Peace

Anything goes here. Keep it tasteful.
Todori

Peace

Post by Todori » Sat 17 Nov , 2012 12:56 am

Let's pray for peace in Gaza/Israel, even if you don't believe in (a) god.
Todori = Pro

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Peace

Post by Azarael » Sat 17 Nov , 2012 2:02 am

I don't, so I won't, and you're wasting your time. The fighting will continue until one faction, be it Israel or the Arab states of the Middle East, is destroyed.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Sat 17 Nov , 2012 11:56 am

Peace through power.

Pinky
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Pinky » Sat 17 Nov , 2012 5:00 pm

Praying won't help. Religion is one of the major causes why this region has been at war for hundreds of years.
The only sane way to gain peace is to stop delivering weapons to the states in that region. The other way, as Aza pointed out, is the complete destruction of one faction.
And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know.
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws,
And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall, and not a soul to hear.

Todori

Post by Todori » Sat 17 Nov , 2012 10:19 pm

Perhaps you are right.
If peace is not possible, at least there should be no war.

[
Pinky wrote:Praying won't help. Religion is one of the major causes why this region has been at war for hundreds of years.

The problem is, that they dont have the same religion. A world without belief and hope isn't a place i want to live (there allways is something to trust in).
You guys are just so skeptical. :roll:
Todori = Pro

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 18 Nov , 2012 3:07 am

Skeptical and right. Hope is independent of religion and faith.

Deathblade
System Administrator

Post by Deathblade » Sun 18 Nov , 2012 3:29 am

Pinky wrote:Praying won't help. Religion is one of the major causes why this region has been at war for hundreds of years.

If I may, religion is the cause of almost every conflict raged on this earth.
The LDG admin !

Pinky
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Pinky » Sun 18 Nov , 2012 4:52 am

Todori wrote:The problem is, that they dont have the same religion.
Even the Palestinian people fought against each other some time ago :roll:
Todori wrote:A world without belief and hope isn't a place i want to live (there allways is something to trust in).
You guys are just so skeptical. :roll:
Scepticism is the prime duty for anyone with a free will and an open mind. You shouldn't just believe in things because someone else told you to do so. You should always be sceptical and come to your own conclusions based on rational evidences. Here are some words from the British philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell you might want to think about:
Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake. If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.
and further:
My conclusion is that there is no reason to believe any of the dogmas of traditional theology and, further, that there is no reason to wish that they were true. Man, in so far as he is not subject to natural forces, is free to work out his own destiny. The responsibility is his, and so is the opportunity.
Blind believe in religion has oppressed the scientific and cultural evolution of mankind for a long time. Just imagine where we could stand right now if we wouldn't have wasted a lot of time during the Middle Ages.

Russell wrote some nice essays on the criticism of religion you maybe want try to read. Another prominent work is "The God Delusion " by Richard Dawkins. If you want a less philosophic/scientific work then you could read "god is not Great" by Christopher Hitchens. But again: don't just believe what's written in those books but come to your own conclusions.
And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know.
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws,
And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall, and not a soul to hear.

Todori

Post by Todori » Sun 18 Nov , 2012 8:08 pm

I wrote "trust and believe", but i dont speak about religion or God when is use those words.
Everyone gots his own faith.
When some people believe in the same thing and call it God, there is nothing wrong with that, perhpas those religion explenations are right and perhaps not.
I got some philosophics here by myself (Kant and Aristoteles). Sceptical and believe/trust/religion is no objection.
Todori = Pro

john

Post by john » Mon 03 Dec , 2012 2:44 pm

Peace!

no need for explanation
its just a belief