Map Rotation Opinions

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.

What map rotation do you like?

Popular maps available every evening - because the maps are good
22%
Popular maps available every evening - because I know them well
No votes
More maps in the pool by blocking popular maps the following evening
61%
I don't mind either option
17%

Total votes: 23

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Re: Map Rotation Opinions

Post by iZumo » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 1:44 am

Ah oops, my bad.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 3:52 pm

Well, I like Highlander... anyway, there are hundreds of maps we never play, maybe a random selection voting would help...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 6:37 pm

Why not doing something similar to Race VS As? Take the 10 most played maps and downweight them...
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 27 Dec , 2013 6:13 pm

So, working from the anonymous voting suggestion, here is my proposal for voting reform.
  • map vote reworked to be closer to instant action map selection layout - seq / play therefore gone, and optimally map name would be read from LevelSummary instead of sending map filename to clients which is extremely 2003
  • anonymous voting with server confirmation of your vote only
  • server picks an option randomly, weighted based on votes for each map.
  • influencing the votes of other players becomes an offense (in ALL forms - whether by calling out what you voted, drawing attention to a map just coming back up into the list, complaining that <mapname> hasn't been played in a while, anything like this) to stop bitching about the occasions when a majority vote is not selected through implication - chatbox could be removed from voting menu and chat blocked entirely during voting if necessary
Advantages:
  • no tactical voting, stops "<gametype> votes unite" because the chance for a particular gametype to win is exactly the same regardless of how the votes are spread across its maps
  • vote for what you want without persecution or having to vote a particular way to stop a hated map
  • no sheep effect - you actually have to think about what you want to vote
  • no playcount effect - judge for yourself the quality of a map
  • far more fair and representative than pure majority voting is, especially in the case of 55-45 splits - works to prevent server domination by a majority which forces the minority to quit because they have no chance in the voting at all
  • means that VIP voting boosts are ALWAYS effective, instead of being useless in the face of a majority voting a hated map (a complaint which I've received) thus increasing incentive to donate
  • offers the opportunity to rework the voting to be more convenient to players by storing the recommended player count as LDG defines it as part of the map vote history entry and using this on the client's side to group maps into separate subsections of the main voting list. High playercount, medium playercount, low playercount, very low playercount, 1on1 would be my examples - this also prevents players from feeling overwhelmed by the massive list of maps
Disadvantages:
  • lack of transparency - open to accusations (and I guarantee there will be at least one) of admins secretly manipulating the voting

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 27 Dec , 2013 7:16 pm

Azarael wrote:[*]server picks an option randomly, weighted based on votes for each map.

focus

Post by focus » Fri 27 Dec , 2013 8:10 pm

This voting scheme will be essentially random pick of maps. With drift towards most popular ones.

Because:
When players dont see other's choices, that ensure that there will be a wide selection of maps on each vote round.
Probability of co-incidence of votes for the same map would be low.
But probability of player voting for a popular map will be high. Essentially, that will ensure that on each vote round there will be a high proportion of popular maps. And accordingly, probability of choice of one of them for the next match will be high.

For example. There are 100 maps on the server. And 20 of them are the most popular. That number is enough to fill all available time for play on each day. Of 20 players on the server, we will receive vote for 15 maps. And 10 of them will be in that 20-most-popular. Chance of choosing Highlander, Osiris, Goose, etc will be 2/3 on each round. trollface

But if you make popular maps to interleave with non-popular by forbidding voting, you could get popular map choice only on 1/2 of all cases. (or even 1/3, if you chose forbid-forbid-allow pattern).

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 27 Dec , 2013 8:38 pm

I wasn't suggesting that the voting proposition above be the total solution to this problem. It was a general suggestion as well.

Besides, at the moment, the chance of Highlander if more than 50% of the server vote it is 100%. My solution at least gives the minority a chance.

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Sat 28 Dec , 2013 1:12 am

Losing Seq/Play columns would help but I'd also suggest adding the recommended MinPlayers and MaxPlayers for each map too.

