Black holes & mining lifts, shafts, teleports and stairs

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
Spin

Black holes & mining lifts, shafts, teleports and stairs

Post by Spin » Tue 24 Dec , 2013 1:48 am

We were talking about this in server, but it's hard to follow for me when I play. So please Aza just tell us what is acceptable and what is not.

Teleport: not acceptable in any fashion
Lifts, shafts, stairs: you can put black hole on top of it, because players can see and hear it, prox mines, fp9a bx are forbbiden

Did I got it right?

Also I remeber you said once, that if there is another way to got to some point you can put any mine there(like in inferno lift), but you cannot put it where there is only one way to get to some point(like village I think).
Anyway just tell us what is allowed and what is not.

likeaboss

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Black holes & mining lifts, shafts, teleports and stairs

Post by Azarael » Tue 24 Dec , 2013 2:04 am

Any strategy which is uncounterable or requires excessive effort up to and including interrupting game flow to counter is deemed unacceptable.

This means that it is forbidden to use any kind of trap on a teleport, because such traps are not detectable from the teleport's other side.
This means that it is forbidden to mine lift shafts and other blind spots such as the tops of ladders, because this encourages players to wait at every single lift shaft in the game for the purposes of inspecting it just to avoid the cheap kill. This kills the game flow.

With respect to black holes:

Black holes have an extremely prominent animated visual effect, play ambient sound and can be destroyed through weapon fire. This means it's not acceptable to place them on teleporters, since they act as blind traps on a teleporter. It IS acceptable to use a black hole on a lift shaft if the enemy can clearly detect it through its visual effect or the sound it produces, without having to modify their playstyle dramatically. Given the visibility of the jump hole on Osiris as well as its proximity to the lift and the ability to remove the black hole by shooting at it, creating such a hole at the Osiris roof lift jump is acceptable.

Spin

Post by Spin » Tue 24 Dec , 2013 2:40 am

Azarael wrote:Any strategy which is uncounterable or requires excessive effort up to and including interrupting game flow to counter is deemed unacceptable.

With respect to black holes:

Black holes have an extremely prominent animated visual effect, play ambient sound and can be destroyed through weapon fire. This means it's not acceptable to place them on teleporters, since they act as blind traps on a teleporter. It IS acceptable to use a black hole on a lift shaft if the enemy can clearly detect it through its visual effect or the sound it produces, without having to modify their playstyle dramatically. Given the visibility of the jump hole on Osiris as well as its proximity to the lift and the ability to remove the black hole by shooting at it, creating such a hole at the Osiris roof lift jump is acceptable.

1. I destroyed 2 black holes with my underpowered a49. I was aiming, so every shot hit them. After they were destroyed I was left with 10 ammo. Not to mention that I was sitting duck at that time. I'm sure you will agree that it took excessive effort AND interrupted MY game flow.
2. They can be destroyed only by energy weapons(correct me if I'm wrong).
2a.(assuming 2. is correct) If you don't have energy weapons in loadout you have to change play style dramatically. i.e. play outside of blocked area and change loadout next round in order to get there.
2b.(if 2. is wrong) You have to use shitload of ammo to destroy black hole and play with only 1 weapon.

EDIT: How much ammo/energy is needed to destroy base black hole?

Yes there was a lot of players playing at that given moment, but you only need 2 players to make it.

Michie
Banned

Post by Michie » Tue 24 Dec , 2013 2:54 am

Mines .Why is it mines explode when I run by and not my team mates that I placed ?
If a mine is placed it should not touch any Team mates or myself. Also I noticed that Mines place by both teams are very well seen. They are noticed by both sides. Some are very well camoed also. No blinking lights at all. 99 % of the time I place them on a Frozen player . But I do play Defence also. I mine to live. I use any means that is fair to make it away. ^^ Reason being I use A 500 . I support and play Defence. High Ping does this to me so I support ^^

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 24 Dec , 2013 6:06 am

Black holes are affected by all weapons and require ~2 mags to destroy.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 24 Dec , 2013 11:31 am

"Look before you leap"

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Tue 24 Dec , 2013 12:20 pm

An other question is:

Is it acceptable that two players in different teams agree on TeamSpeak not to kill themselves in order to place black holes at the top of a lift in order to "bahaha let's troll the shitters who only like Osiris because of its roof"?

@= .=
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 24 Dec , 2013 12:31 pm

That argument is irrelevant as players on the same team can also do it.

Definitelynotjay

Post by Definitelynotjay » Tue 24 Dec , 2013 12:36 pm

I would say no. Because, correct me If I'm wrong, since two different teams helped create it, wouldn't it effect both teams? And that, if I'm honest, should be classed as team-killing. .=
You see a mouse trap, I see free cheese and a fucking challenge.
They will try to kill you. Kill them back.

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Tue 24 Dec , 2013 1:18 pm

It is irrelevant regarding the conversation about "where to put black holes/mines". But since Azarael has perfectly and clearly answered that question I asked an additional question.

If ONLY two players in the same teams wanted to piss the whole server off just because "bahahaha, those shitters love that over played map, lets kill their fun bitches!" that's their problem, I believe that joining the other team ONLY in order to have fun destroying the game play of 22 players is a bit disrespectful.

But I believe that I've heard some "they are so pathetic" regarding fairness on "over played" maps so I don't expect any better from both of you.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael