UT sale on steam

Anything goes here. Keep it tasteful.
Donnie
Forever Alonnie

Re: UT sale on steam

Post by Donnie » Sat 25 May , 2013 9:58 am

just kidding lol do you guys have sense of humour?

i'd like to buy this game,it's awesome and deserves my money but i dont have a bank account,im too lazy to make one :mrgreen:

xOdiumNostrumx

Post by xOdiumNostrumx » Sat 25 May , 2013 11:51 am

Imo its not worth to open up a thread about this so I will ask here...

So I bought the game and now I am trying to find this new cd-key but not with the help of regedit, because I guess right now Ive got 2 UTs installed on my pc, pirated version and the new one, so regedit is still "linked" to the pirated one so I cant find the new cd-key with its help. So I have to find it within the newly installed UT2004 folder...uncle google is saying: "Unreal Tournament 2004.app/System/cd-key" but in my system map there is no cd-key file.

So my plan is: find the new cd-key and edit regedit with it. I could just uninstall the pirated version but then I would lost all my settings, "colored usernames" etc.

Please help.

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Sat 25 May , 2013 12:54 pm

You could probably just back up your various .ini files I would imagine.

Jate
V.I.P. Member

Post by Jate » Sat 25 May , 2013 3:29 pm

As far as I know, Ut2004 cd-key is stored in its System folder only on Linux installations. On Windows you will have to use regedit: navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\UT2004 (or, if you have a x64 version of Windows, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\UT2004)

I don't think it is possible to extract gog .exe archives manually with usual utilities, so I guess you will have to use it as it is and reinstall the game to get the new key. To make sure it will put the new key in the registry you may delete the old key manually. And yes, follow CaptainXavious' advice and back up your .ini files.

Jate
V.I.P. Member

Post by Jate » Sat 25 May , 2013 3:48 pm

Also:
focus wrote:What would you say to the fact that most of governmental institutions (including law enforcement and departament of justice equivalent) here in our country, use pirated software? Some even use it almost exclusively.
The fact that government institutions in our country use pirated software is not a justification for us to use it as well. And it is also embarrassing to see some institutions persecuting its people when they cannot even clean up their own act.

All this bullshit speaks volumes about the kind of mindset some of us apply to someone else's work :|

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Sat 25 May , 2013 4:08 pm

I pirate pretty much all games I play. I'll buy a legit copy of the ones I enjoy however. Consider it trying out the demo before buying.

Not gonna pay like 40 quid/euros on a game only to play it for 2 hours and get bored of it. kiddingme

Leeching 1000+ hours of quality UT2004 entertainment on a pirated key is shocking though. If you play a game so much, might as well have some loyalty and buy it :p

Jate
V.I.P. Member

Post by Jate » Sat 25 May , 2013 4:17 pm

That's fine, yes.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 25 May , 2013 5:26 pm

If you're using the anthology or the Steam version, the registry keys may be different.

Patch the game to the latest and then use your previous UT2004.ini and User.ini files.

xOdiumNostrumx

Post by xOdiumNostrumx » Sat 25 May , 2013 6:18 pm

Ok, I did that. And then I run the game via the new UT icon...I wasn't changing anything in regedit so far tho, because I noticed that my pirated version was non install version so it may work without regedit manipulation. So I will have to ask an admin in game to check out my cdkey/guid and confirm that this is indeed a non pirated one. Thanks for assistance.

edit: So my cd-key is still the old one. I just deleted my old UT folder with everything in it (I copied ini files for later) but it looks like regedit kept all the pirated data. Now I am kinda in a dead end. Should/could I delete "Unreal Technology" folder in regedit, then reinstall the game? "Unreal Technology" folder will be replaced with this reinstall? I am kinda scared to do anything drastic in regedit, because I don't have a lot of experiences with it.

xOdiumNostrumx

Post by xOdiumNostrumx » Sat 25 May , 2013 9:47 pm

I deleted that registry folder (I did a backup before that) and did a reinstall...so I completely removed all traces of that pirated version...but still...pirated GUID =SS How the hell is that possible. At one moment there was a glimpse of hope, because after joining the Invasion server I was automatically renamed to (((OdiumNostrum_imposter, which happens if your GUID has been changed. I also checked out regedit again and there is no trace of newly added "Unreal Technology" folder which kinda worries me (edit: I actually found it in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\UT2004)"...thanks Jate). But maybe it has been added to a different folder destination idk. Any other suggestions?