Headphone Thread

Anything goes here. Keep it tasteful.
Calypto

Headphone Thread

Post by Calypto » Thu 12 Jul , 2012 5:52 am

Refreshed 0 times; didn't even look
Don't you just wish you had headphones of this tier?
Attachments
IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG (40.11 KiB) Viewed 3544 times

Liubot

Re: Headphone Thread

Post by Liubot » Sun 15 Jul , 2012 9:43 am

Actually the HD800 is their flagship model.

The headphone on that pic is a Sennheiser HD700.

Speaking of hi end headphones, you'll also need an amplifier to power them which will also cost you over 1000 Euros.

Liubot

Post by Liubot » Sun 15 Jul , 2012 1:23 pm

Those headphones need to be powered by an amplifier not to make them super loud.

It's one of the more common things people tend to overlook when buying headphones. If you look at any audiophile setup, all of them will have an amp. That's because most audiophile headphones have very high impedance from 300 to 600 Ohm. Which means that they will basically have no volume if u just plug it into a computer or iPod.

Furthermore, it is still recommended to get an amplifier even if you don't have a 1000 dollar headphone, because the headphone is not the only factor that can affect the sound quality. The source/audio file, the Digital at Analog converter (which converts the 10101110s into sound waves) and the actual amplifying unit can also greatly affect the sound. Since iPods and computers all come with crappy or adequate internal amps, they won't be able to power high end headphones. By that I mean that an HD800 won't sound better than a 50 Euro headphone if you just run them without a dedicated amplifier.

So buying an expensive headphone and plugging it into an iPod to computer is like having a Ferrari with a V4 Ford engine. It looks kick ass in the outside, but quite disappointing performance wise.

I have a an 160 Euro headphone paired with an 120 Euro amplifier, and believe me, the amplifier did make a difference.

If you are familiar with full sized speakers, then it's very similar with headphones, the amp is just as important as the speakers/headphones.

Headphones like the HD650, HD700, HD800 are all an open back design. So that means it does not isolate any sound from the outside, and people around you will be able to hear the music as well. They are designed to be listened to in a quiet, private environment. Since some people can't afford to spit out over 20000 Euros for a high end speaker system, they can get similar sound quality with "just" about 2000 Euros with a headphone system.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sun 15 Jul , 2012 7:05 pm

Damn, well said. Are you into AKG/beyer headphones? The k/q701 are good phones, but require some driving. As for the 800, why want something you can't afford? The audio quality is more than you need, as they were meant for mastering.

Liubot

Post by Liubot » Sun 15 Jul , 2012 7:57 pm

I can't afford any high end headphone stuff:(
I was planning on getting a HD650 with an amp, but I never could pull the trigger on it because I am not into music stuff THAT much, plus I have better places to spend my money on.

I've heard lot of good stuff on Beyers and AKGs. Although people tend to say that the K701 is more for studio use rather than home listening. The K701 has a flat response, while audiophiles generally like a warmer sound (a bit of extra mid bass with less high frequencies) to make listening less tiring to the ears.

I'm not sure, but the way I know it is that the AKG K701 is more for studio monitoring, and the HD800 is for audiophile listening. Although it's not set in stone that one must use a headphone for one specific purpose.
Calypto wrote:The audio quality is more than you need, as they were meant for mastering.
I think its never enough until you can afford it:) and oftentimes studios don't use super expensive equipments. I mean perceiving sound is different for everyone, and there are a lot of hypes. Like companies make speaker and headphone cables that can cost thousands of Euros. The myth about headphone burn in etc...

You seem to be into headphones Calypto

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sun 15 Jul , 2012 11:04 pm

Liubot wrote:I can't afford any high end headphone stuff:(
I was planning on getting a HD650 with an amp
Head-fi has a section where users list their headphones and amps for sale that they don't want or get bills that need paying. (Ironic, $700 headphones being sold to pay bills) If you don't mind a gently used headphone with some burn in already done for you, it's a good bet. I saw some HD650s for only $350.
Liubot wrote:
Calypto wrote:The audio quality is more than you need, as they were meant for mastering.
I think its never enough until you can afford it:) and oftentimes studios don't use super expensive equipments. I mean perceiving sound is different for everyone, and there are a lot of hypes. Like companies make speaker and headphone cables that can cost thousands of Euros. The myth about headphone burn in etc...

You seem to be into headphones Calypto
HD800 is basically a perfect headphone, if you listen to crap MP3 files you'll actually get to hear the encoding "warp tunnels" so to speak. If have lots of FLAC files, you're good to go, but you're grounded down to those.

Liubot

Post by Liubot » Wed 18 Jul , 2012 5:58 pm

1DeViLiShDuDe wrote:
Liubot wrote:like having a Ferrari with a V4 Ford engine
LOL! So, do those have separate 'High Dynamic' ranges for Bass, Midrange & Treble as well? Or is it just the one speaker with digital filtering?

Because I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where all that money is being applied, is the framing assembly titanium? or something with zero vibrational response? And the digital trans & inputs some sort of new high tech polymer with less than 0.001% signal loss that cost huge amounts of money to develop?

Just curious, cuz I have a simple set - that seems to work just fine, although when I start a bit of mixing/dubbing with some new hardware - I may think twice about getting a better pair! :P
I think the HD800 have some kind of magnesium frame, and I really don't know what kind of stuff are the cables, drivers etc. are made out of.

But audiophiles have been really liking the HD800 and many other hi end headphones, so those cans must have something special in them. Most people don't even care what or how are their headphones made out of, as long as they like the sound of it.

I could guess that quite a bit of money is applied on the engineering part.

Liubot

Post by Liubot » Wed 18 Jul , 2012 6:04 pm

Calypto wrote:Head-fi has a section where users list their headphones and amps for sale that they don't want or get bills that need paying. (Ironic, $700 headphones being sold to pay bills) If you don't mind a gently used headphone with some burn in already done for you, it's a good bet. I saw some HD650s for only $350.
Thanks for the suggestion! I've been thinking about that for quite a while and I've decided that I don't need a headphone like that. I'm mostly a earphone guy.

I have my Sennheiser HD25 for home or traveling, and a bunch of IEMs for on-the-go use. Plus I have a speaker system, and I don't find myself listening to music a lot anyways.

As I said before, I've got better places to spend my money on :D

Although I've been looking at the B&W P5 lately, they are very classy looking.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Mon 06 May , 2013 5:38 am

Don't mind me, I'm counting bits trollface
Attachments
IMG_1642.JPG

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 06 May , 2013 1:59 pm

>tape