Assault Ladder

Discuss the Race / Assault server here.

Do you want the skill of the players to be public or not?

Yes, make it public for everyone
49%
No, show only my own skill
No votes
No, don't show skill at all
51%

Total votes: 35

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: Assault Ladder

Post by iRobot » Sun 05 May , 2013 9:24 pm

Azarael wrote:1) Users, including myself and iRobot, have admitted gaming the system by taking vehicle deaths whenever
..I didn't admit to that. That's a little extreme, and someone who cared so much for skill ranking wouldn't come here and ask for 1k deaths. I admitted to hanging back and sniping where possible.

But I digest..

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Sun 05 May , 2013 9:26 pm

Azarael wrote:1) Users, including myself and iRobot, have admitted gaming the system by taking vehicle deaths whenever possible and nothing has happened
2) +1000 deaths is ridiculously high
3) I don't see that the player was ever warned
4) Unless I've missed a demo, there's no actual proof one way or another that how this player chooses to play benefits him at the expense of his team
The way I see it:

Ad 1) Sure, nothing is perfect, but I don't see this would have a significant impact on the current game / skill as you don't get much from them. There also isn't that many vehicles in the AS maps.

Ad 2) +1000 deaths was given based on the gaming of the system is subjected to take a long time and caused him to become No. 2 player, and thus considered severe (a ban from the ladder is considered).

Ad 3) Same for 2).

Ad 4) That's what Socio reports (playing benefits at the expense of his team) + H&Some kind of conffesed to that.

btw. There is no bias on skilled players, it's just the same as when we argued about BW skill system (the damage thing).

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 05 May , 2013 9:27 pm

Edited the post in light of the false solidarity.

Was the confession explicit? He himself suggested that his team would lose or suffer for his own gain, and didn't merely respond to a loaded quesiton?

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Sun 05 May , 2013 9:38 pm

> BabyDontHurtMeNoMore: defend first, great
> BabyDontHurtMeNoMore: means blue team isnt going to finish
> BabyDontHurtMeNoMore: huehuehue
> team-spec*Socio: means you will camp in corners and frm lg kills
> team-spec*Socio: like you do most time on def ^^
> BabyDontHurtMeNoMore: if this was a skillmap, yes
> team-spec*Socio: Adminchat: bcuz i spoke the truth?
> team-spec*Socio: Adminchat: he does the on all skillmaps
> WebAdmin [Azarael]: Adminchat: well yes it's true
Pretty much explicit to me, as "frm" was used (BabyDontHurtMeNoMore was on red, Socio on blue). He's picking them on that "the game is disbalanced" and openly admitting to play normally now and not for his own benefit (when it's would actually be helpful to balance the game a bit more, on which Socio picks him).

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Sun 05 May , 2013 10:04 pm

We established earlier in the topic, and you admitted it yourself Izumo, that we all change playstyle on skill maps.

Playing specifically different, just because skill system is enabled, implies greater care in numbers, and therefore everyone is guilty of the same.

Choosing a different tactical approach just because of the consequences (in this case, skill ranking) is just as harmful to the 'data collecting' than standing back and defending out of the line of fire.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 05 May , 2013 11:00 pm

He responded to Socio's loaded question "sit back in the corner and frm LG kills". At best that's an admission of what he's already declared; he changes his playstyle on ranked maps.

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Mon 06 May , 2013 12:31 am

Izumo_CZ wrote:
> BabyDontHurtMeNoMore: defend first, great
> WebAdmin [Azarael]: Adminchat: well yes it's true
Pretty much explicit to me, as "frm" was used (BabyDontHurtMeNoMore was on red, Socio on blue). He's picking them on that "the game is disbalanced" and openly admitting to play normally now and not for his own benefit (when it's would actually be helpful to balance the game a bit more, on which Socio picks him).
I think this chatlog is the root of all problems. Ill try to clear a few things up:

BabyDontHurtMeNoMore: defend first, great
With this three lines I only stated in a joking way that with me on the defending (red) team the blue team has no chance of finishing the map within the given time. Wasnt ment in a serious or offending manner in any way.

