UnWheel

Discuss the mod server here.
iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: UnWheel

Post by iRobot » Tue 12 Nov , 2013 12:57 pm

Would it be possible to implement some kind of anti-camp for unwheel? This will;

a) Reduce idlers destroying peoples races by becoming obstacles
b) Remove the ability for griefers to block narrow chokepoints with a large vehicle
c) Warn other players there is someone idle on the track

Also, we need support to prevent people driving the track in the wrong direction.

Perhaps if you go through a checkpoint the incorrect direction, you are reset/damaged.

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Tue 12 Nov , 2013 1:52 pm

iRobot wrote: Also, we need support to prevent people driving the track in the wrong direction.
Perhaps if you go through a checkpoint the incorrect direction, you are reset/damaged.
This is already the case, if you go in the wrong way in one checkpoint you automatically respawn in the right checkpoint, you just don't know what is the right way sometimes..
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 12 Nov , 2013 1:57 pm

Mmmm well it feels like there is always some lemon driving backwards.

darkelf
Disappeared Administrator

Post by darkelf » Tue 12 Nov , 2013 2:15 pm

iRobot wrote:Would it be possible to implement some kind of anti-camp for unwheel? This will;

a) Reduce idlers destroying peoples races by becoming obstacles
b) Remove the ability for griefers to block narrow chokepoints with a large vehicle
c) Warn other players there is someone idle on the track

Also, we need support to prevent people driving the track in the wrong direction.

Could always make it a knockout lap kinda thing. Each lap last place player is eliminated or more depending on player count. This way if someone is going to slow or wants to troll they will be the first to be eliminated.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 12 Nov , 2013 2:27 pm

Sounds good as an alternate gametype, but if you're not very good at the track or if you get rammed off by someone then you'll get knocked out early and have no chance to improve.

I would also ask if the end timer could be increased, it seems when someone wins the race there is no chance for anyone else to finish unless they were close to the lead. I would perhaps increase the finish timer to 1 min or maybe even 2 mins, to let the people who aren't 1st still race.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 12 Nov , 2013 2:41 pm

Track cutting is why I mentioned per surface friction. I'd suggest that grass, mud, dirt etc be considered as the same surface for determining friction. This will punish players for cutting tracks and crappy driving. Ice does not exist on any UW track I know of.

Whether a checkpoint gives you correct facing on reset depends on whether or not I fixed it on the map in question. Most maps are fixed.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 13 Nov , 2013 11:05 am

The mentioned changes are live. Netcode will replicate toggle for fastjump and air control, so that can be used for limited time (say some sort of pickups) later, source uploaded. Also there could be netcode related bugs, since I switched to custom netcode.

Surface support is best viewed from UWSFX, SWheelUpdateDust. Pretty much can define two surface based multipliers for friction and slip (should be sufficient) per surface type, I just mentioned Ice as an example. However in many maps you race on grass etc., it will apply for those too. So I'm considering this open and undecided yet at this point.

The thing that needs fixing is damage, which is currently crippling both acceleration and top speed (quite significantly). Also the view shake is too heavy and the threshold could be better too.

Aside from the above, any other requirements / requests for physics and related things?

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 13 Nov , 2013 11:33 am

I share your concerns on the damage system. Perhaps would be better if damage affected handling rather than top speed/acceleration.

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Wed 13 Nov , 2013 12:17 pm

I would also like to mention that I almost purposefully wreck to get just a little damage so my vehicle isn't going to top insane ludicrous speed when I hold the gas down. The top speed on the currently 1 4x4 truck is pretty hard to handle.

Might be a neat Idea to add some kinda system to have more throttle control instead of full on full off. Maybe kinda like the ut2004 space ships(As-mothership)
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 13 Nov , 2013 3:50 pm

Would suggest having separate parameters for grass/dirt/mud etc as compared to high-traction surfaces like asphalt, done by vehicle class. Dune buggies and monster trucks shouldn't give a crap if they're on surfaces offering less traction, whereas sports cars should suffer badly.

Also, players joining after a race begins see any car which was racing in the game before they joined as jerking around the map.