RACE-Boobie_Race

For posting your maps.
darkelf
Disappeared Administrator

Re: RACE-Boobie_Race

Post by darkelf » Fri 18 Oct , 2013 3:22 pm

Obj 1:
1. Think it was mentioned but yah the spawns textures being red is really hard on eyes.
2. Add a jump out or something out of spawn so enemies can just drive into the others spawn.
3. The blocking volume protecting the first obj from being jumped to directly from first jump is not good enough can easily be avoided by going to the right of it.
4. Would recommend going through all the bsp on obj 1 to make sure its aligned right. Its sloppy and its most likely why your getting bsp holes.
5. Obj 1 vehicle should be EMP Scorp.

Obj 2:
1. possibly put an arrow staticmesh/mover in to help direct dimbos to the correct way.
2. Is obj 2 even necessary?
3. Recommend adding a spawn right above 1st spawn and give players quantum scorp.
4. Its most likely possible for people to jump from first big jump right into the second obj tunnel. (Just add blocking volume and that should do it. )

Obj 3:
1. Same thing with obj1 spawn. Recommend you get rid of the bridge and just make it a jump so enemy can't just drive into others spawn.
2. Quantum scorp

Obj 4:
1. Make sure to really explore the terrain for possible jumps.. Think nitro vehicle scorp jump ability. It's extremely exploitable. The fog helps but people will get creative.

Obj 5:
1. This obj is extremely long.. and with 20 plus players playing and benders with only a few scorps I have the feeling that its going to suck badly with dozens of people shooting twin beams. I like the benders but I think it will be a major rage.
I recommend making it scorpions with web launcher make it true race with the chance to dodge a crap load of shots.
2. Its really long (forgot just how long it is..) might need to add arrows for bimbos when they drive over the obj from the top level terrain. They might get confused.

Overall:
1. Glass textures.. There cool and all but. They only work as being a added bsp. Using them for a subtracted bsp is a big no no.. Granted this was the original mappers error. Be kinda and please fix this :) .
2. Already mentioned but work on lighting a bit more. It looks like its just a bunch of zone info's that are doing the lighting. If this is the case make sure there are portals for each section that has a zoneinfo.
3. There is way to many player spawns.. granted this isn't necessary game breaking but dear GOD!! I seriously doubt we are going to have 50 players spawning at once lol.
4. Just simple clean up. Lots of teleporters and secret little areas with weapon lockers.. and there not needed. Just make it a race. Its a very fast paced map and there isn't really any need for weapons from what I can tell other then linkgun to heal vehicles.

That's what I think. Take it or leave it :)
Last edited by darkelf on Fri 18 Oct , 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 18 Oct , 2013 3:52 pm

Thanks for your feedback! I'll definately take it.

I think it does just need a clean-up in terms of texture and lighting. And I will change the scorpions around.

Re the Benders, they'll have to go. Not for the purposes of the twin beams (although this is a very good point) but because they're too immobile for the terrain, especially the downwards section. They're a nightmare to drive down there!

Obj 4 is pretty secure. The original mapper put a heap of blocking volumes down.

For the lighting, I need to delete the original 'red' lighting the author put down everywhere. It makes most things purple. I'm not sure about the ZoneInfo effect, because I disabled most of the fog (there was fog everywhere too).
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 18 Oct , 2013 4:00 pm

With really long objectives, you need to add some kind of mechanism where people can catch up. Otherwise, someone gets out in front, and everyone else drives in circles waiting for the map to finish because there is no way to catch up even if you wanted.

Hellbender maps usually do this by making parts of the track in firing range, so you have a chance to still do something.

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Fri 18 Oct , 2013 4:16 pm

iRobot wrote:With really long objectives, you need to add some kind of mechanism where people can catch up. Otherwise, someone gets out in front, and everyone else drives in circles waiting for the map to finish because there is no way to catch up even if you wanted.

Hellbender maps usually do this by making parts of the track in firing range, so you have a chance to still do something.
Could always just delete the bottom portion and try to add some difficulty to the top level to shorten it up a bit.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 18 Oct , 2013 4:31 pm

I'd loath to even touch the terrain elements. The last obj is long, true, but it's fun. Defenders originally had another spawn towards the end of the map, so something could be done there if necessary. But I recommend we leave it for now.

Regarding the bsp cuts, it's impossible to line them up. Each spiral has near to 300 separate surfaces ... however, I'm going to configure the light a bit.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Fri 18 Oct , 2013 8:12 pm

converting them to staticmeshes would make things better. Even though Ued-made meshes are really ugly anything is better than the current spirals.
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 18 Oct , 2013 8:22 pm

Ok, it's completed. I've incorporated most of Baby's and Elfy's feedback into the map (with the exception of the first spawn 'jump' - didn't think it was too necessary with sentinels). The lighting is perhaps still a bit crazy in places, but hey it's a crazy map and can be modified at a later date. I've managed to fix one of the major bsp cuts, but the other is more persistent (it's not too bad actually, just annoying). Obj 2 is gone, as are the Benders.

Regarding the last objective: I think it best to gauge some more opinions before deciding what to do. The length could be an issue, true, but it's an endurance race more than anything - fair warning about the lava section at the end, that'll claim a few speeding. If necessary, as Elfy said, we could cut it down a bit - that's not a problem.

I have 2 files: for 1, the sprials are now static meshes. The file below is the one where they are not (I haven't tested the other version yet, but this one works fine).

File: http://www.mediafire.com/?4i4852x9cwt773s

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 18 Oct , 2013 8:42 pm

>uncompressed file size 74mb
>open map
>go into myLevel in texture browser
>solid blocks of color are in RGBA8, 256x256 and 64x64
>every texture is either G16 (terrain), P8 or RGBA8

As has already been said, the map looks like shit. It's actually so bad that it's offensive to my eyes. If you're going to attempt to make it look acceptable, you have all of my sympathy, because I wrote it off as unworkable after a minute of looking at it.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 18 Oct , 2013 9:55 pm

This map needs its scale reducing like like half.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 18 Oct , 2013 10:49 pm

Sadly, you are both correct and I concede defeat: the map looks truly awful, and it's far too big (although it plays ok). I can do no more to salvage this in its entirety.

Objective 3 (the 'indoor' terrain section) is the reason I'm particularly fond of this map. Perhaps something could be made of that - it would be a shame to disregard it.