At this point of time when the conversation took place ingame Ive never visited this website/forum before and therefore didnt know what exactly "frm" ment and its not explained on the server itself. In the context it made the most sense to me that replacing "frm" with the little word "get" to give the sentence a sense for my understanding (using frm as a short form of farm makes absolutely no sense to me however). Though I have to admit, even if the word was "farm" I would have agreed because I didnt know that you guys use "farm" only for very bad things. So to make it short, I simply confirmed that "I make a lot of LG kills from a on-purpose-made-very-useful-defending-spot".

Thats a wrong statement. I do use the wonderful defending spots with Lightning Gun, Ammo and Health whereever Socio created them. And thats mostly on Hera and Mercury. Since those two maps are played the most frequent in the Assault ladder to my knowledge besides TheCanyon and Holocorp maybe, they are pretty much THE skillmaps thus I used this word in the chat. Of course there are wonderful defending spots on other maps too:
Grandcanyon2k4:
- in the first big room there is a little sideroom behind glass with 2x 25 health and a Lightning Gun. Everytime I see 2485627852 ppl camping in this room
- lift objective with weapon locker and 2x 50 shield nearby.
Skyrace:
- first objective can be camped with a sniper from top aiming for the head of the incoming scorpion drivers
- last objective can be camped with a shock rifle to push back incoming mantas causing them to drop down.
Gasoline:
- objectives with scorpions can be camped with sniper and aim for heads of scorpion drivers. Half of the defending team does it. No one ever complained.
- snipe tower at bender objectives. Do I need to say more?

You see there a lots and lots of those camp spots which many many people use. I dont even use all of them because I find some of them inefficient like the snipe tower I mentioned last. Its too far away from the important objectives which would leave the option to snipe the benders with the goal to destroy them. Ammo will be empty first and bender still alive. If you come now and say "But you snipe the bender on Hera" then let me tell you that I dont do that, I snipe the players whenever they leave the bender to stand on the objectives because as we all know they cant do it when they are inside a vehicle.

No one ever complains about all those camp spots I mentioned. Only Socio does complain when I defend from save distance with a lightning gun on skill maps because that is obviously the most evil thing on the whole server. No, its not using a couple of glitches on Skyrace or Sunpyramid, no its not any form of racism... no, its defending with a lightning gun and picking up health and ammo to stay alive omg

And the most funny thing in this thread is that on the one hand Izumo says that he is "the wrong one to debate with" because he doesnt know "whats going on on the assault server" but on the other hand he is debating very active as if he is the biggest expert the world has ever seen in this case.
He responded to Socio's loaded question "sit back in the corner and frm LG kills". At best that's an admission of what he's already declared; he changes his playstyle on ranked maps.
Exactly, but on the other hand, not exactly.
Its true I sit back at a nice spot near the objectives and kill the attackers with the lightning gun (when possible). But I dont do it only on ranked maps. I do it on other maps too whereever it is possible (see list above). I am just slightly more careful and concentrated on ranked maps. So, actually, I am just playing (defending in this case) harder on ranked maps.

And I just want to say that I really appreciate the help from both of you, Azarael and iRobot. Many people would just sit back and enjoy the discussion where the helpless player would get beaten down by some admins who are just demonstration their big e-penis and that they can get on rank 2 on the skill-ladder with admin rights (wow y u so good (no "watch out we got a badass over here" - smiley? oh wait, we do:
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Mon 06 May , 2013 12:39 am

It's funny how people take a server specific skill number on a nine year old game so seriously.

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Mon 06 May , 2013 12:51 am

Its not about the skill-number, Its about fairness. Why do I get a penalty for defending in a way I think is most efficient even though other people do the same? The point is, the skill-number is the thing which creates this unfairness because mine got decreased pretty much forever. Why is that? I feel discriminated in this way. Am I too good? Am I too funny? Am I too german? Am I too handsome? Or am I too not-Admin/VIP? What is it that only I get this punishment. I dont want to say that Aza, iRobot, Quadira, Xales or anyone deserves it too, no, the punishment itself is ridiculous.
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Mon 06 May , 2013 1:12 am

Maybe because you aren't the only one.