At the moment voters don't want to take the risk of being left at the start of a huge map, if there's only a few players on the server, or vice versa. Once that happens, some players usually bail out which makes it even worse.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 28 Dec , 2013 1:14 am

The Instant Action / Host Game interfaces show this. In our case, we'd make a judgment of the proper playercount as it applies to BW and send that to the clients.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Sat 28 Dec , 2013 6:54 am

Hmm,
Azarael wrote:
  • map vote reworked to be closer to instant action map selection layout - seq / play therefore gone, and optimally map name would be read from LevelSummary instead of sending map filename to clients which is extremely 2003
The free space for seq / play still should be used for the actual filename, at least for the beginning, as people rather remember the maps by that + to see actual versions of the map.
Azarael wrote:
  • anonymous voting with server confirmation of your vote only
The result here will be completely opposite: a popular map has a greater chance to be voted, so it's more probable that the votes will be accumulated on the popular maps, because the votes for the "not-so-popular" maps will be shattered among the maps + many players will rather vote for something where they have a chance of winning effectively reducing the chance of rare maps to zero.
Azarael wrote:
  • server picks an option randomly, weighted based on votes for each map.
One bad vote for a shit map may get it voted and in some cases the server to get emptied. This is definitely bad idea, many of you have maps you wish not to play at all.
Azarael wrote:
  • influencing the votes of other players becomes an offense (in ALL forms - whether by calling out what you voted, drawing attention to a map just coming back up into the list, complaining that <mapname> hasn't been played in a while, anything like this) to stop bitching about the occasions when a majority vote is not selected through implication - chatbox could be removed from voting menu and chat blocked entirely during voting if necessary
Impractical - how do you want to check TS? How do you want to check trolls, that would have a shit map voted, because other players didn't see that map has high votes and had their votes shattered?

Honestly I think that anonymous voting is quite a step back and it's very uncertain if the result will be more diversity or no diversity, from math point of view "no diversity" is more likely. A map wins the vote because players want to play it, this part works well, no need to remove it. Secondly the goal is to achieve diversity but not at the point to play worse games because of it.

For the advantages
Azarael wrote:
  • no tactical voting, stops "<gametype> votes unite" because the chance for a particular gametype to win is exactly the same regardless of how the votes are spread across its maps
This is false because that assumes every gametype has the same popularity. Same effect as with the maps and also makes the chances even worse because two players may vote for a single map and different gametype and they would be counted separately.
Azarael wrote:
  • vote for what you want without persecution or having to vote a particular way to stop a hated map
Correct, although affilated because you may think that map xxx has no chance to win and the vote to be wasted.
Azarael wrote:
  • no sheep effect - you actually have to think about what you want to vote
Correct.
Azarael wrote:
  • no playcount effect - judge for yourself the quality of a map
Also correct.
Azarael wrote:
  • far more fair and representative than pure majority voting is, especially in the case of 55-45 splits - works to prevent server domination by a majority which forces the minority to quit because they have no chance in the voting at all
As Bono pointed out, we can use similar system we have on AS / Race on popular maps.
Azarael wrote:
  • means that VIP voting boosts are ALWAYS effective, instead of being useless in the face of a majority voting a hated map (a complaint which I've received) thus increasing incentive to donate
Possibly.
Azarael wrote:
  • offers the opportunity to rework the voting to be more convenient to players by storing the recommended player count as LDG defines it as part of the map vote history entry and using this on the client's side to group maps into separate subsections of the main voting list. High playercount, medium playercount, low playercount, very low playercount, 1on1 would be my examples - this also prevents players from feeling overwhelmed by the massive list of maps
Actually this is a pretty good idea.

Anyway, I myself was thinking of other changes:

- voting remains public so players can see what's winning
- underweight popular maps just as they are on AS / Race
- repeat limit set to cca. once / 1.5 days
- less restricted player count vote weighting, allowing the popular maps to be voted more freely
- hide seq / play count from voting and use the level summary map name to fill the missing space (actually 1st column would be the level summary, 2nd column would be the filename)
- rework gametype voting: count votes for maps and gametype individually - i.e select the map that got the most votes regardless of the gametype and then select the gametype that got the most votes regardless of the map
- grouping the maps by 1on1 / small / medium / large to help new players for better orientation
- possibly NOT allowing changing your vote after you voted to prevent stacking of hate votes