Flo needs technical advice

Anything goes here. Keep it tasteful.
Flo
RAGEMASTER

Flo needs technical advice

Post by Flo » Sat 20 Jul , 2013 3:10 pm

Hello there.

Soon (in September) my one-year exchange to Japan is finally going to start, but before there is still much bureaucracy and shopping to be done. As for the latter, I have three points, where I could use some advice from different sources, since my budget is limited and I don't want to regret what I've bought later.

1) Laptop / Notebook:
Since my last Laptop broke 2 years ago, shortly after the guarantee expired, I've been using a tower PC, but of course I can't take that one with me to Japan, so although my experiences with Laptops have been bad so far, there's now no way around buying a new one. I'm bad with technical details, but here is what the laptop should be able to do: [btw: pricewise I plan on 600 - 800 Euro for this]
It should be able to:
- act out HD-Videos as well as to do HD-Video Rendering with certain programs --> I want to perpetuate my Japan-linked YouTube channel while I am overseas
- run with a line voltage of 100V [Japan has lowest worldwide] without the power supply accumulating any damage ... of course, it should be able to handle 230V as well when coming back to Germany ^_^
- let me do "paper-work" easily, thus the keyboard should be in good shape [as for my former laptop, single letters tended to fall out ...] --> as for the size of the Laptop 15-17 inches would be best, no more or less.
- sufficiently cool itself. My previous Laptop's expensive graphics card broke due to overheating, so I don't need an expensive graphics card for playing the newest games or anything like that. I just want to avoid overheating, since the Japanese summer alone can be hot and humid enough.

2) Microphone / Headset:
For my Japan Youtube channel, I want to buy a really good standing microphone or headset with the main focus being on the quality of voice recording, with as little as possible background noise and swooshing. My current headphones and webcam microphone are cheap and you heard that when I recorded voice for the channel videos. My video cam's microphone is much better, but it sometimes produces an annoying cheeping sound for several minutes. With that said, I want to spend a maximum of around 70 Euro to buy a new standing microphone or headset with the main focus being on good voice recording quality.

3) Video editing & rendering program:
Up until now I've still been using Corel VideoStudio Pro X4 for editing my Youtube channel videos and rendering them when finished as well. But since that program is becoming dated, I'm currently looking for alternatives. Pricewise I would like to invest a maximum of around 80 Euro for the program. In that segment, there exists only Adobe Premiere Elements, Corel VideoStudio Pro X6 (newer version of mine) and MAGIX Video Deluxe, as far as I know. So if anyone has experience with the Adobe or MAGIX video editing programs (or the newer version from Corel), or can even fairly recommend other unknown programs, I would really like to hear about it :-)

So if you've read up until now, thank you very much. If you have any experience regarding the matters above, I would be very happy to hear about it, since these are fundamental investments for my year in Japan and beyond that.

Greetings,

Flo

Calypto

Re: Flo needs technical advice

Post by Calypto » Sat 20 Jul , 2013 5:43 pm

1) Laptop / Notebook:
but here is what the laptop should be able to do: [btw: pricewise I plan on 600 - 800 Euro for this]
It should be able to:
- act out HD-Videos as well as to do HD-Video Rendering with certain programs --> I want to perpetuate my Japan-linked YouTube channel while I am overseas
I'm not sure how well this laptop will fit within your needs, but I'm sure it definitely does have the power to pull some CPU intensive tasks like video rendering/encoding etc. The processor that comes with the laptop is sufficient, but you can always customize and upgrade as that laptop is actually slightly in the middle of your budget.
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php? ... ame=NP4650
I like Sager as a brand, they make nice laptops that are focused more toward power users and gamers. Another good laptop brand is ASUS if you do not like Sager or want to see other laptops. Stay away from HP, Toshiba, and other consumer-grade laptops. Also, Lenovo makes decent business-grade laptops. Look at the Thinkpad series. But these of course are nowhere near as good as the old IBM Thinkpads.
2) Microphone / Headset:
good voice recording quality.
I recommend clip-on microphones or desktop microphones. The one I am using for TS is a clip-on which I am pairing with my headphones. I never actually tested the sound quality but it seems to work well for a random microphone I found in my house. It's also nice that it's quite small and I can just tuck it behind the tower when I am not using it (It's against a little shelf of my desk).
http://j.mp/16QM8Zg - Zalman clip-on microphone
http://j.mp/15UAq2z - Logitech USB desktop microphone
You can look for other microphones, too.
3) Video editing & rendering program:
I'm currently looking for alternatives. Pricewise I would like to invest a maximum of around 80 Euro for the program.
Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't look bad. I'm not into video editing, but I really do like Photoshop CS5 and CS6 which I have been using for a while now. If you really must buy it then you can, but I always check YouTube for cracks. One way you can test whether it is a virus or not is by reading the comments and seeing how many likes and dislikes it has. If it has more dislikes than likes, stay away from it. If commenting is disabled, immediately stay away from it. These are the warning signs that these are viruses. If you want to make sure it's not a virus, get Windows in a virtual machine and try running the .exe from there.

Flo
RAGEMASTER

Post by Flo » Tue 23 Jul , 2013 9:44 pm

Heyho,

Thx Calypto, will take this into consideration. Will seach a little more myself and I guess I will make a decision next week while I'm at my parents house and have some more researching time :-)

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Tue 23 Jul , 2013 10:17 pm

Flo wrote:Heyho,

Thx Calypto, will take this into consideration. Will seach a little more myself and I guess I will make a decision next week while I'm at my parents house and have some more researching time :-)
will do :) enjoy your time in Japan :D

Spectre

Post by Spectre » Wed 24 Jul , 2013 12:57 pm

Is this not Flo, the Ragemeister?

Walk into store. Commence the rage. Walk out with the laptops the clerks throw at your feet in fearful awe.

Flo
RAGEMASTER

Post by Flo » Wed 24 Jul , 2013 8:40 pm

Ehhrmmm .... no

Spectre

Post by Spectre » Wed 24 Jul , 2013 11:46 pm

I guarantee success.

(Good luck in Japan!)

Pinky
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Pinky » Thu 25 Jul , 2013 1:52 am

Spectre wrote:Is this not Flo, the Ragemeister?

Walk into store. Commence the rage.
This implies that his physical appearance matches his vocal rage abilities - which, in fact, is far from true (believe me) :mrgreen:

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Thu 25 Jul , 2013 10:10 am

Does he look like he's made from flowers?

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Thu 25 Jul , 2013 4:01 pm

Izumo_CZ wrote:Does he look like he's made from flowers?
Maybe he Looks hippie troll_f :D -> Flowerpower movement was the hippie movement in the war...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)