UnWheel

Discuss the mod server here.
iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Re: UnWheel

Post by iZumo » Mon 11 Nov , 2013 8:23 am

There is only one vehicle available now, since the new physics requires additional settings.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 11 Nov , 2013 10:24 am

ETA on new settings?

Unwheel has been pretty popular as of late, to take away all the vehicles is jeopardizing that.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 11 Nov , 2013 2:34 pm

IMO proper handling on one vehicle is worth more than having the entire roster available. The vehicle balance is so poor that a one at a time readdition approach is optimal.

@Izumo: I heard you mention vehicle configuration (tuning). Would it not be a better idea to differentiate the vehicles themselves through different tuning / stats? Otherwise I see no reason to select more than one vehicle of each class.

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Mon 11 Nov , 2013 3:28 pm

I agree with Aza. There are many vehicles because they have different stats. Better try different settings on other vehicles to differentiate themselves otherwise they would be useless.
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 11 Nov , 2013 3:35 pm

Well I'm not saying I want all the OP vehicles, I just think some variety is nice. They can all have the same stats for all I care.

You could have chosen one that looks nice to leave in, like the Horizon (ok

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 11 Nov , 2013 4:55 pm

I think the Flair XF-150 was a safe choice, although I do favour the appearance of the Montana X-Vert among the dune buggy class. Since there's currently no per-tyre, per-surface friction in UnWheel, the vehicle performs acceptably on all maps. If / when the aforementioned is implemented (if it's possible at all), there will be advantages and disadvantages to each class of vehicle on different surface types.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Mon 11 Nov , 2013 6:52 pm

That can be changed btw., the tyres are aware on what kind of surface they are, you can hear it by skidding sound. The reason why there is just one vehcile now is just for testing purposes and quite a job to get the physics to behave reasonably. If you read back, the "blocker" for many vehicles will be point 2). There is no ETA on the new settings, but I's expect for it to take a while.

The friction is actually per-tyre (using each tyre's state variable), but it is assumed that all tyres are the same though.

The user tuneable settings is to toggle steering, braking and suspension; like in NV i.e user handling.

Also when you're finished today, up source back.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 11 Nov , 2013 6:58 pm

I never noticed much difference when using those settings in nVehicles. I think mine is broken.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 11 Nov , 2013 7:24 pm

The Venom family are based upon the Dodge Viper and its variants, which are known for poor braking. Having tuneable braking could cause it to lose its distinctiveness, depending on the effect.

I'll make the changes I intended now and upload source back shortly.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Mon 11 Nov , 2013 8:44 pm

That's true though, well I can omit that. Oh also as for the source, I'll not get to it sooner than around 8 PM PST (GMT-8).