Race-HydroponicGarden

For posting your maps.
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Race-HydroponicGarden

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Mon 18 Nov , 2013 6:22 pm

This is a map I've built up from scratch, based loosely on the map AS-AnotherF******Race. Converting that map wasn't actually possible for several reasons (the mapper underestimated the space required for the map, so ended up subtracting more and more cubes - there are over 7,000 surfaces making up the box the map is played in ... the map also had no Skybox, was textured black, had horrible BSP; oh, and with an impossible 'toilet trial' thrown in for good measure). I liked the overall design of the track though, so started afresh using the track meshes from CrazyRace.

The setting is a 'Hydroponic Farm' just above the Earth's atmosphere - the Earth has no remaining land available for cultivation, so crops are being grown in above (ignore the fact that most of the plants are actually trees, it could be a Hydroponic Tree sanctuary). In this scenario, the atmospheric ring surrounding the facility is cracking, and the players are scrapping it out to reach the last remaining lifepod.

There are five objectives, ranging in difficulty from easy to moderately easy. There are a variety of jumps and movers that have to be avoided. Each objective opens up another route to the next (I guess you can call them shortcuts). I haven't added directions, but maybe this could be done in the future. There's no music yet (looking for a nice custom track), nor is there a loadingscreen at the moment. Other than that, I couldn't find any major issues (FPS is sometimes moderate (60/70) but this is rare; there was also an issue with one of the map tube portal zones, but I think it's now fixed).

I'm not sure if the Hydroponic Trees and what not really work, but I like the idea. The map works fine offline, so hopefully it's all functioning ok (I've never made one from scratch, so hopefully everything is in place).

File: http://www.mediafire.com/?759y1850ezmmb40
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

darkelf

Re: Race-HydroponicGarden

Post by darkelf » Mon 18 Nov , 2013 6:48 pm

I just did a quick play through.

I like it. Its different and something new. Just enough challenge but not to much to make it impossible to do with enemy shooting.

Only things I noticed:

-Could be wrong but make sure the teleport back to base is only for objs that you need to teleport back for.
-As you mentioned defiantly going to need to have some kinda of arrow system to show where to go. I got lost once or twice.
-Attention to detail. The alignment is off on most of the track. Most wouldn't care but.. its the principle of the matter. Its easy to fall in to the sloppy mapping skills. Don't get stuck in that wicked evil path.

Good Job! Can't wait to give this a try on server.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 18 Nov , 2013 6:55 pm

Maybe give low gravity a try?

I'm not talking silly gravity like Morpheus3 but since it's a space station maybe you could lower the gravity a little.

Also while they may sound good, using custom tracks is a bad idea IMO as the average player won't have the file so the map may as well have no music at all, as that is what they will hear.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 18 Nov , 2013 7:03 pm

Low gravity will negatively affect vehicle physics by reducing the friction of the tyres.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 18 Nov , 2013 7:05 pm

If extreme, yes, but I'm talking about a slight gravity reduction. Just so you feel a little bit more floaty. It'll be really good to help give that space feel beyond some crappy overused skybox.

IMO * 100

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Mon 18 Nov , 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks for your feedback.

I'll go back through the alignment tomorrow and take a look; I tried to get it tight enough, and it doesn't look too bad to my uninitiated eyes, but there are a few segments off. I'll also add the directions and sort out the teleporting (didn't give that a second thought!)
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 18 Nov , 2013 7:16 pm

You shouldn't have any objectives where you're 'not meant' to teleport back in all honestly. Even in the absence of a teleport to base, people will rocket the floor or suicide. Might not be an issue once you've played the map 5 times and picked up on it, but just an idea.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Mon 18 Nov , 2013 7:24 pm

True, but Objectives 2, 3 and 4 are pretty much grouped together here (or, at least, they are on the same path, give or take a 'shortcut' or two). It's quicker for players to keep going than to start again. If they decided to suicide then so be it, but I think disabling the teleportation for Objectives 2 and 3 would hopefully help deter this (the fact that they're also likely to be in a vehicle would also help).

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Mon 18 Nov , 2013 11:57 pm

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. wrote:Converting that map wasn't actually possible for several reasons (the mapper underestimated the space required for the map, so ended up subtracting more and more cubes - there are over 7,000 surfaces making up the box the map is played in ... the map also had no Skybox, was textured black, had horrible BSP
You know that you couldve fixed that very easily by playing one huge subtract which covers the whole map, deleting the other 7000 subtracts and right clicking the huge subtract -> Order -> to First and then rebuild. that way it wouldnt destroy any existing geometry.
iRobot wrote:Maybe give low gravity a try?
Just like Aza said, lowgrav for vehicles really sucks. Especially Accelerating because the front of your vehicle will pull up in the air (just like motorbikes with strong acceleration in real life) with the difference that it wont move at all until its back on the ground. And the radius of the turns will increase so you cant really drive around tight corners anymore.
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Tue 19 Nov , 2013 12:53 pm

Fixed version: http://www.mediafire.com/?759y1850ezmmb40

- Fixed the alignment of the entire track (made the mistake of repeatedly dublicating a dodgy slope portion facepalm )

- Arrows are now in place to aid orientation

- Objectives 2, 3 and 4 now do not offer the chance of teleportation back to spawn

- Oh, and a few more pickups have been added.

Enjoy.

@Baby - thanks for the tip. In this case, however, it was easier just to start again; the map is only loosely based on the other, with quite a few variations, and I did not want to include that toilet trial. It is unique in its awfulness; if you ever want to give the original map a go, I can provide a link to show you the 7,000 subtracted surfaces!