Desktop Thread

Anything goes here. Keep it tasteful.
Pinky
Disappeared Administrator

Re: Desktop Thread

Post by Pinky » Wed 07 Aug , 2013 12:54 pm

Oska wrote:Those guys under KDE.. facepalm
I could change to Xfce anytime :mrgreen:
Izumo_CZ wrote:Gentoo is indeed a good choice for server doing calculations, because it's easiest to solve all the BS around running the commerical applications doing the compilation / job / simulation.
No cluster I ever worked with had Gentoo installed. Instead they used heavily adapted Linux versions to achieve the highest performance with minimum system overhead. But those were clusters really designed for heavy calculations, especially massively parallel computing

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 07 Aug , 2013 1:04 pm

Yeah but they're based off Gentoo. Gentoo's concept is to "install what you need" and reduce system overhead, if done correctly.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Wed 07 Aug , 2013 3:19 pm

Can't share this desktop (company pc)...
Love Linux, fast, reliable, clean, transparent, non profit oriented.... unfortunately not that easy to share info with everybody, and not all programs and apps with all features available...
win8 sucks, my new pc has it and it merged all stupid accounts and contacts.. had to uninstall all apps and install them as programs (for example skype) and the lack of the start menu... well makes life complicated: you need to know where to search your program and which executable is the application in need... Besides does not allow access to admin folders (system for example) as an admin... unless you do a whole procedure for you to obtain the right to see it, so most system info is not available....

Just try to make a simple direct access icon to an app in the start page from the desktop....
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Wed 07 Aug , 2013 3:41 pm

Just run a linux machine with Wine on it if you have missing Windows software.
Then you can have Windows programs on stable, free, and (almost) virus-free Linux. More informations here.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 07 Aug , 2013 3:45 pm

Why would I want to emulate Windows? trollface

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Wed 07 Aug , 2013 3:47 pm

Because, for example, Adobe softwares are easily "crackable" and easy to find on Windows and a pain in the ass on Linux.
Moving from Photoshop to Gimp is not an easy thing if someone has been using Photoshop for ages.
Last edited by Oska on Wed 07 Aug , 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 07 Aug , 2013 3:47 pm

Did Azareal just use trollface again (and this time instead of facepalm)?

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 07 Aug , 2013 3:49 pm

Oska wrote:Because, for example, Adobe softwares are easily "crackable" and easy to find on Windows and a pain in the ass on Linux.
Moving from Photoshop to Gimp is not an easy thing if someone has been using Photoshop in ages.
I have dual-boot installed. Some things I do are in Windows, other things in Linux. Not bothered by somekind of philosophy or iphone-style retardation. 60-0 np

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 07 Aug , 2013 3:52 pm

I was hoping someone would bite since I referred to Wine as an emulator. Usually works. :/

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Wed 07 Aug , 2013 3:54 pm

I'm on dual boot too.
B-b-b-ut I'm still attached to the slowness of Windows :(
When it shuts down and asking 10 times if you really want to close this software, if you really really to close it.., "do you really want to close explorer.exe?" aaaaaaaaaah. I'll always miss it.