RACE-VolcanoRace

For posting your maps.
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Re: RACE-VolcanoRace

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sat 04 Jan , 2014 5:51 pm

Bah, I couldn't find anything better to be honest. From ground level the planks actually work quite well, and you don't really noticed the jagged ones when going at speed.

Here's the finished version: https://www.mediafire.com/?nnee0w71b4e9tc1
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Tue 07 Jan , 2014 4:23 pm

The map is really good-looking now! However the track is very wide and there are sidewalls making it almost impossible to fail. I think you should add holes in the walls (maybe like in racetown) or lower these walls so you can throw people off the track with a good shot but they would have a chance to save it if they are good (if you see what i mean) and/or narrow the track a bit... Even the parts with the movers crossing the road are easy because they can't push you down!
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Thu 09 Jan , 2014 11:29 am

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to carry on developing this map when I have time this week - the track is going to be scaled down and rebuilt I guess; this should lower the walls too. I'd like to add more texture layers to the terrain as well - at the moment it's basically 95% rock. I'm also thinking about adding some smoke emitter effects, as it's something I haven't experimented with yet.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Thu 23 Jan , 2014 7:31 pm

Update: https://www.mediafire.com/?y5xav6hx20s312f

Track has been scaled down and rebuilt - I've taken OceanRun scaling as default, as it all seems to fit better. This means that the walls have been lowered. I didn't bother adding more texture layers, but I've thickened up the fog and darkened the map. There's some new obstacles, and the dodgy lift-bridge has been deleted. I didn't bother with the smoke emitters either; the fog sort of works just as well. I think that's about it.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 04 Apr , 2014 3:52 pm

Update: https://www.mediafire.com/?y5xav6hx20s312f

Lighting brightness (interior and exterior) has been significantly lowered. I've also added plenty more blocking volumes to discourage players from using the terrain to glitch and to provide objective trigger protection. I'm thinking about adding kill zones below the track in places where the lava doesn't cover, but we'll see how it goes. I'm disappointed about the lava - it used to be nice and bubbly, but something broke (not sure in which version) and it doesn't want to be fixed. But it still kills you.

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Fri 04 Apr , 2014 5:11 pm

what do you mean by "nice and bubbly"?
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 04 Apr , 2014 5:22 pm

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 04 Apr , 2014 5:56 pm

BabyDontHurtMeNoMore wrote:what do you mean by "nice and bubbly"?
Well I copied the fluidsurface settings from another map, so the lava acted in waves (entirely unrealistic, but it looked nice enough). So it lapped over the terrain a bit. But something broke down the line and it's now static - I've tried creating a new fluidsurface and also copying them from a variety of maps, but no movement whatsoever. It doesn't really matter, but I was a bit annoyed.

I don't like the orange flavoured Aero D=

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Fri 04 Apr , 2014 6:16 pm

Well, it is moving, just not as much. Try:

FluidDamping 0.01
FluidHeightScale 0.1
NoiseFrequency 512
FluidSpeed 64

I think that looks fairly decent for "bubbly" lava. Its still way to fast to be realistic, but I think you werent going for realism anyway :P
If you dont like these settings, just play around with them a bit, I think those values explain themselves pretty much.
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 04 Apr , 2014 6:47 pm

Ah, thank you! Those settings look much better. Weird that my old settings stopped working though, hmm.

https://www.mediafire.com/?y5xav6hx20s312f