Recreation of the MC Server?

Discuss the Minecraft server here.

Shall we create a completely new MC server?

Poll ended at Fri 19 Apr , 2013 6:54 pm

Yes.
10%
I don't care. (yes)
30%
No.
60%

Total votes: 10

Takeo
Disappeared Administrator

Recreation of the MC Server?

Post by Takeo » Fri 12 Apr , 2013 6:54 pm

Hey folks,

due to recent events (i.e. server update and file issues) I was thinking about recreating the MC server.
This means a completely new world as well as an overall re-assembling of the plugins. We'd discuss them first, so your wishes may be included as well.

The main problem here is that you are concerned about your buildings. The script "MCEdit" as well as "WorldEdit" provide a tool which allows you to copy three-dimensional structures from one map to another. However, don't expect us to copy every single hovel. We'd limit the struct copy to two buildings per person/group.

Also, the MC server may be set up completely different in terms of permissions and properties.
We had to notice that the dynmap created a huge amount of data because people were exploring the world further than Columbus.

Make your vote. The poll will last for a week. People are active enough on the forums to be able to participate. If they don't, they surely will need to think about getting on the forum more often.

This is not a discussion thread of the details! The only discussion in here is about the question if we should start a completely new server or not.

Calypto

Re: Recreation of the MC Server?

Post by Calypto » Fri 12 Apr , 2013 10:04 pm

Will there be Towny and currency?

Takeo

Post by Takeo » Sat 13 Apr , 2013 1:21 am

The problem with money/goods-based systems are that xray etc. become more attractive. It is hard to balance such systems. Though we may include it under certain settings such as permission based mining.

focus

Post by focus » Sat 13 Apr , 2013 3:33 am

I am voting against.

I do not get it, what we will exactly obtain by resetting the server and the world? What you cannot find in it current incarnation? And how long new world will last, before yet another reset? What problems with files are you talking about? Is their size a problem? Or they got corrupted?

My concern is about my creations. Among other things, i have a long railroad, that is blended with landscape. Its not a single building, and its not possible to simply cut it from one place and paste into another. Also, i live in a good area, and have plans for development of it. They are much dependant from this very area.
And now, i have to forget about all of this? I spent much time on my creations, and i am attached to them.
I also think about efforts of others, that were put into the world. Will those be wasted too? Do not underestimate them. Maybe, technically, it is possible to spend weeks, recreating buildings, but i doubt that will be an desire for it. Usually its much easier to fix than to start from scratch.

I think, if necessary, its possible to simply cut out existing unsettled chunks from world files with appropriate tools.
This move will save disk space, if you need it.

If, unfortunately, you will decide to reset, please:
a) Expound, what exactly we will see in the new world. Maybe we all have to come to agreement about it, before actual transition.
b) Publish files of the world we were living in. The means of it can be different. Besides direct downloading from server, in order to save traffic of LDG server, they can be put into BitTorrent.

Thank you.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sat 13 Apr , 2013 4:29 am

Takeo wrote:The problem wi-
Then no.

Takeo

Post by Takeo » Sat 13 Apr , 2013 5:55 pm

focus wrote: a) Expound, what exactly we will see in the new world. Maybe we all have to come to agreement about it, before actual transition.
b) Publish files of the world we were living in. The means of it can be different. Besides direct downloading from server, in order to save traffic of LDG server, they can be put into BitTorrent.

Thank you.
Like I wrote, your buildings will be transported into the new world (simple copy&paste). Your railsways however may not be included because of the simple fact that a) we don't know what kind of new world we may start (e.g. I was thinking of making a property based server) and railways are too long (i.e. too many chunks).

To your requests:
a) A new world means a new hash code. The interior of the world shall be a surprise, so you can have fun exploring it, don't you think? Spoiling the map would simply lead to rushing for the ressources. It will of course not be randomly created. We will discuss a map among the admins first.

b) Torrent ist a system we will never be using. No discussion about that. What kind of files do you mean?

