bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Re: New AS maps ?

Post by bOnO » Mon 16 Dec , 2013 11:51 pm

Let's start with the OP raptor...
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

darkelf
Disappeared Administrator

Post by darkelf » Tue 17 Dec , 2013 8:28 am

I would be ok with placing maps on server. Even if there unbalanced. It will give us mappers/editors a chance to see how the maps play online and what needs to be fixed to make them playable.

We have gotten a few additional mappers that would gladly devote a little time to fixing these up. Might as well give it a try.

As mentioned before the said maps in this thread are flawed maps. But they have potential lets give them the chance they deserve..
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Tue 17 Dec , 2013 9:55 am

Out of the above list, I myself would only list Damnation (which needs fixing just one objective, the optional objective that gets disabled if the main objective is done for the current stage and has significant impact later). Unbalanced AS maps in favor of defenders is absoultely no go, this would only lead to rage quits (on the choke points); attacker side is more tolerable.

Generally I'm more reserved when adding new AS maps - in past it happened that AS got chainvoted several times (say 3 or 4) on the good maps (so there was little race players leaving, but there was majority of AS players. Since they had no "good map" to vote, they voted "crap map" -> result? Everybody at the end RQed (RACErs first, then half of AS players didn't want to play that crap and the rest RQed because "too low ppl" on the server), and this wasn't the only time. I once enforced the rule "1 out of 4" maps to be AS max., otherwise heavy undervote, because of the RQing (later players started RQing on a chain of two AS maps), many of you remember this. So my opinion is that adding AS maps is not a win-win scenario.

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Tue 17 Dec , 2013 10:13 am

This argument of yours is addressing a totally different problem. Granted yes its a concern but.. Adding as maps isn't necessarily going to increase or decrease this problem. It more or less comes down to the individual player above all else.

I would be more in favor of rotating out the as map list with different maps in each rotation. For example you have 15 votable as maps for one month then the next month you get 15 other different maps. That way we see a bit more forced upon variety. That way you can keep the number of as maps down..
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Tue 17 Dec , 2013 7:33 pm

Or we could include "new" maps little by little, like one or two every two weeks (all the numbers in this sentence can be modified :P )

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Wed 18 Dec , 2013 1:52 pm

Magma was in the not in cycle maplist so i put it back and I had the occasion to play it yesterday... And it's terrible. The map is very narrow; paladins at half of the obj for defenders; there is a moment when attackers must destroy a big crystal and have a tank to help them, but defenders have 2 plasma turrets with direct view on this tank which respawns immediately when destroyed; and last but not least, defenders respawn ON the objective they have to defend. I was playing a 1vs2 yesterday, I killed my opponents 5 times and couldn't reach the objective. It also implies that attackers have to spawnkill.

So if someone brave enough wants to try to... ""fix it""...

Also I wouldn't mind giving a try to the maps you proposed but I don't have them, so if someone would care to upload them... Thanks.

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Wed 18 Dec , 2013 2:03 pm

bOnO wrote:Magma was in the not in cycle maplist so i put it back and I had the occasion to play it yesterday... And it's terrible. The map is very narrow; paladins at half of the obj for defenders; there is a moment when attackers must destroy a big crystal and have a tank to help them, but defenders have 2 plasma turrets with direct view on this tank which respawns immediately when destroyed; and last but not least, defenders respawn ON the objective they have to defend. I was playing a 1vs2 yesterday, I killed my opponents 5 times and couldn't reach the objective. It also implies that attackers have to spawnkill.

So if someone brave enough wants to try to... ""fix it""...

Also I wouldn't mind giving a try to the maps you proposed but I don't have them, so if someone would care to upload them... Thanks.
I'll take a look at magma. Its been a long time since I played it. But I most likely will not get to work on it till some time next week or the following.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 18 Dec , 2013 2:06 pm

Is/Are the Paladin(s) instant respawn?

I imagine it takes a lot of effort to take them down. To respawn instantly would be frustrating.

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Wed 18 Dec , 2013 2:09 pm

Not instant, but they respawn very fast, maybe 30s.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 18 Dec , 2013 2:18 pm

That's too quick, imo. 30 seconds isnt much of an attacking window.