Appealing for ban : Banned for Nazism? Thinking...

If you feel a ban has been made in error, appeal it here.
Michael

Re: Appealing for ban : Banned for Nazism? Thinking...

Post by Michael » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 5:57 pm

No, I don't know anything about that 3rd Reich or whatever it is. I've only studied for a year about the Europe, everything else was about my country.

And damn, I know these are rules, but you're acting like if you didn't care at all? What if this happened to you man? How would you feel?

Damn man, you're acting like an absolutist. But you have your right to do so, you're admin after all.

And : "I think all of you who play here know the connection between the swatika and the 3rd Reich either from school or from internet, tv, news whatever. So there is no need to tell about what it was used before WW2 or where the symbol comes from etc...that all doesent matter." - it doesn't matter to you - because it's the only thing that you're thinking of.

I'm not a robot, ok? I'm not perfect. People make mistakes. I never did anything similar to this, it's my first offense in any way, and without intention. I think that should still be worth something for you, giZmo.

In advance, and independently of what gets decided here, I want to thank Azarael, iXtl and iRobot for your understanding.

-Michael...

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 6:12 pm

giZmo wrote:
Michael wrote:And I know, that any form of Nazism is against the rules.
Michael wrote:We were doing it for fun....
There is nothing more to say
I agree here. Nothing more to say.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 6:15 pm

Izumo_CZ wrote:
giZmo wrote:
Michael wrote:And I know, that any form of Nazism is against the rules.
Michael wrote:We were doing it for fun....
There is nothing more to say
I agree here. Nothing more to say.
You both are taking this out of context, unfairly.

He means they were doing it as a pass time to end the map. Not because he find's it enjoyable or humorous. Think of the bigger picture here rather than just 'my god, he contributed to a swastika, ban that fellow'.

giZmo
Hogwarts Professor

Post by giZmo » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 6:34 pm

No other comment expected from someone who doesn't give much about satisfying rules or authority in any way.
"We never truly know how to appreciate something until we have lost it forever."

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 7:07 pm

iRobot wrote: You both are taking this out of context, unfairly.

He means they were doing it as a pass time to end the map. Not because he find's it enjoyable or humorous. Think of the bigger picture here rather than just 'my god, he contributed to a swastika, ban that fellow'.
It's not that and I don't see things that way. It's just the first post looks like "I contributed to a swastika, drama queen?".

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 7:13 pm

He's admitting what he did was incorrect, the grounds of any good ban appeal.

Given the ban is 'permanent', it wouldn't expire if he didn't make this topic, so I see no harm in arguing the case. Sure, he might be a bit verbose about it, but it's showing good will and an effort to follow procedure, rather than just flaming the admins like most ban appeals are.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 7:22 pm

I'm torn.

On one hand, 6 months is a pretty long ban. On the other, rereading the first post, I'm still finding it very difficult to get over the idea that a swastika could be built for fun and I'm not swayed by the arguments that the swastika had prior uses before its appropriation by the NSDAP. Now, I accept that the swastika was a symbol used in other places as well, long before the Nazis came along, but post-WWII the symbol has been irreversibly corrupted by its association with them. When looking at a swastika, most people think "Nazism" and very few know that the orientation of the swastika is relevant to its meaning. I noted that the swastika constructed by the vehicles was the opposite orientation to the one the Nazis used, but chat convinced me that all parties involved were fully aware of the implications of creating the swastika and chose to wilfully insult the memory of those who died in WWII by recreating such a symbol.

Nazism is still an extremely sensitive topic in modern Germany (don't know about the Czech Rep.), and in my opinion this ban appeal hinges on whether you are able to convince the German members of the LDG staff that you should be unbanned. As iXtl has noted, 6 months is a long ban, but invoking Nazi imagery is not something to be taken lightly. I will not oppose a lift, but consensus is required.

EDIT: My mind is stuck in 1939. Czechoslovakia, ffs :/

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 7:29 pm

Czechoslovakia LOL
You know ... that it's Czech Rebuplic and Slovakia since 1.1.1993? trollface
Back to the topic, it is sensitive in CZ and SK too.

@iRobot: I'm not entirely conviced that he's admitting that - seems rather to me that he's excusing himself that "he didn't know he would get banned". Oh, also, quoting admin forum
Additionally Michael assumes the name HEINS_HITTLER.
so ..... one big NOPE.avi.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 7:34 pm

Oh god, agreed.

No.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 7:37 pm

Well while playfully arranging shapes in scorpions could end up going wrong, in this case...assuming the name Hitler (even though poorly spelled), is definitely not a wise thing to do.

Therefore... I'm out.