Appealing for ban : Banned for Nazism? Thinking...

If you feel a ban has been made in error, appeal it here.
Michael

Appealing for ban : Banned for Nazism? Thinking...

Post by Michael » Sat 09 Feb , 2013 5:37 pm

So we were playing a phew months ago with scorpions in a map I do not remember.

In the first place, I was banned for Nazism.

I'm from Portugal, Europe. I understand they have banned the Swastika from Germany, but hey, this did not happen in the rest of the Europe, so it's natural that we do not think much about it.

And I know, that any form of Nazism is against the rules. But I must also remember that the Swastika existed way before II World War came. And also that fascist adopted that cross (as this existed before), and that it had no symbology at all, before he adopted and used it to form an ideology.

I must also remember that next to me, there were over 20 people parking the Scorpions in a form that you could see a swastika from the sky. So I believe that lots of people got banned at the same time

We were doing it for fun, because EVERYONE was bored because we couldn't complete the objective and we couldn't get enough people to vote for another map. At first, it was just an "X". Then it became a Christian Cross. Then it became a Swastika. So we started playing with what we had and first we started building and because to be honest in my perspective the swastika looks cool. But it has an horrible meaning, and that meaning is gone dudes. The thing is: You automaticly assumed a Swastika as a Nazism symbol. The thing is, think of this. If someone Spanish murdered someone, then he'd be a murderer. And would it be fair to you to say that every Spanish people were murderers? No! Because it only happened with one of them, and one isn't everyone, in the same way that I made part of this, and I wasn't alone, and we were doing it for fun, and we were simply designing a cross. How does that makes us 100% guilties? Ok maybe in part we should think twice that some people could get offended with it, but it's like I said, at least I DIDN'T had any intention to promove any ideology or fascist simbol.
With these actions I must say that NO INTENTS FOR ANY KIND OF NAZISM were intended.

I just remember Azarael saying: "Ban hammer coming" or something like that, and then bam... I waited... now I'm here, appealing for my ban.

I just can't think of that I got banned for something like this...

Awaiting for answers,
and apolagize for the incovenience and I hope everything gets solved.

Honestly, Michael

Donnie
Forever Alonnie

Re: Appealing for ban : Banned for Nazism? Thinking...

Post by Donnie » Sat 09 Feb , 2013 5:41 pm

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 09 Feb , 2013 5:43 pm

> Michael: I hope no one takes this seriously and comes with shit saying we are anti-semitic

You knew when you aided in the construction of this symbol that it WOULD unquestionably have been interpreted as Nazism. There was no reason whatsoever for you and all of the other participants in this act to construct a swastika on the game server.

giZmo
Hogwarts Professor

Post by giZmo » Sat 09 Feb , 2013 5:59 pm

Michael wrote:And I know, that any form of Nazism is against the rules.
Michael wrote:We were doing it for fun....
There is nothing more to say
"We never truly know how to appreciate something until we have lost it forever."

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Sat 09 Feb , 2013 9:36 pm

As of 2 days ago it was a 5 month ban.

Surely that's enough for a first time offense, even for this.

Good guy robot

Michael

Post by Michael » Sun 10 Feb , 2013 12:22 pm

Yes but I assume you're saying that I'm a Nazist with this.

And what I've said in chat was preciselly because of that, I didn't want anyone to assume that the swastika was meant to express any form of Nazism, that's why I said > Michael: I hope no one takes this seriously and comes with shit saying we are anti-semitic"

"You knew when you aided in the construction of this symbol that it WOULD unquestionably have been interpreted as Nazism."

Argh... now I know...

Is there any last thing I can do?

"Ban appeals are between the banned player and all administrators. Only post in a ban appeal if you can offer some useful input."

Huh??

PS : I still think I have some point on my post...
In the rules it says:

0. Instant ban offenses at a glance:
Racism - 7 days.
Nazism - permanent.
Comparing staff or the rules to Nazis - 30 days.

It only says: Nazism - permanent. The thing is I'm not Nazi! Grr! And the swastika existed way before it was adopted in II world war, if you studied deeper history, and I had no intentions of spreading any wrong "ideal", so I guess that's worth something... :/
Let me think of something...

You know the Latin cross. The normal cross that you see in the Christian church ( the most popular ).
I see people using it on what they wear. I see people drawing it, because they think it looks good.

Swastika existed in India way, way before he used it. And the meaning of it's word was "good luck" or something "favorable".

This cross was also taken to England from the Scandinavian people from Lincolnshire & Yorkshire.

You can make your research through history or google, anyways I've found a website explaining somethings in case you want to look if you still don't believe me (you'll have to use google chrome to translate it thought ):

http://www.ecclesia.com.br/biblioteca/m ... cados.html

Conclusion:

With this I want to say that just because we made that swastika, that doesnt means we're Nazists or intended to pass any nazism ideals, as this "Swastika" has lots of meanings and was used by so many different cultures.

With this I think you're acting with "what you want to see" instead of what it is.

And I understand your atitudes and opinions, my country been in dictatorship for over 40 years, 40 years ago.

I'm simply asking for a ban appeal...

Michael

Post by Michael » Sun 10 Feb , 2013 4:49 pm

I forgot:
GUID: FAA36662-339C2A0E-05CDDEDD-9B3B4DEC

iXtl

Post by iXtl » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 9:55 am

Recalling swastika roots from India is a common explanation of people charged for using it as a Nazi symbol. Before 2nd world war you could use it as you wish but now you couldn't if it's context is not clear. But I agree that admin's should differentiate between using Nazi symbols from simple stupidity (6 months ban is enough) and from ideology propagation (permanent).

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 3:40 pm

iXtl raises a good point and one I'm prepared to agree with. Waiting on the other administrators to weigh in.

giZmo
Hogwarts Professor

Post by giZmo » Mon 11 Feb , 2013 4:19 pm

I think all of you who play here know the connection between the swatika and the 3rd Reich either from school or from internet, tv, news whatever. So there is no need to tell about what it was used before WW2 or where the symbol comes from etc...that all doesent matter.

Also everyone that plays here agreed automatically to the rules by joining the game and for me it doesent make a difference if you build the swatika out of pure boring stupidy or propagation.
"We never truly know how to appreciate something until we have lost it forever."