Weighted mapvoting

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
aapchen
V.I.P. Member

Re: Weighted mapvoting

Post by aapchen » Fri 30 Nov , 2012 5:13 pm

Maybe I'm the only 1 in here, but I thought there are too many maps to be selected in the voting menu. If it was up to me I would take out at least 50%. There's so many shit maps in the map pool in my opinion. And there are just SO many.

I have played many game types in the past and most mods only had like 10 or 20 maps (DM, iCTF, TAM, AS, ONS etc.). In BW we have, what, 300 maps? I'd rather choose from 50 GOOD maps :), and yeah the maps will come back each day. But does that matter?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 30 Nov , 2012 6:07 pm

I have problems with the current situation as well, and I'd describe my position as equal to that of iRobot. When the same maps are voted every day and no opportunity is given for players to consistently familiarise themselves with other, lesser played maps, of course the status quo will not change. Allowing excessive compromise which still allows the evening to be dominated by certain maps is almost the same thing.

@aap: While there may be some bad maps (which? playercount dependent or not?), lack of experience on behalf of all the players with rarely voted maps contributes negatively to their perception. BW isn't stock and a maplist composed of our overplayed maps plus the TAM maplist wouldn't necessarily be the best maplist.

Spin

Post by Spin » Fri 11 Jan , 2013 2:21 pm

CTF maps should be weighted too. No joy playing huge map with 3 players and 3 bots.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 11 Jan , 2013 2:36 pm

Thank you for indirectly reminding me about this topic.

I still do not feel the vote weight changes have had any impact on reducing the same maps being played.

giZmo
Hogwarts Professor

Post by giZmo » Fri 11 Jan , 2013 3:50 pm

iRobot wrote:I still do not feel the vote weight changes have had any impact on reducing the same maps being played.
That was never the intention of it
"We never truly know how to appreciate something until we have lost it forever."

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 11 Jan , 2013 4:05 pm

We're throwing arbitrary rules into the vote system to ensure the same maps are available in the evenings everyday.

Then in the same topic, we are saying perhaps it's best left up to the players.

I'm sorry but one standpoint needs to be chosen.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 29 Jul , 2013 6:09 pm

Any possibility of making this less STRICT?

I'm tired of voting for a map I enjoy only to be met with 0.04, 0.3 or lower, or even sometimes it completely stonewalls you with a 'Sorry, you cannot vote this map right now.'

It doesn't even do this on 1on1 maps, it's quite a few that seem to be weighted down for no apparent reason.

#lesshighlander #lessamdk #nomorehelmsdeep

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Mon 29 Jul , 2013 7:44 pm

iRobot wrote:Any possibility of making this less STRICT?

I'm tired of voting for a map I enjoy only to be met with 0.04, 0.3 or lower, or even sometimes it completely stonewalls you with a 'Sorry, you cannot vote this map right now.'

It doesn't even do this on 1on1 maps, it's quite a few that seem to be weighted down for no apparent reason.

I agree, the mapper of Toy's Story recommends the map to be played with 6-10 players, not 22.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Mon 29 Jul , 2013 11:57 pm

iRobot wrote:Any possibility of making this less STRICT?

It's weighted only over playercount, the maps will have normal vote when there is enough players. (Also a little derp in the "0.04" votes to fix (so it jumps on 0.3 when the "minimum" player condition is satisfied).

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Tue 30 Jul , 2013 9:36 am

The fact that the people vote for the maps means they would prefer to play that map... and there is a small list of maps that are always selected!
They may select them because:
-The player know the map.
-The player performs good in the map.
-The player likes the map.
-The player is voting against other map to be selected
-The player is indifferent and just follows the majority

Once you know the sweet spot in the map you increase your chances of doing better.

Maybe would be a nice solution to add an easy to select random map feature in the selection panel. :idea: Maybe some random 15-22 player maps, or random 1-15 player map, as also a least played map random selection.

But in the end is better the good known than the better to be known ;)
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)