Availability of the most popular maps??

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Availability of the most popular maps??

Post by Azarael » Sun 22 Dec , 2013 12:54 am

I don't think this is going to get past.

I restarted the server during a game of Highlander to apply a patch for a critical bug (was out of the blue thanks to a request on Skype). I refused to force back to Highlander when the server restarted and the resultant flood of tears washed everyone on the crash map away.

It's pathetic, but I think a lot of players are going to throw their toys out of the pram if the same selection of 7 or 8 maps they play every evening get double downtime.

Michie
Banned

Post by Michie » Sun 22 Dec , 2013 2:43 am

Azarael wrote:I don't think this is going to get past.

I restarted the server during a game of Highlander to apply a patch for a critical bug (was out of the blue thanks to a request on Skype). I refused to force back to Highlander when the server restarted and the resultant flood of tears washed everyone on the crash map away.

It's pathetic, but I think a lot of players are going to throw their toys out of the pram if the same selection of 7 or 8 maps they play every evening get double downtime.
I was on then Aza .So what your saying Cause of all the Tears they are getting Double Dowtime ? Hope what im reading is incorrect D= Collect them Tears ....Sour or Sweet LOL

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun 22 Dec , 2013 12:29 pm

All you had to do aza is put us back onto the map we were on... why all the fuss about "popuilar maps" jeez

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 22 Dec , 2013 2:03 pm

Part of the reason I cannot be bothered to play is that the same maps are voted all the time. Not everyone enjoys 45 minutes of highlander every god damn evening.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun 22 Dec , 2013 2:16 pm

but some people do like playing it every evening there's many people who do just because you dont like it..

Mecha
V.I.P. Member

Post by Mecha » Sun 22 Dec , 2013 3:30 pm

But be honest, isn't it boring to play "popular" maps over and over and over and all over again with the never-changing farming loadouts consisting of shitty M46s, FP7s, BORTs and Longhorns? It'll end up like Counter-Strike's de-dust2 map where people know exactly their enemies' spawnpoints to throw grenades at them, where to camp to abuse blind spots and place their crosshairs just to jumpspam you off as soon as you appear. I see that as zero input of raw skill, there needs to be changes to break this chain of monotony. Either by simple removal of those maps, lowering thier votepower or editing the map to make it unattractive to vote for the next time. My 2 cents, let the 'Popular Map Defense Force' roll in.
↑ ↓ A A B ← → A B ↑ A ↓ → → ← B ↑ ← A → B ← → A ← ↑ A ↓ A → ← B Select

I did it. Can you?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun 22 Dec , 2013 3:39 pm

Well i can see where your coming from but people(like me) enjoy playing those popular maps every day but if you come on earlier we do play different maps... its only in the late evenings that we play popular maps when everyone is on server... if you ant variety just come on earlier there are still quite a few people still playing

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 22 Dec , 2013 8:16 pm

The more often popular maps are played, the more popular they become. People prefer what they know. Unless someone like me steps in to break it up, the effect will become a runaway. Unfortunately, as Kirby has said, the Popular Map Defense Force jump in at the slightest suggestion of nerfing the uptime of their favourite dragfest maps.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Mon 23 Dec , 2013 1:54 am

Well I guess if there is a major demand for the popular maps then there is no reason not to give it to them.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Mon 23 Dec , 2013 3:32 am

Izumo_CZ wrote:Well I guess if there is a major demand for the popular maps then there is no reason not to give it to them.
Great, let's add Toys-Story and UHZ