Regarding changes in BW maps

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Regarding changes in BW maps

Post by iZumo » Wed 08 Jan , 2014 2:34 am

I only wanted to bring into your attention that not everybody is OK with all the new mapchanges in popular maps when it comes to major changes and posting a bit on behalf of the map rotation issue. So a portion of players or admins may not like your change. No problem but it may end up having two versions of the map on the server (orignal and changed) and voting system will disable both versions when one of them is voted (ala Goatswood). However, just saying, map modifications to achieve faster map rotation will not be supported if those modifications don't make the map better (and there are complaints on them).

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: Regarding changes in BW maps

Post by iRobot » Wed 08 Jan , 2014 2:43 am

If anyone has concerns they should make them public, feedback for both fixed maps on eh server currently has been majorly positive, from VIPs especially

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 08 Jan , 2014 2:44 am

And I hope that if such complaints are on the lines of "muh map! i dont like it" without any actual evidence, they'll be dismissed. The map fixing is intended to resolve flow and gameplay problems and has done so admirably in the recent cases (DTC's unbalanced side, WarmBody's spam and chokepoint, Aztec door chokepoints, Osiris' rooftop offering side advantage and being an easy farm spot - good players will happily corroborate this). The map in question here (let's not play dumb, it's obvious what's gone on here) hasn't even been played yet.

Maps which enable players to stall for a minute or more to get auto thaw past, or maps which enable players who are going to lose to prolong the round by camping in some far off location have gameplay problems.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Wed 08 Jan , 2014 3:11 am

Azarael wrote:And I hope that if such complaints are on the lines of "muh map! i dont like it" without any actual evidence, they'll be dismissed.
That's correct.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 08 Jan , 2014 3:15 am

Everything is gameplay orientated, we are not trying to destroy the maps as we know this would be pointless.

We are taking both sides of the coin into account.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Wed 08 Jan , 2014 11:46 am

Well, most players tend to do the same in the same maps if it works for them. Most camp in the same places, and use the same tactics again and again if they worked... I try to avoid this for not being predictable ... anyway, the changes in the maps look positive to me for several reasons:
1) Gameplay and strategies are changed, which do not allow most players to keep doing the same stuff again and again...
2) Hot spots in the map are not very well defined, allows more flow until its again discovered the new point to camp and/or farm.
3) Variety, change is good... Also gives the chance to try other weapons and see if they work better.

In any case the players will adapt to them and get again in their routine:
For example in osiris3, the unpinned T10 through the corridor is Team lethal specially in the beginning cause all team is in well known spawn positions, and there is nowhere to run. So you get Bombom rushing, throwing it getting 1-4 kills and 1 death. Or placing bombs in the same door entrance, same spot. So why not do this every time if it works great? you see this type of players always doing the same stuff, in same places. We all actually know where to find them in each map.

About the maps:
Osiris3, is narrower now, needs more space in my opinion. The roof was my crossing way to avoid the corridors with straight shooting paths and crossed fire. Now there is only confrontation points. With a T10 through them is good enough to farm some kills.

Aztek, is the new deploy paradise. The hotspot moved to other place. Anyway, the FP7-acid-gas pool spot is still there. This map improved a lot in my concept.

Downtown, now is a roof sniping, you can't run anywhere outside without being spotted. The modifications to this one are quite good, there are more places to run and hide inside, but still, I miss the train killing... it was fun to see...

Warmbody, Can't recall the changes...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 08 Jan , 2014 11:50 am

Butcher wrote:Warmbody, Can't recall the changes...
More routes from one side to the other, and shallow water to prevent FP7 spamming. It was not uncommon to see 3, 4 or even 5 FP7's active at once.

Vanico

Post by Vanico » Wed 08 Jan , 2014 5:21 pm

Butcher wrote:[...]
And least someone's able to give some constructive feedback, thanks for that.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Wed 08 Jan , 2014 5:41 pm

Vanico wrote:
Butcher wrote:[...]
And least someone's able to give some constructive feedback, thanks for that.
and Could you please make some more cartoons?.. I laugh my ass off with the last ones ...p-p-p-pleeeease!!! ;B
Attachments
welcome.jpg
welcome.jpg (12.54 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)