Discussion - The Killstreak System

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Discussion - The Killstreak System

Post by Azarael » Wed 07 Nov , 2012 12:16 am

Recent events have exposed some dissatisfaction with the killstreak system, namely that only the best players can have streaks, while the lower players are always the victims of them. I acknowledge that this is a problem, and thinking upon it more today I'm no longer happy with it. Bearing in mind that the system was initially created to a) give players a good reason to try to stay alive and b) get weapons which cannot be balanced into the game in some capacity, I would like to hear some discussion upon the system, around the following points:

1) Is there a viable replacement or modification to the Killstreak system which will allow all players a fair chance of acquiring such weapons? I had initially considered a killstreak option which would enable you to take a random weapon of a level above, with the drawback that this weapon would be distributed to one of your teammates and not yourself.

In any solutions, please try to avoid random number generation.

2) Should the Killstreak system be outright removed?

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: Discussion - The Killstreak System

Post by iRobot » Wed 07 Nov , 2012 12:32 am

It's a great system. One of the few things that really gives the BW server replayability for me at least.

I think the main issue is that the further you get in the streak, the better the weapons get, which just further pushes you into the higher streaks, for less difficulty.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 07 Nov , 2012 12:34 am

Possible, but consider also that other players are notified of your streak and will/should begin to target you, so you'll need the power to continue.

Spin

Post by Spin » Wed 07 Nov , 2012 12:42 am

Azarael wrote: 1) I had initially considered a killstreak option which would enable you to take a random weapon of a level above, with the drawback that this weapon would be distributed to one of your teammates and not yourself.
I was thinking same thing. Give it to lowest ranking player on team who has at least 1 kill and low camper warning count.

Perhaps you could give two points in killstreak if you kill top enemy player.
Azarael wrote: 2) Should the Killstreak system be outright removed?
No. Just remove Nuke.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 07 Nov , 2012 1:04 am

The current changes:

Nuke is Killstreak 4.
Nuke (or whichever weapon is designated Killstreak 4) is usable only once and does not resupply between rounds.

Implementing Streaks 1 and 2 which give a random non-self player on your team a streak weapon of one level higher.

Nerfing the EVPC.

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Wed 07 Nov , 2012 1:09 am

Not distrubuted randomly, distributed randomly to the lowest teammates.
Although it has to be someone with a minimum of points.., or a minimum of eifficiency. Someone with a plasma will only blow himself, not really a gift then.

So it could be at a small % yourself getting the killstreak, & at a huge one a lower teammate.

Then the question about the Nuke doesn't show up. Just assign a chance to get a killstreak, like 25% firethrower, dual and MOP, 10% peacemaker and lignting, 4% plasma & 1% Nuke. So you'll rarely give the Nuke out, & quit always the lvl1 & so on.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 07 Nov , 2012 1:11 am

The problem I have with randomness is that it's equally frustrating for everyone.

Consider a fair coin, with 1/2 a chance of heads or tails. Now consider that it's possible for a coin to flip 8 times for the same result. Apply this to a nuke (1/100 chance in your model) and you still have a situation where some players are never going to see plasma or nukes.

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Wed 07 Nov , 2012 1:13 am

As the chances are random, only luck choose yourseld. You can't be MAD at luck.

As long as u srand(..) it should be randomized :lol:

And currently only a few has ever seen plasma & nuke. So all others are frustrated. Even worse knowing that its not based on luck.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Wed 07 Nov , 2012 1:22 am

Hmm, the killstreak for another player could be given to the player with his Net being closest to 0 and not having killstreak weapon active. Not an entire noob but unable to get it on his own.

aapchen
V.I.P. Member

Post by aapchen » Wed 07 Nov , 2012 1:31 am

The better players also want to be able to use goodies once in a while. Implement a diestreak too to equal out things :P.