Weighted mapvoting

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
giZmo
Hogwarts Professor

Weighted mapvoting

Post by giZmo » Sat 21 Jul , 2012 2:11 am

You might have noticed that many big good maps perfectly fitting for a 11vs11 game of freon are not available in the evening/night when BW#1 is full.
That happens cause they are played in the afternoon or even morning with often less then 8 players.
To prevent that i had the idea to add weighted mapvoting, already know from AS/Race, to BW#1.
Thx to Izumo for setting this up :)

Currently votecount is set to:

0 - 14 players on server = 0.3
18 - 22 players on server = 1.0
between 14-18 it changes gradually

Currently the maps using that exception:

1) DM-Highlander2k12
2) DM-Goatswood[Opt]
3) DM-DE-Osiris2
4) DM-FreeTibet
5) DM-Observatory2k4
6) DM-Blackhawk][2k12
7) DM-AMDK-Village
8) DM-AMDK-RiftCity
9) DM-UrbanHotZone2K4
10) DM-Rail[F]
11) DM-Toys-Story
12) DM-CBP1-Neandertalus
13) DM-AMDK-OldHaven
14) DM-Sarigono[F]
15) DM-Grotto
16) DM-WarmBody
17) DM-Lilliput2006
18) DM-Helmzdeep
19) DM-Romoon
20) DM-BE-Octance2k12
21) DM-DM-Serenissima
22) DM-Barricade

Explanation:

Lets say there are 8 people on server playing rankin. After map is finished 6 of them vote Highlander and 2 vote for Hellsgate.

Highlander gets 1.8 (6 x 0.3)
Hellsgate gets 2 (2 x 1) -> Map wins

With 18 players on server all maps have the same votecount and can be voted like before.
"We never truly know how to appreciate something until we have lost it forever."

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Re: Weighted mapvoting

Post by iZumo » Sun 26 Aug , 2012 8:48 pm

Added DM-VK'S-PLAYGROUND!-b3 to the list (for now).

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 29 Nov , 2012 7:20 pm

Map voting related so I will refrain from inducing another topic.

Could we up the map revote limit from 70 to 100, or higher?

There are well over 200 maps on this server, and only about 80 of them get played. It's always the same garbage such as Urban____, Urban____, Highlander, Under_LE etc etc.

It must take about 24 hours to play through 70 maps, because every night without fail for the past few days, UrbanHotZone has been played.

Break the cycle guys, lets get some new maps played.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 29 Nov , 2012 7:23 pm

Agreed. Tired of the same maps every day.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Fri 30 Nov , 2012 1:17 am

I would keep certain maps on 70 repeat limit. I'd say that certain part of the players likes to play their gg of Highlander / Goatswood on daily basis. But in general I agree as well. There were request to allow voting maps based of current time, i.e make the above specified voteable only in evenings.

giZmo
Hogwarts Professor

Post by giZmo » Fri 30 Nov , 2012 2:06 am

Izumo_CZ wrote:I would keep certain maps on 70 repeat limit. I'd say that certain part of the players likes to play their gg of Highlander / Goatswood on daily basis. But in general I agree as well. There were request to allow voting maps based of current time, i.e make the above specified voteable only in evenings.
Excactly my point
"We never truly know how to appreciate something until we have lost it forever."

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 30 Nov , 2012 11:56 am

There were request to allow voting maps based of current time, i.e make the above specified voteable only in evenings.
The issue I was raising is that we already play the same maps every night, night after night.

How will making those maps only playable in the evening, go anywhere towards fixing that?

It's going to make it even worse.
Last edited by iRobot on Fri 30 Nov , 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

giZmo
Hogwarts Professor

Post by giZmo » Fri 30 Nov , 2012 11:59 am

iRobot wrote:The issue I was raising is that we already play the same maps every night, night after night.
Maybe the regular players WANT to play their favourite maps at least one time at evening ???

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 30 Nov , 2012 12:04 pm

giZmo wrote:
iRobot wrote:The issue I was raising is that we already play the same maps every night, night after night.
Maybe the regular players WANT to play their favourite maps at least one time at evening ???
Then why have a map revote limit at all if it's entirely dictated by the players and the players only? Just let them play the same map repeatedly if it's their favourite. Enjoy Highlander followed by another game of Highlander.

To use you as an example, you often quit if stock UT2004 maps are voted, presumably because they are 'boring' and 'overplayed'. Why is it wrong for me to feel the same way about the current selection?

I'm not soliciting to remove them from the map pool. It'd just be nice to play something with different scenery.

They are approximately 200-250 maps in the pool. You only have to sort the list by games since last play, and you can easily see which maps are neglected. As soon as a map hits #71 on the vote menu, it's voted. It's beyond tedious.

Adding vote weights so the maps in OP are unlikely to be played in the early day just makes it extremely repetitive for players in the evening. Would you prefer it going to RACE levels where every map is just a copy paste of the previous one, with different colours?

The admins in general seem to listen to this invisible voice of players on the server that never speak, never visit the forums, and is all maybes, to dictate the decisions on how the server moves forward. Who's to say they don't want to play something new also? For all we know people vote whatever map is picked first, and just double click it. (In fact I can guarantee this is what happens most of the time.)

Melee was nerfed, people said the server would empty in a day. Self-thawing in overtime was disabled, people said the server would empty in a day. Other than a few 'awwwwws' people have dealt with it. New maps isn't going to kill the server -_-

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Fri 30 Nov , 2012 2:08 pm

Let's make it a compromise. I don't think there is many maps on the evening list: Highlander, Goatswood, and (maybe FreeTibet)?