Questionnaire about the old map

Discuss the Minecraft server here.
Pinky
Disappeared Administrator

Questionnaire about the old map

Post by Pinky » Mon 09 Dec , 2013 12:40 am

I would like to get some comments on the question whether to keep our old in map in parallel to a new one or not.

If we indeed keep our old map, there will be some changes because the new terrain generator of the 1.7.x version doesn't work quite well with our old map:
- All remaining terrain needs to be pre-generated before the update.
- This also means, that the map size will be decreased for that action. The world borders of the map would be around: x1 = -5600, x2 = 2800, z1 = -5000, z2 = 3100. Anyone living outside this area needs to be relocated.
- These map borders will remain fixed forever.
- Additionally, repair operations via the regeneration command would be impossible in the future.
- Last but not least: there will be no Nether available for the old map - you'll have to move in the real world even over large distances.

If we don't keep the old map, I can copy all interesting content to the new map. The content can be as large as focus' railway, including the surrounding jungle, mountains, and desert...

Calypto

Re: Questionnaire about the old map

Post by Calypto » Mon 09 Dec , 2013 7:02 am

As you already know, I am for keeping two worlds in parallel. No Nether shouldn't be too bad as the map size will be lowered then locked at pre-defined borders. I guess an option of copying over old builds into the new world while running parallel worlds may also be of appeal for others.

Anhrak

Post by Anhrak » Mon 09 Dec , 2013 2:38 pm

I would like to know...

What do you mean with 'parallel'? Do you mean it, as in being accesible on a different IP? Or do you mean parallel as in you can acces and transfer content from one world to anoyther?

Although I haven't played for a long while here, I'm actually against both solutions.

Solution 1 would harshly split the community, especially when the community size, of what I heard, is horribly small.

Solution 2 would give some unfairness contrary to other members... as a fact, girefing/raiding is not allowed. However, who is going to make sure that people aren't going to plunder old creations from the old map simply because no one notices it?

But instead of a 'prick that only says no', I could suggest a solution to make the old worldmap downloadable so people still could have a trip down to memory lane to their old builds, and aren't nessecarily forced to deal with any immobility issues.

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Mon 09 Dec , 2013 4:12 pm

Anhrak wrote:What do you mean with 'parallel'? Do you mean it, as in being accesible on a different IP? Or do you mean parallel as in you can acces and transfer content from one world to anoyther?
Parallel means that it's an additional dimension, accessible via special gates or warp signs. Inventory sharing with the main world can be either enabled or disabled, as desired.

focus

Post by focus » Mon 09 Dec , 2013 6:06 pm

I have another idea. Its possible to treat new 1.7 map as a resource world. So, you will be able to bring all new features of 1.7 to old LDG map. Acacia wood, dark wood, new flowers, etc.

I am not sure that its important for many of us to actually live in a new 1.7 world. Maybe features and blocks will be enough? Besides, those new 1.7 worlds have became dark and gloomy. There are only forests and plains around. I sometimes think, that they have lost some charm of previous worlds.

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Mon 09 Dec , 2013 6:38 pm

It's not just new blocks and biomes, the entire terrain generator has been changed. We would never be able to have the new generator do anything in our present world - it would totally mess up the chunks.

Besides, there is one particular important reason to have new main map: the way minecraft saves special world structures has been changed. On the old map, special structures like Nether fortresses, strongholds, witch huts, or villages will stop working properly with the 1.7 version. There is some workaround though, but it would be required that every single one of those structures is visited and saved in the new format before the server version is updated.

Flo
RAGEMASTER

Post by Flo » Thu 12 Dec , 2013 3:56 pm

Hmm, not quite sure about that.

If the Nether works fine for the new map (also as an "shortcut" for traveling through the new map) and only the old map "loosing" its Nether, than I'm fine with keeping it parallel through special gates, as it would reduce the work both of the players to scale their old houses and the admins as well to copy it into the new map.

But if keeping it parallel would be any chance mean that a "feature" or "feeling" of a completely new map gets lost in some kind of way, than I'm strongly against it, since it is time for a fresh start.
(though I'm a little bit worried about 1.7.3/4 already coming out with the 1.7.2 not even done yet)

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Thu 12 Dec , 2013 11:13 pm

The Nether will work normally on the new map. The only problem is, that you can't have two independent Nether dimensions because the Nether portals will only provide links from the main world to the main world's Nether. Therefore, the Nether portals on the old map will simply stop working, i.e. you are not transported anywhere.

The 1.7.3 update is, btw, only a client-side bug-fix. The server version remains at 1.7.2

Flo
RAGEMASTER

Post by Flo » Mon 16 Dec , 2013 9:16 am

Okay, that wouldn't be a problem for me, as long as the new maps has all the features and the old one is an accessible extra with some restrictions due to the parallelism.
I won't mind that.

Then I would make a fresh start without any materials and house (vanilla) and as soon as I won't to do some bigger project I can always get the stored things back in the old house ^_^

As for the ender chest, even if the old map is copied, we need to empty than beforehand and put things in usual chests so nothing gets lost, right?

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Mon 16 Dec , 2013 1:19 pm

Flo wrote:Okay, that wouldn't be a problem for me, as long as the new maps has all the features and the old one is an accessible extra with some restrictions due to the parallelism.
I won't mind that.

Then I would make a fresh start without any materials and house (vanilla) and as soon as I won't to do some bigger project I can always get the stored things back in the old house
Actually, at the moment I'm thinking about separate inventories for the different worlds...