New Forum Layout

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
Relict
V.I.P. Member

New Forum Layout

Post by Relict » Fri 27 Dec , 2013 12:28 am

HEY!

I have been tasked with moving the current forum over to a new platform that looks much cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing that the current template, because this template looks like it was created in 2007.

ANYHOW. I have already uploaded a small demo of an edited template, and you can view it here: http://relict.ws/dev/index.php - I still need to edit the CSS, and experiment with different colour palettes. Anyway, I require some assistance from whoever is in charge of the webserver for this website. I think that is Izumo, so if you are reading this, can you get me a copy of the current forum in its entirety as well as a copy of the MySQL database. I need to do some migration tests before I do them on the current LDG webserver to avoid issues and downtime.

I spoke to Azarael about this, and he had no concerns with this happening, so hopefully y'all are fine with this. The forum could def. use a re-skin, eh?

If you got questions, just ask me, yo.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: New Forum Layout

Post by Azarael » Fri 27 Dec , 2013 12:58 am

To clarify, I didn't task relict with this with the implication that it would be guaranteed, as I cannot act unilaterally. I suggested that the change be posted and also that it would be unlikely that any opposition would be raised to the idea.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 27 Dec , 2013 1:15 am

Honestly, I think the new WIP doesn't look as good.

Relict
V.I.P. Member

Post by Relict » Fri 27 Dec , 2013 2:22 am

I'll create some more demos in the meantime of different templates, and I'll make a poll so people can choose the one they like most. If people feel a change in template is a bad idea, I can just scrap the whole idea of course. It's totally up to you guys.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Fri 27 Dec , 2013 5:15 am

I've sent a PM to Izumo earlier regarding a new forum theme but received no reply. If your hopes are really up, I'd like to see this theme as the future layout. http://phpbb3responsive.com/2/

Relict
V.I.P. Member

Post by Relict » Fri 27 Dec , 2013 5:33 am

Yeah, sure. That can be done. If you want to continue using PHPBB3, then it'll make migration literally non-existent which makes everything a whole lot easier. I'll install phpbb3 on my dev site and re-familiarize myself with the backend. The reason I initially chose SMF is due to its vast customizability, which may be something you want to think about before completely settling with phpbb. Let me know what you'd like to do!

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 27 Dec , 2013 12:31 pm

relok 4 adim

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Fri 27 Dec , 2013 1:21 pm

I'm not opposed to switching the theme, but let's keep it phpBB3, no real reason to migrate to SMF, no? To change the style, it will have to be patched, because stuff like "public polls" etc. require some modification of the style. The position for "webserver admin" is free (since Takeo is retired) - requirement is that you'd be able to do all that on your own, without needing my assistance in terms of php modifications etc. .

Donnie
Forever Alonnie

Post by Donnie » Fri 27 Dec , 2013 1:51 pm

relokt2win

Relict
V.I.P. Member

Post by Relict » Fri 27 Dec , 2013 4:42 pm

Izumo_CZ wrote:I'm not opposed to switching the theme, but let's keep it phpBB3, no real reason to migrate to SMF, no? To change the style, it will have to be patched, because stuff like "public polls" etc. require some modification of the style. The position for "webserver admin" is free (since Takeo is retired) - requirement is that you'd be able to do all that on your own, without needing my assistance in terms of php modifications etc. .
Yeah, sure. You are definitely right in saying that. I'll need access to the webhost's control panel, as well as PHPMyAdmin, and FTP access. I'll find some styles, or if Calypto can acquire the one he likes, I'll set them up and customize them as wanted. PHP modifications are generally optional, but if any are required, I'm sure I can find the relevant resources to implement them. I'll be on TS/The race server most of the day if you need to find me!