UrbanHotZone

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
Capaco

UrbanHotZone

Post by Capaco » Wed 28 Aug , 2013 10:03 pm

I heard it was removed cause of teleports and the battles are always at the same place? this were the reasons?

People liked it, they played it and didnt care about this. It was a good map.

If that was the reason, instead of teleports ...to place 2-3 jumppads somewhere to get higher faster.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: UrbanHotZone

Post by Azarael » Wed 28 Aug , 2013 10:09 pm

No, it wasn't a "good map", it was shit for Freon. It was a map with height advantage, a shitty brick path where you can't move or jump and it was utterly reliant on teleporters. The original was a DM map with no teleporters or brick path - the extras were added later in a misguided attempt to shoehorn a map into Freon despite it clearly not fitting.

UHZ and all maps with areas of massive height advantage should be kept out of Freon. If anyone wants to go do the necessary work to level out the map and make it play without the brick path and teleporters, go ahead. I tried myself, but all the brush vertices are out of place. Until then, maps which are shit for the gametype for obvious reasons can be and should be removed regardless of what the majority thinks. There are what, 150 maps on this server and that fucking garbage was being voted over maps which are actually good for Freon (but didn't provide easy kills).

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Wed 28 Aug , 2013 10:43 pm

YOU disliking a map doesn't make it bad, what ever your reasons are. Upon those 150 maps I bet you can find many going in your "crappy" criteria.

But we all know that LDG is not a democracy, you remove the map you want.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 28 Aug , 2013 10:43 pm

Explain in detail why it was a good map or fuck off. It's as simple as that.

I can and will make the decision to remove shitmaps. Just as with balance, I will not be held back by majority opinion, only by actual reasons.

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Wed 28 Aug , 2013 10:48 pm

It's a good map because people likes it.
So fuck off.

You are for sure the only player on the server.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 28 Aug , 2013 10:49 pm

Ah, the typical way any thread goes where the players are unable or unwilling to give actual reasons.

"I like it." "It's fun." "We want it."

Ignored for the simple reason that yes, you might well find something fun, but it's the reasons you find it fun that count. I found Killstreak 3 fun but I still removed it, didn't I?

The aim of the server was to foster a skilled environment. Therefore, the onus is on you to demonstrate that Urban Hot Zone plays well. Not that you find it fun, not that a majority of people vote it, that it plays well. If not a single one of you on those boards is able to do so, then it stays off.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 28 Aug , 2013 10:52 pm

Remove the teleport and the brick shitpath and let them suffer on the remainder of the map.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 28 Aug , 2013 10:55 pm

With the teleport, 5/6 of the map are cut out to dodge the height advantage problem, resulting in one team versus another team at the ledges near the church and the building rooftop, plus additional spam inside the brick path. Note the brick path, because it's important: lack of movement means that it's easier for noobs to get kills -> a hidden reason for liking the map!

Without the teleport, the height advantage problem comes back into play. The team spawning top has a massive advantage. This still suits noobs, because if they are bad, they were likely going to get killed on the down-spawning round anyway, and the advantage they get from spawning top will give them more kills than they'd normally get. Oh look, another hidden reason for liking the map!

This is why saying something is "fun" is totally meaningless. Half the time that just means "I like it because it dumbs down the gameplay enough that I can kill you :))))))))))"

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Wed 28 Aug , 2013 10:55 pm

Remove Helm's Deep too.
But please keep all the small maps that can be played with 22 players, would be a pity to remove small maps.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 28 Aug , 2013 10:57 pm

Helmz is a bad map for the same reason (height advantage), but it's not as distinctively broken when a team spawns high, compared to the stock version of UHZ.