Map Rotation Opinions

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.

What map rotation do you like?

Popular maps available every evening - because the maps are good
22%
Popular maps available every evening - because I know them well
No votes
More maps in the pool by blocking popular maps the following evening
61%
I don't mind either option
17%

Total votes: 23

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Map Rotation Opinions

Post by iZumo » Wed 25 Dec , 2013 9:58 pm

Allright, there is quite a discussion about whether map rotation be and some diversity, including among admins:

1) popular maps to be available every evening
2) stricter map rotation - in a way that if popular maps are played one evening, they are not available the next evening

This is merely a matter of personal preference so let's see what that actually is. No troll votes here!

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: Map Rotation Opinions

Post by iRobot » Wed 25 Dec , 2013 10:02 pm

I would gladly (re)donate if I could enjoy a better variety of maps.

Highlander has been played every evening without fail for the past year. I bet if you took the time to check the logs it would probably be 99% accurate. Perhaps the same for Osiris2. These two maps alone sponge up 1hr-1hr30 of every evening.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 25 Dec , 2013 10:17 pm

Slightly altered the poll (needs revoting).

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 25 Dec , 2013 10:26 pm

I have selected the only option available which opposes the same maps every evening.

To have the same maps played every evening, especially extremely long maps such as Highlander, sucks the variety and fun out of the game and it is one reason why I have stopped playing on BW lately. I am tired of joining during the evening on the same map or maps. I express distaste at the high playercount vote weighting on maps preferred by some members of the admin team and the current repeat limit - both of which are rigged to ensure the same maps are always available every evening.

I also believe there are three effects at work (in addition to basic map quality) when considering the popularity of topmaps:

The first is the sheep effect, where players who express no particular preference will vote for a map already up on the board (usually the first voted map) or the map highest in vote count.
The second is the ability to sort maps by play count - which leads to players voting maps with high plays in the mistaken assumption that they are necessarily superior to maps with low playcounts.
The third relates to acclimatisation and efficiency, which dictate that players will perform better on maps they know compared to maps they don't and that players will prefer to learn the maps which are voted most frequently to maximise their reward. Popular maps are voted so frequently in comparison to other maps that almost all players on the server know and are used to them, which is a factor which cannot be ignored when considering the motivation to vote a particular map.

All of the above have been ignored in analysis of the situation by some members of the community, in favour of peddling the myth that the top maps are simply superior for BW and that any attempt to restrict the topmaps in any way whatsoever will result in the server's demise. This is a view I do not share, and as I'm sure some of you will now be able to see in the ban forums, I'm willing to take consequences in opposing the current situation because as it stands, I no longer care at all about working or playing on Ballistic 1.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Wed 25 Dec , 2013 11:30 pm

Another issue that prevents many maps from being played is vote weight applied based on the number of players ingame. Maps such as Old Haven are set to be played with a full server, and cannot be voted with a small player count even if the map plays well with 10 players. This issue needs to be reviewed in order to allow for a higher variety of gameplay.

One other thing I would like to mention is the alternation of map versions. Downtown City and Highlander have been edited to alter gameplay. One way to keep the popular maps fresh is to alternate between different versions, creating different gameplay situations in the same map.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 25 Dec , 2013 11:33 pm

Calypto wrote:Another issue that prevents many maps from being played is vote weight applied based on the number of players ingame. Maps such as Old Haven are set to be played with a full server, and cannot be voted with a small player count even if the map plays well with 10 players. This issue needs to be reviewed in order to allow for a higher variety of gameplay.
A good example is Osiris2. The recommended playercount is 6-14 players, but if you actually vote for it with this many in the game, your vote will be between 0.1 and 0.6.

It's one of the ones 'locked' to peak time.

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 12:13 am

Voting progress should be hidden, so that voting is done in private - like any sensible election system out in the real world.

Otherwise herd behaviour, peer pressure and laziness will distort the results. Obviously.

And hide that play count too.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 12:27 am

I've checked the numbers in the voting stats - so they indeed show that Highlander has a ~+100 hours of total playtime and also the highest average player count (> 90%), from the stats. The other maps do not have that, so on that, I agree with Aza that players might just go and vote the map, because it was already voted by someone.

The solution here could be, as it's likely there is going to be some minority:
- Highlander is untouched (sequence exception to 60) and remains the only exception
- vote weighting on the maps like Osiris is releived, giving a good weight for middle - high playercount and not just high, provided they are playable with that count
- map sequence limit is increased to secure that if one of those map is voted one evening, it won't be available the other evening

pupimassa

Post by pupimassa » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 12:31 am

U all know my opinion very well. You cant see me so often on the server nowadays for 2 main reasons:
1) Ive started to play bf4 (damn drug)
2) Whenever I join BW to have fun, only maps I hate are played - simply not having fun at all then

I believe the option I voted will bring me back to the server because I love it for its freedom of choice - weapons and maps. We have great variety of maps here and some of them are so underrated, such a shame...

Wanted to join, but just few minutes ago - Osiris2, just now - Highlander...oh man, seems I won´t play bw tonight...again.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 12:34 am

Highlander has high average playercount because it's artificially rigged to only be vote-able during peak hours. Therefore, it'll often be 22/22, simply by way of the map being blocked at anything less.

If you vote the map with 5-10 players, you're met with "You can't vote this map right now."
If you vote the map with 11-16, your vote weight is handicapped.

Why are you not quoting player stats from other maps? Maps like FreeTibet and Goatswood? These are good maps, suitable for 22/22, that don't seem to be played often, for some reason.

No offense but your 'solution' to preserve Highlander is laughable. The topic itself is based on the problem of playing Highlander daily. To offer Highlander as the only protected map is not welcome.