@ Everybody: Before we re-create the server - in case we decide to do so - we will have to clarify what kind of server we want (RPG, PVP, Zoned, Property based) as well as we have to select plugins. And this is where you come in.

Go to the following thread for selections:

New server - System and Plugins

Flo
RAGEMASTER

Post by Flo » Wed 17 Apr , 2013 2:37 am

Voted for I don't care, since I also like the old world, but starting a new world is also new fun by exploring (and the exploring part is something I like the most when playing MC).

Anhrak

Post by Anhrak » Wed 24 Apr , 2013 11:59 am

I'm not sure if I could still vote or not, and sorry for my large absence, but I would actually like to vote yes.

The map we currently play on exists for long, it exists from before 1.3! With every update that there comes, new content will come. But in order for that content to receive, we need to travel... travel FAR. Since LDG provides you with no commands to use at all (except for protection), this will take a serious time to achieve.

At 1,3 we had emerald. emerald was quite hard to find because at least a 3k-3k field was rendered. Temples were a PAIN to find. Not only they were rare and biome-specific, you had to travel very far. I recall I had to travel 10k blocks in order to find the first desert temple, and it always remained at that single one.

At 1,4 we gained witch huts, carrots and potatoes. Due the size of already-rendered area, which was already a whopping 25k/30k-25/30k area!, obtaining carrots and potatoes was limited to zombie drops only. Witch huts were, to my knowledge, never found at all, just because their rarity and their distance made them mythical on existance in this map.

At 1.5, we gained nether quartz. I do not even DARE to guess how large the map is right now, or how far we have to travel in the nether to find quartz. Although, 1.5 did not give new content to the overworld.

My biggest fear is what 1.6 will bring. It is known already that 1.6 will bring major content to the overworld, including mountables (horses, donkeys) as well as blocks. How far will we have to travel by foot in order to get this content??? I don't even want to know that.

But it's not only content-related. The map size is expected to exponentially rise with each week (or month) that passes. This means that the size of the map we have now is immensive, and fragile to corruption either.

Not only that, but lots of resources have been plundered. Though, as my adventures only hauled in about 9 stacks of diamond ore (fortuned to 2.5 stack of diamond blocks), combined with lots of iron, gold, redstone and lapis, I don't know what others obtained in the time I was away ever since. It could be possible that they got triple, maybe a quadruple, amount of what I had. But it's not only resources, it's also the will of adventuring. Everything has already been discovered, such as caves, temples, dungeons, strongholds (all 3 are found), the enderdragon has already been slain, everything is sort-of 'done' already.

Though, aside from what the land brings, the land is also filled with scars of griefers. The spawn, for example, has never changed; a simple wall of cobblestone put in the middle of something that was supposed to be a group of buildings. Once I recalled that I tried restoring it, but it was griefed straight after then. Also the big art I made in the desert just below my old 'hotel' was griefed. Lots of areas are griefed, and were never looked back at.

So, yes, I would like a new map. Although I don't play right now, it may bring back the spark to return to the servers. Almost a year passed already since I played here, lots of things changed (including myself). Regarding the content about to come, the state the map right now is already at, I think that a new map is rightfully in its place. And honestly speaking, it's already a generous gesture from Takeo to world-edit everyone's builds inside the new map at their choice of location. I wouldn't need it at all, although I made 2 big builds.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Thu 25 Apr , 2013 1:09 am

Anhrak wrote: At 1.5, we gained nether quartz. I do not even DARE to guess how large the map is right now, or how far we have to travel in the nether to find quartz. Although, 1.5 did not give new content to the overworld.
I have Nether quartz in my nether back yard trollface

Anhrak

Post by Anhrak » Thu 25 Apr , 2013 9:08 am

It's not concerning how hard it was to get nether quartz, it's rather the case how hard it can be how we later are supposed to get to new content.

P.s., congratulations Cal!