AS- 666(Ultra)LevelerRace)o(PreFinal

For posting your maps.
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

AS- 666(Ultra)LevelerRace)o(PreFinal

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Tue 10 Sep , 2013 7:14 pm

So I brought this map up for discussion a couple of days ago on the server, and it was fondly remembered. I would really like to see this map played again online.

I downloaded it and made a few modifications: I deleted most of the speed boosts (all except the boosts leading up those mile-high cuboids ...) and deleted the defender teleporters (unfortunately this buggered up the spawnpoints - I have no idea what I've done ... - and this is why I'm not uploading my modifications just yet. I made this problem, so I'll endeavour to fix it).

Unfortunately, this is all I'm able to do. I've barely used the editor before (I can use the delete button fine enough, but that's about it) and haven't enough spare time to learn completely. So I'm throwing this out to all you infinitely more talented people: if anyone has the spare time to continue converting this to Race (I use 'continue' lightly, as I've really done bugger all except delete things), I'd be grateful. I'm not even 100% sure this is suitable for your server, but that's for you all to decide.

This version is the most complete: it doesn't contain the randomly placed ion tanks and leviathans; it's bug free (as much as I've explored anyway - or before I got my hands on it!), and I don't think it would prove much of a challenge (although perhaps time-consuming) to an experienced mapper. It's a fairly straightforward race map and used to be extremely popular.

Here's the map without my modifications: http://uz2.pwc-networks.com/decompress. ... al.ut2.uz2

Thanks.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

darkelf

Re: AS- 666(Ultra)LevelerRace)o(PreFinal

Post by darkelf » Wed 11 Sep , 2013 2:57 pm

I considered modifying this map a few months ago. But have a feeling that with nitro vehicles it looses all the map was meant to be. Sure you can take out the speed pads but then it just turns into a 5 mile on a half a mile wide track. Which would result in being shot to hell with twin beams.

But don't get me wrong I do really like this map. I would perfer to stay original (without the troll bits). Might be better to do that and have it for olds weekend.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 11 Sep , 2013 3:01 pm

The OLDZ maplist is way too populated for something that only has 2 days of lifespan. RACE is what needs more maps right now.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Wed 11 Sep , 2013 7:48 pm

darkelf wrote: But have a feeling that with nitro vehicles it looses all the map was meant to be. Sure you can take out the speed pads but then it just turns into a 5 mile on a half a mile wide track. Which would result in being shot to hell with twin beams.
I have the same issue. I don't think you can have nitro vehicles and speed pads; the vehicles would quickly become obsolete. I drove the whole map without speed boosts: that's ten minutes of my life I won't be getting back! Even with nitro vehicles (the speed couldn't match the original speed boosts), I could see most of these sniped off way before you'd reach the objectives. Driving wise it's not really much of a challenge; it's definately no trials map.

So I have no idea. I used to really enjoy this map, but it doesn't seem to quite fit anywhere.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 11 Sep , 2013 8:53 pm

Speed pads and nitro vehicles do not work well together. And I don't think driving Hellbender on that map is some fun, maybe it could be turned into a Hybrid Bender map for some spin, because Hybrid Bender is the vehicle you can mix with speedpads.

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Thu 12 Sep , 2013 5:17 am

Izumo_CZ wrote:Speed pads and nitro vehicles do not work well together. And I don't think driving Hellbender on that map is some fun, maybe it could be turned into a Hybrid Bender map for some spin, because Hybrid Bender is the vehicle you can mix with speedpads.

This is probably the best way to modify this map for race server.

Which means you get to have lots of fun adding blocking volumes like a mad man to prevent exploiting.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sun 15 Sep , 2013 4:03 pm

I don't mind adding in the blocking volumes, although it might take a little while to decide where to put them.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sun 15 Sep , 2013 8:45 pm

Ok, so I've added in all the blocking volumes I think this map would need. Wasn't too bad (the size of the map means it protects itself really). Hopefully I haven't missed any exploit opportunities.

http://www.mediafire.com/?u4yc2rfdazh1bun

The map itself has over 30 objectives: the end requires a leveler, whilst one is a touch objective, and 3 are hold objectives (I guess these would have to be changed?). The rest require vehicles to go over them, and are placed fairly linear about the map. At the moment, all objectives are worth the same amount of points. If these vehicle objectives are kept, would it make sense to have these worth a fair few points less?

Also, I haven't touched the defender teleporters unlike last time; I still have no idea why deleting them would bugger up the spawn points, so I've left them well alone.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Mon 16 Sep , 2013 6:45 pm

Ok, so I've pretty much finished the map now:

http://www.mediafire.com/?lhx0tgb19v2onoi

Added a few more blocking volumes after summoning a HybridBender and messing around a bit. I think you'd have to be a very diligent exploiter to get past them (the benders tend to stick a bit to them if hit, but I guess that serves them right for trying to exploit).

Objectives are all done; I've positioned the minor touch objectives differently and given them a score of 2 points each. The 4 main objectives are now LDGProximityObjectives and are worth 10 points each (I haven't managed to get them to recall you back to base, but I don't think that matters too much with this map. The objectives are linear, with the exception of the 2nd main objective. That could be a problem.) The last objective requires a HybridBender for completion.

Managed to get round the teleporter/spawn rearrangement by ignoring them; they're hidden behind trigger related pillars, so I deleted the triggers ...

I have 2 issues though:

1). Vehicles: I cannot either modify the old vehicle spawns or create new vehicle spawns with the HybridBender tag (or any nitro vehicle). It says the file won't save because the file is read-only, so I'm confused. I think I've done something wrong somewhere.

2). Race: although I've saved it as Race, and get thus play offline under the LDG Racing mod with nitrovehicles, for purposes it's still an assault map (attacker and defender). I don't know how to change this.

Also, I can't get the timeextender to work, but this isn't vital as the map is fast-paced.

Thanks.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Tue 17 Sep , 2013 10:00 am

I feel guilty about spamming this page with updates!

Here's the final version: http://www.mediafire.com/?8nccahc6rtw8n9o

The issues above were non-issues really; just required a bit of common sense to fix. Both teams now have HybridBenders, and nothing else.

If someone could spare 10 minutes to run through the map, I'd be grateful. It takes around 6 to 7 minutes to complete all the objectives offline, so it's fairly well paced.