RACE-RainbowRace

For posting your maps.
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

RACE-RainbowRace

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Wed 30 Oct , 2013 1:42 pm

Been working on this now for a week or so, and I want to get it finished by Friday. I've basically taken a really obscure map called DR_HossaRace4 (which I don't remember seeing on any servers, possibly because the anonymous author didn't finish the spawn areas ...) and overhauled it. Kept the original theme and most of the original track, and I plan on building a second track above the first (it'll be a very simple one, a few jumps and movers). I've changed the name after translating the German description (it had a drug connotation, so I didn't think that would be acceptable). I'll compile a full log after I finish it; I've added in some teamwork shortcuts, bridges you have to move, etc. ).

Couple of issues :

The lighting. I haven't changed it, as I think the majority of it fits the theme well. But there are some garish bits, so I'll perhaps tone it down. My theory is that the lighting is bright to cover the fact that some of the road textures are stretched (the author has done something with the map scale so that everything is built 4 times smaller than it should be, yet the map scale is still set at 1 ...). I guess he/she just stretched out whatever they needed. The new section will not be lit this way: I'll just leave it to the sunlight.

The texturing. Some of it looks a bit amateuristic, primarily the loop and the tunnels. I'm going to leave this as I have no artistic talent, but it's a possible future improvement. I'll tone down the garish lighting in these areas.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: RACE - NetherRace

Post by iRobot » Wed 30 Oct , 2013 1:43 pm

Holy fuck those colours

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Wed 30 Oct , 2013 2:08 pm

iRobot wrote:Holy fuck those colours
As I said, I'd like to believe those colours were chosen to hide the texture stretching due to the scale error. However, it's more likely (according to the German translation) that this is a homage to drug-induced hallucinations ... so I changed the name.

It kind of works though. However, it needs toning down. Those greens ...
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Wed 30 Oct , 2013 2:27 pm

shrooms everywhere lol
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Wed 30 Oct , 2013 2:44 pm

Wow I recall this map now... Played it on a trials server years ago..

Its really sloppy mapping.. Perfect example of what not to do.. But a fun track none the less.

I look forward to playing a fixed version of this map!

Side note.. This map is seriously lacking in colors... ADD MORE COLORS!!!!

Map should be named RACE-Rainbow-Land
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 30 Oct , 2013 2:54 pm

RainbowRace or RainbowRoad are more exciting names than NetherRace TBH

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Wed 30 Oct , 2013 3:25 pm

Just a working name, I'll rename it. It's a bit sloppy, but it's not really a competitive map so it's not a huge concern!

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 30 Oct , 2013 3:37 pm

It needs an odd number of objectives to be comptitive!

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Wed 30 Oct , 2013 3:46 pm

This still looks pretty good if I compare it to Hourences' April Fools Joke BR-FindTheGHEYBall.
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

Donnie
Forever Alonnie

Post by Donnie » Wed 30 Oct , 2013 4:13 pm

wow :shock: