Permabanned for Sexism this time - A Hamish goodbye message

If you feel a ban has been made in error, appeal it here.
Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Permabanned for Sexism this time - A Hamish goodbye mess

Post by Azarael » Wed 08 May , 2013 7:03 pm

So it's basically an extension of the appeal to authority fallacy - I ban it not because I have considered it to be bad, but because it is illegal in my country.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Wed 08 May , 2013 7:06 pm

No. Everybody sees things differently. Who says you see them the best? Who says I do? Who says giZmo do? Same for others. So why should we ignore any kind of reflection?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 08 May , 2013 7:09 pm

There's a difference between formulating your own point of view and internalising that something is bad because an authority tells you it is. While I agree that an initial approach to anything will be biased by personal experience, I'm sure you'd agree that rational debate is more effective at demolishing a position taken to be true at someone else's behest, rather than a position the holder has formulated deliberately.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 08 May , 2013 7:16 pm

Azarael wrote:There's a difference between formulating your own point of view and internalising that something is bad because an authority tells you it is. While I agree that an initial approach to anything will be biased by personal experience, I'm sure you'd agree that rational debate is more effective at demolishing a position taken to be true at someone else's behest, rather than a position the holder has formulated deliberately.
It's not that I'd see it bad because authority tells me that. It's just that I see that people's opinions differ on the matter. And by authority you can just as well use "LDG Admins" on our servers.

As for rationality: it's statistics. Statistics is used for things that you cannot resolve analytically and I think this is a good example of such. There is no real way how to rationally debate one's reception to x, y, z.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 08 May , 2013 7:19 pm

Voting (which is what I assume you meant) is not a substitute for discussion. Even the best democracies don't make binding decisions (as opposed to elections) based on referendums. Simply put, racism, homophobia and sexism are all baseless forms of discrimination against the individual for something that's irrelevant to the game and beyond their control, in in the case of the first two, they're definitely both killers.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 08 May , 2013 7:20 pm

And such discussion would never conclude.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 08 May , 2013 7:21 pm

Well, an easy start would be to say how, conceptually, racism and homophobia are different.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 08 May , 2013 7:24 pm

The issue is the reception towards the discrimination, not the discrimination itself. You could add to the list of discriminations based on height, degree, wealth etc. And yes, conceptually, by definition, it's all discrimination by some element - you could only say if it's something you're born with or can choose. The rest would be jus the same.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 08 May , 2013 7:26 pm

We don't get any of that, but rest assured that anyone making that a point of harassment would have their shit ruined by me as well. I'm not comfortable with the message to people that "sorry, the particular brand of hatred towards you isn't yet appreciated by people who are not part of your group yet, so you'll just have to suffer it until we actually appreciate you."

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 08 May , 2013 7:33 pm

Why would you think that discrimination is hatred towards that group?