Venoms in Race maps

Discuss the Race / Assault server here.

What do you think about Venoms in RACE maps?

It's good, we can easily own RACERS
25%
It's a fine map addition
21%
It's a fine map addition, but it's very easy to kill the benders
50%
I don't mind
4%
I don't like Venoms at all
No votes

Total votes: 24

Nardaq_NL

Re: Venoms in Race maps

Post by Nardaq_NL » Wed 11 Jul , 2012 3:52 pm

ok, option 1 is a bit overrated, depends who's your opponent :P
after all it will usually end up in venom vs venom the whole round

i can re vote to It's a fine map addition? or its to late (ok

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Thu 12 Jul , 2012 3:00 am

Azarael wrote:For the sake of clarification: Twin beams hit any vehicle easily. Venom fires hit ground vehicles easily. Both are not great against infantry, but the Venom is better. I'd say that twin beams are just as big a problem as the Venom itself when viewed with respect to the rais gametype, and there's a lot to gain from using a projectile implementation with Dragonflies instead.
I actually would not - the twin beams are not lethal to the Venom, whereas Venom is lethal to the benders. The purpose of twin beams in RACE is to push other benders off the track, it's what teamwork bender nerfs primarily. In most combats, Venom gets a single shot or two from the twin beams, receiving 200 - 400 damage. And since you're likely to be father from the base, fewer benders will make it, giving you enough time to regenerate back to 700 hp, so they get owned again.

On the benders, projectile attack would not change much, only the fact that the damage / push would be received with slight delay, because it's too easy to predict the movement. Think long range hits with shock scorps as a quite slow projectile (without considering the other properties, such as their instant kill :P ).
Azarael wrote:In an 8v8 game, 3 two-man benders per team can be fielded against a Venom. If that kind of advantage is not enough to destroy a 4-shot craft, then the error is with the players.
This is just wrong. I wonder when was the last time I saw 3 two-man benders together at all in RACE. This assumption is only valid should the benders of opposite teams shoot just the Venom, and not each other. No you maximally end up having two TWBs near each other, how to deal with them was described in the post before; and this doesn't happen very oftenly.

On the half-troll note, why do you think that Nardaq voted the Venom as "fine as it is" (assuming his change in prev. post)?
trollface

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 12 Jul , 2012 4:31 pm

Rather than argue this or the Dragonfly anymore I'm just going to demo and let actual gameplay speak for me. Both threads are now theorycrafting.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 13 Jul , 2012 7:53 pm

Theory or not, Venoms made a lot of rage on J-Vehiclerace today.

I'm sure the logs are there for your viewing pleasure.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 13 Jul , 2012 8:36 pm

That log was absolutely intense. Made wonderful reading.

I saw a HELL of a lot of names, almost all raisers, and not one actual argument. But I'm not going to dismiss it completely, because that map is relatively new.

If any of you are on during these games, I'd appreciate it if you could direct them here so that they can make complaints other than "venom op" or "venom sux".
Izumo wrote:This is just wrong. I wonder when was the last time I saw 3 two-man benders together at all in RACE. This assumption is only valid should the benders of opposite teams shoot just the Venom, and not each other. No you maximally end up having two TWBs near each other, how to deal with them was described in the post before; and this doesn't happen very oftenly.
I can't leave this one any longer. You're in the sky. You can be hit from almost anywhere with twin beams, unlike the benders on the track, and Venoms / Dragonflies are a priority target anyway. -_-

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Fri 13 Jul , 2012 8:49 pm

Perhaps J-VehicleRace is not a fitting map for Venoms, due to provided cover and absence of avrils.
Azarael wrote:I can't leave this one any longer. You're in the sky. You can be hit from almost anywhere with twin beams, unlike the benders on the track, and Venoms / Dragonflies are a priority target anyway. -_-
And when did it happen to you that you were being fired on by three benders? To me - never, because I always covered myself using the track or was safely out of range from the other benders. It's perhaps more difficult on certain parts of Hot Race, but not that much to expose yourself to other benders.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 13 Jul , 2012 8:51 pm

Fuck the AVRiL.

I've never been hit by 3 benders at once. At most, 2, and I've been soloed from 700hp a few times. But expecting optimal displays from raisers is a losing battle.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Fri 13 Jul , 2012 9:16 pm

Azarael wrote:I've never been hit by 3 benders at once. At most, 2, and I've been soloed from 700hp a few times. But expecting optimal displays from raisers is a losing battle.
They whey you consider that as an error by the players (that there are no 3 two-man benders shooting the Venom at once)?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 13 Jul , 2012 11:51 pm

Because the more people are shooting in total, the faster the Venom will die. Benders that do not engage not only die like bitches, but don't deal free hits to the Venom as it roves past them looking for targets.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sat 14 Jul , 2012 12:12 am

Venom is too powerful, just like the m50