Ballistic Bro Changelogs Discussion

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
Calypto

Re: Ballistic Bro Changelogs Discussion

Post by Calypto » Thu 20 Aug , 2015 4:56 pm

Azarael wrote:I thought that in order to use 2400 RPM, you had to deploy?
No?

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 20 Aug , 2015 4:58 pm

While I am not saying the minigun is overpowered, it does require a shorter time to kill than your average assault rifle, due to the very nature of the weapon. BWPro is an enthusiast mod which tries to stay honest to the real world behaviour of these weapons. Some liberties are taken for gameplay reasons (iron sighting a minigun on the move being one of them) but the founding rules are still adhered to. The weapon is a minigun, a super-heavy weapon and if it didn't kill anyone more quickly than an assault rifle then it would serve no purpose in the game. You have the drawbacks of reduced jump height, slower movement and noise penalty if you happen to keep the barrel warm which are good enough to preserve the weapons slot in the regular loadout. Alternative strategies should be employed to defeat a user of this weapon than simply head on combat, including but not limited to switching your loadout to longer range weaponry.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Thu 20 Aug , 2015 5:08 pm

Well, I'll opt for staying out of the spam zones instead of trying to go against xmv or DS or nano, specially in highlander tunnel.
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Thu 20 Aug , 2015 5:11 pm

For some reason people really need those spam zones to enjoy the game.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Thu 20 Aug , 2015 5:17 pm

Perhaps it is just a legacy of the spammy , enclosed areas certain maps have. I cannot pretend I wasn't mightly peeved with half the team entering the tunnels, knowing full well two minigun users were blasting the tunnel apart, and having to make desperate and futile raids to bail them out.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 20 Aug , 2015 5:19 pm

It's only taken four years, but finally people have realized that pandering to bads has a very real cost :)

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Thu 20 Aug , 2015 5:23 pm

CaptainXavious wrote:For some reason people really need those spam zones to enjoy the game.
Ow, I do enjoy a good balanced match in a spam hall, when it comes to a point that you are able to do something. Lately is It was unfreezing, trying to get out of there between bodies and opponents spamming, and get killed in the attempt, wait 1 minute or more and repeat. Or optionally, spam back and die trying to get someone down in the process.
And many weapons that have push or displacement, the displacement and push work immediately after unfreezing meanwhile you are "protected". So to aim or counter attack the body campers is quite difficult also.
You'll never get passed with the xmv shooting at you while you unfreeze.
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Greedisgood

Post by Greedisgood » Thu 20 Aug , 2015 5:35 pm

Apart from the tunnel, Highlander is actually a pretty good map. Its a shame when it ends in a forced compulsive thawing competition. This area is simply incopatible with Freon and no matter how much i discourage my team from diving in to attempt that ugly coin flip, they naturally end up inside in a chase or taking a shortcut. Proxy healing makes even the grenades ineffective, especially with a limit of one per 3-5 minutes of struggle. XMV might be too strong in the tunnel, but only because that area is overall fucked up.
"Not one has eggs to chance" - Brötchen of Hellfire

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Thu 20 Aug , 2015 5:36 pm

So uh, any other scenarios where the minigun dominates that doesn't involve packing your entire team into a small area where you can't get away?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 20 Aug , 2015 5:40 pm

I should more clearly explain my rationale.

It seems that we're now blaming the weapons for the flaws in the maps. Not only is that faulty reasoning, doing anything about it is an extremely bad idea for the following reasons:

1) The map is at fault
2) When the maps are adjusted to remove the flaws, people quit the game - attacking the problem from a different angle will result in exactly the same issue

It needs to be accepted that you all can't have it both ways. The game cannot be fundamentally free of unfair shit if such unfair shit is necessary to keep casuals on the server.