New maps could be played...

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: New maps could be played...

Post by iRobot » Sun 22 Sep , 2013 2:38 pm

Azarael wrote:There is no victory because the map was never intended to be removed. I assume someone deleted the base version, not realising that the 2k13 version wasn't in circulation.

Anyway, enjoy your fortress / teleporter crap. I guess you have to get kills somehow.
Whats different in the 2k13 version?

Is it not better?

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sun 22 Sep , 2013 11:51 pm

It's an amazing gameplay experience, a step up from the original. More detail, better gameplay, 100% fun, 0% spam.

This. Is. It.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 23 Sep , 2013 10:31 am

Why not upgrade it to that version then?

fuck_yeah

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Mon 23 Sep , 2013 3:52 pm

I don't get it Aza, why are you against maps such as Toystory or UrbanHotZone, specially the ones that provide a defense strategy and teleportation, or height advantages?... It is for me clear that the team that controls the strategical points better will dominate, but also the other team may succeed in taking the advantage during the game play. Is some kind of double domination strategy that the team could play if you arrange your teammates to follow. The point is to spawn in an equivalent or balanced position. Well that is of course when you have the chance to get your way in the map.
I don't think the problem is the map Toystory, but the railgun that clearly is instakill through walls. I mean explicitly finding a covered spot and use the thermal view to seek opponents in the other rooms. No camping issues meanwhile you hit someone, and no way the other team reaches the player cause they need to know where he/she hides and seek him/her and run all the map through with the bullseye on you...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 23 Sep , 2013 3:54 pm

For the same reason you're for them, I assume.

Both Urban Hot Zone and Toys Story offer height advantage to the team spawning high and both use teleporters as a crutch for bad flow. I'm getting sick of explaining this. I know some people like the idea of having an advantage just because they were lucky enough to spawn high, but as for me? I don't want that shit. There are plenty of maps which do play well, but they're not voted because it benefits lower-tier players to vote shitmaps to reduce the capabilities or performance of better players through lowered skillcap.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Mon 23 Sep , 2013 4:02 pm

Azarael wrote:For the same reason you're for them, I assume.

Both Urban Hot Zone and Toys Story offer height advantage to the team spawning high and both use teleporters as a crutch for bad flow. I'm getting sick of explaining this. I know some people like the idea of having an advantage just because they were lucky enough to spawn high, but as for me? I don't want that shit. There are plenty of maps which do play well, but they're not voted because it benefits lower-tier players to vote shitmaps to reduce the capabilities or performance of better players through lowered skillcap.
Ok, you have your point of view. Could you give me an example of a map that is well balanced in your concept?
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 23 Sep , 2013 4:27 pm

Although I hate the map, DM-Highlander is nicely balanced. There is a fortress and high points, but neither team starts in those places.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 23 Sep , 2013 5:32 pm

Goliath is an excellent example of a map with teleporters which works correctly. The teleporters are not a no-brainer choice as they are in other maps, nor are they a crutch to prevent the map from becoming unplayable.

I will happily play almost any other map than Toys, Urban Hot Zone or Insomnia (can't see anything on that map).

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Tue 24 Sep , 2013 2:33 am

Butcher wrote: you give me an example of a map that is well balanced in your concept?
Any CBP1/2 map should be a good example, they have the "classic" deathmatch map flow.

Capaco

Post by Capaco » Tue 24 Sep , 2013 8:02 am

Well then remove Observatory1999 or whatever its called too. you wish yourself to spawn near the elevators to go up and stay there whole map. people walking on the field, get railed or hunted down.