RACE - Leviathan

For posting your maps.
Aww

RACE - Leviathan

Post by Aww » Tue 30 Apr , 2013 11:40 pm

I have made my first map for UT2004! I chose to make RACE because its the easiest and i figured it would be ok for the first map.

Its a leviathan race (because there isnt one yet) with 3 objectives. first 2 are standard race objectives (team mate required for obj) and the last one is a destroyable objective. its a race with a powerful vehicle and i figured a levi map without anything to destroy would be a sad map. btw it takes a some firepower to destroy it (hint: wildcard base and a UDamage base are in the map).

*Each team has a cicada (its an awesome bird and not many maps have it)
*Camp tower with a painter (rais is no rais without one)

weapons:

base:
*Shock rifle
*Link gun
*Flack cannon
*AVRIL
*Deemer

camp tower:
*rocket launcher
*painter
*lightning gun

SCREENSHOTS:
http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/sytyr ... 0Leviathan

MAP DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/?c7uq2mq6hbx6ans

The map is not 100% done.
*I suck at painting the terrain and it might take a some time to finish it
*base's blocking volumes are not yet set up to prevent spawn killing
*map is not optimized for best preformance on CPU yet(not that its lagging or anything)
*its in AS mode and not RACE yet
but other than that its basicly done

Im submiting this map here hoping it will get accepted and put in the servers once all finished.
I would like to hear what you all think about it what tips or suggestions you have for improving it

excuse my English as it is my foreign language
Aw.=w

edit: also i just noticed i posted this in the wrong place D:
please move to Assistance>maps ?
Aw.=w

Socio
Disappeared Administrator

Re: RACE - Leviathan

Post by Socio » Wed 01 May , 2013 12:46 am

Topic moved.

Downloaded. Didnt look at it yet, but I already see it will suffer in the fps while looking at the spawns area. Every Leviathan will be rendered through those glass walls, in single player its not noticable, but it will be once people start shooting and driving. Should have put those spawns in solid, zoned brushes surrounded by antiportals.
But I got to say from looking at the screens that it looks pretty solid for a first map.
> team-spec*Socio: i see a new rais map
> team-spec*Socio: curious if ikea
> H&some: its not
> H&some: its actually pretty good

Donnie
Forever Alonnie

Post by Donnie » Wed 01 May , 2013 9:42 am

looks good! (=

Aww

Post by Aww » Wed 01 May , 2013 10:35 am

im now placing in antiportals in some building i think should have them. also is there no way to make it fps friendly WITH those glass walls ? they look so awesome if you ask me D: then again i built the base on a idea that the walls are supported by those 'arms' so making them non transparent could work as well.
Aw.=w

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 01 May , 2013 10:46 am

This looks great, looking forward to finding all the glitches

megusta

Aww

Post by Aww » Wed 01 May , 2013 11:11 am

ill leave 1 glitch open and ill put your name in it
Aw.=w

Donnie
Forever Alonnie

Post by Donnie » Wed 01 May , 2013 12:56 pm

cant wait!!!!!

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Wed 01 May , 2013 1:16 pm

I haven`t downloaded it yet, but there is a leviathan race map existing. We had to remove it because the levi is too slow and some people just camped outside the base and killed everything passing by. This is more a problem of gameplay so I`m not sure you`ve thought about it yet, but maybe you could tweak levi`s health and speed (Or we could make some kind of TW Levi ?!?), or separate both bases more clearly...
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

Socio
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Socio » Wed 01 May , 2013 1:25 pm

Okay, I just played it and here are my thoughts about it~
Leviathans are big, slow, bulky, with poor manouvering, not the kind of vehicle you would race with. To make this work without making every n00b deploy the thing after getting out of spawn or just spamming the homing rockets till one of them dies, you should concentrate on making people use teamwork, cut the number of Leviathans to max 4, and add some strong vehicle heal ratio in the factories (0.5<), also add some noticable spots for link ammo pick-up along the track to resuply your team of linkers. Not to mention adding some cover along the track so your link team wont get swiped by a deployed Leviathans main gun blast, also since the roads are long, some cover for your own vehicle from people deploying near the spawn areas would be good too.
Add protection for the player who will open the gate to objective 1 so he wont get spammed to death by enemy rockets before your Leviathan will cross the gate.
Destroyable objectives dont work in RACE, so the 3rd objective is open for redesign.
BSP needs some editing, as much as cool does the lift look, you should cut the rounded ends and the number of sides on those "teeth" the gears travel down. It only adds unnecessary poly-count. Same goes for the Cicada garage, behind it, hidden in terrain is an odd shaped construction, like a static meshes brush merged with the garage brush.
As for working with antiportals, putting them in the current walls on arms, wont give you much profit in optimisation. When it comes down to working with AP, the bigger the AP the better, since it will occlude a bigger area. Also remember not to put too much AP in one field of view, the process of optimising multiple AP can eat up more power then normal rendering.
> team-spec*Socio: i see a new rais map
> team-spec*Socio: curious if ikea
> H&some: its not
> H&some: its actually pretty good

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 01 May , 2013 1:29 pm

Perhaps simply customize the leviathan to have higher speed/better turning circle? Doesn't need to have nitro but it could be a little faster than default.

There also exists a levi that cannot deploy, in RedAlert I think? (never seen anyone deploy it, anyway)