Tekkit Server?

Discuss the Minecraft server here.
Anhrak

Tekkit Server?

Post by Anhrak » Mon 10 Dec , 2012 11:13 am

Hey all. After being away from the minecraft community for some time, I would like to suggest if the LDG would, first either be capable of, create an aditional Tekkit server aside from the Vanilla Mc server.

What is Tekkit?
Tekkit is a modpack that is set on a 1.2.5 minecraft version. Although the non-updateable minecraft version, it has some good sides about it compared to other modpacks. Server software is still available.

Pro's
- More learning and variation, a source of motivation for many people.
- Low enforced admin activity. As it never updates, it never requires frequent effort to update it and synchronize versions between clients/servers.
- Bukkit compatible, so all nessecary plugins can still be installed.
- Everything is available still. This means that plugins are still able to get, along with the server software and client launchers.
- Cheat-unsensitive, the only 'community management' thing will be monitoring behavior, as cheating serves no profit anymore; everything is accesable if you're decently advanced already.
- Populair. Tekkit is famous modpack, meaning that it will contribute the LDG community with more players.
- 2 separate maps. People who built a lot in the Vanilla minecraft map can still continue, and are not enforced to go with the flow.
- Show your experience! As tekkit includes seriously a lot of new stuff, you can not only show your creativity but also show your experience with highly advanced structures, such as fully automatic factories.
- It's fun. Tekkit includes a lot of stuff that are fun to do together, meaning that people retain more gaming pleasure than doing the same thing over and over.

Con's
- Server performance. Tekkit takes (only a bit, though) more server performance than Vanilla minecraft does.
- Major griefs, because tekkit contains a bigger explosive, however these can be disabled. Also, plugins allow people to still protect their own land.
- it's 1.2.5. This means that many items that we know as of 1.3.1 are not added, however many mods in the modpack already included those, such as Emerald, Ender Chests, etc.

focus

Re: Tekkit Server?

Post by focus » Mon 10 Dec , 2012 2:12 pm

Is it a good idea to split community between servers? Its quite small now.
Anyone want to have even more sparsely populated server?
Although, I recognize that tekkit server can attract audience that want exactly tekkit, not just a vanilla MC.
IMO, audience gain is a #1 task now for this MC server.

** MERGED FROM LATER POST **
One more thing about tekkit. I havent played with it before. And havent played with mods included in it. But ive read various docs about some included mods. And i could say, that these mods have very controversial features that provide controversial opportunities.
For example, ComputerCraft. Is it ok to have programmable computer within game? What about programs, with infinite loops, that will consume server resources?
Or what about IndustrialCraft&Buildcraft that provide opportunities to literally suck whole areas of world down to bedrock with its miners/pumps/quarries etc? btw. Such thing is also possible with ComputerCraft. Are you really want to see world, that looks more like a swiss cheese?
Rei's Minimap. Some servers consider this a cheating mod. nuff said.
Thats only a few mods that i know. Perhaps, others also have issues.

On the same time, I would like to see RailCraft in game. Although it also raise questions with its tunnel bore, for example.
Last edited by focus on Mon 10 Dec , 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anhrak

Post by Anhrak » Mon 10 Dec , 2012 3:00 pm

The hazards that circulair devices are as big as circulair devices now, that isn't much of a problem.

Computercraft has it's limitations. One major thing it's about is to display information, often in an animation, or to specify a redstone output triggered by a certain typed input. It can't do really hazardous things that you fear of.

There are items that served as redstone clocks, but these items are well-made by avoiding server lag; they just became pulse generators, saving the actual need for clocks.

Real performance-eating items can nonetheless be disabled, such as world-anchors.

About the buildcraft features, they aren't as 'good' as you think. One, they require a LOT of resources to be made, some even require a whole process to create. And if that isn't even enough, it requires a ton of energy and time to actually power these machines. Buildcraft is, in my opinion, well-balanced.

Deathblade
System Administrator

Post by Deathblade » Tue 11 Dec , 2012 12:44 am

I already played with buildcraft, engines eat tons of energy and are not easy to make so not really a problem...
But I never tried computercraft or others mods included !

Btw it is compatible with minecraft forge ? I want to add the Trains and Zeppelin mod because I think it can add more fun :)
The LDG admin !

focus

Post by focus » Tue 11 Dec , 2012 12:49 am

Wow! DB himself! Wanna join our humble MC world? Or you already have a base there?

Deathblade
System Administrator

Post by Deathblade » Tue 11 Dec , 2012 1:57 am

I sometimes play MC ^^
I like create adventure maps too, I made one a few times ago and working on a second atm !
The LDG admin !

Anhrak

Post by Anhrak » Tue 11 Dec , 2012 10:27 am

Hey Blade, thanks for coming =).

I'm not sure if Tekkit is compatible with forge. HOWEVER, there is another version of tekkit that actually *is* compatible with forge: Feed The Beast.

Feed The Beast is a sort-of up to date version of Tekkit, however it has a bit more good/bad sides:

Pro's on FTB
- Updated, meaning it can be go with the flow of the minecraft version
- More noticable mods such as more biomes
- Forge is used here, meaning you can add your own client-side mods too.
- Less overpower that came with older versions (The 'Invincible' Red Matter armour is gone, Items cannot be just created as arrays, condensers and collectors no longer exist
, No infinite energy from merely using Water Strainers)
- Active management on the FTB staff, meaning mods can added/deleted anytime.

Con's on FTB
- Many mods you're used to are gone (Redpower, The saw mod, meaning you can't build in extreme detail anymore)
- Buggy, as it is very new and everything has yet to be tweaked
- Bukkit incombatible, meaning that a lot of community management and protection plugins are not useable.
- Very active tech-admin activity requirement, as FTB updates constantly every week.

I'm experienced in both tekkit and ftb, so I can help out a fair lot if nessecary.

Deathblade
System Administrator

Post by Deathblade » Fri 14 Dec , 2012 5:02 pm

well, what is the best choice ?
The LDG admin !

Anhrak

Post by Anhrak » Sun 16 Dec , 2012 10:33 pm

Tekkit.

Deathblade
System Administrator

Post by Deathblade » Sun 16 Dec , 2012 10:50 pm

Well, what is others MC admin's opinion?
The LDG admin !