G5 Rocket Launcher

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
iRobot
Junk Administrator

G5 Rocket Launcher

Post by iRobot » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 2:19 pm

To sum it up, the G5 RL is currently a sub-par Longhorn Repeater.

At long range, the longhorn grenade does better damage and AoE than the G5 rocket. At short range, a grenade impact from LH will do more damage than impact from RL. To add to that, LH has 4 shots per reload and G5 has only two.

Mortar is useless in the sense that, having to maintain a crosshair lock on someone for 3 seconds is pointless in that if someones standing still you can just swap to primary for the hit in half that time. Not to mention it’s highly dependent on map height and ceiling level.

This weapon needs a rework, urgently.

Oska
The wise man

Re: G5 Rocket Launcher

Post by Oska » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 4:31 pm

iRobot wrote:[...]urgently.
I don't think you have the legitimacy to say that something has to be done urgently. "This weapon needs a rework" would have been a nice conclusion.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 4:32 pm

It has been this way for many months. It's urgent that this weapon is brought back into the acceptable weapons pool.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 5:02 pm

The G5 has a number of problems, but don't expect anything soon. My attention is currently focused on the Invasion server.

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 5:08 pm

Image vs Image

srsly

^^
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 5:12 pm

The player counts for the inv server suffered heavily by a gamebreaking bug which was unfortunately left unattended for a long period. When working it's a worthy competitor (unintentionally?) to the Freon server.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 03 Sep , 2013 2:09 am

I'm now listening.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Tue 03 Sep , 2013 5:51 am

Make the clip higher

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 03 Sep , 2013 12:11 pm

Azarael wrote:The G5 has a number of problems, but don't expect anything soon. My attention is currently focused on the Invasion server.
List what you feel the issues are and I'll reciprocate.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 03 Sep , 2013 12:59 pm

The killer problem with the weapon is that it is necessarily an explosive weapon with high damage and high radius and it's difficult to make such weapons safe or skilled. If the rocket's speed is any decent value, there's always going to be a range where it's massive free damage just to shoot the G5 into the floor. Medium speeds ruin the long range potential, making the guided fire a better option. High speeds make the impact of the rocket nearly instant at close to medium range. This is why I feel the only safe implementation is high speed + arming delay, to avoid the midrange damage problem.

There is the option of doing something similar to the Longhorn, to prevent one of the more obvious G5 problems - firing the rocket straight into the floor and watching in awe as it reflects perfectly with an acute angle between its trajectories.