) so when they see a scorpion jump everyone's like WTF BRAH

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 19 Jun , 2012 9:20 am

Would adding the EMP as a second seat (character model is insignificant, could be like Goliath turret) make EMP more interesting? Due to the charge time, someone is unlikely to swap to the second seat if solo, unless the situation is really dependent on it - therefore, it might help alleviate some of the EMP spam, all the while encouraging team play.

Considering the objectives in scorpion maps follow the same rules as hellbender maps, with needing two people for each objective, having solo vehicles never made sense to me.

I've always been an advocate of multi person vehicles.

Takeo

Post by Takeo » Tue 19 Jun , 2012 10:34 am

Eventhough we already talked about the following, I will bring it up again in a slightly different version:
What do you guys think about limited EMP shots with the ability, to pick up some EMP's? (like in Carball you can get speed/rocket/mine/shield etc)

Even going one step further:
What do you guys think about the idea of taking away the weapons of the scorpion and place pickups on the map to gain weapons like in carball? (somehow it reminds me a bit of the movie Death Race)
So:
1. Scorpions have normal model (team-based colour)
2. Scorpions have 2x shield by default
3. The map has vehicle-pickups (VPickup or VP) spread over the field
4. Two ways for setting the gameplay:
4a) No "versions" of the map (except unarmed). The VPs will summon randomly chosen content (including shield, EMP, Minigun, Plasma, Shock, maybe even Mines) which have specified ammounts of ammo/time.
4b) Keep the current versions of the maps. VPs will summon the version specific content (EMP maps will spawn EMP and shield)

Of course this is just a baseline for the intention. We may discuss this in a new topic if you want.
I know.. the idea will be an excessive change of the gametype, but from my point of view the system would be a great improvement :)

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 19 Jun , 2012 11:32 am

Pickups is difficult to implement as it has to be integrated into each map, rather than through a mutator/addon - I believe this is what Izumo said.

Takeo

Post by Takeo » Tue 19 Jun , 2012 12:05 pm

On unarmed versions we go into each map and delete all the weapons as well. Adding pickup bases shouldn't be that hard after having created them once. And CarBall mutator should provide the script. We simply need to get the permission to edit the stuff from the carball community or create our own one.
I mean.. it's not that there are 100+ maps on the server. Editing the few one by one shouldn't take too long. Once they are edited, we can upload them all at once and finito ;)