RACE-HellbenderRace_RustyBlood

For posting your maps.
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

RACE-HellbenderRace_RustyBlood

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 31 Jan , 2014 7:01 pm

Credit: NNOOMMOO (that's what it says ...)

File: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6cudv ... yBlood.zip

Another HellbenderRace in a style similar to HeavenRace - this one is a bit shorter (first two objectives anyway, third is quite long) and is fairly well paced. I guess you could call it an 'industrial' setting - it's a HellbenderRace set in the style of CTF-ElectricFields. It has a rollercoaster track, with a lot of drops and turns, and all areas are connected by a sequence of bridges and lifts. Some of these bridges are not connected to any particular objective event and have to be manually triggered via a switch (the idea was already embedded in the original, so I decided to stick with it. Not sure how well it'll turn out, but we've mooted the idea before and I have set out signs telling players how to access the bridges). Vehicles are TWB and Levelers, with one Raptor per team. Three objectives, two garages.

I had intended to convert the original BSP track through to a mesh, but decided the track didn't actually look too bad. It's far less messy than many other tracks and, having started to mesh up the spawn areas, decided that I wasn't convinced that the mesh would look any better. I did make some track extension with the mesh and the route out of blue spawn is mesh, but I mainly just retextured and then relit the map. There may be two issues: 1). There are two 'steep' sections which are only accessible with nitro (I've set a 'speed' warning); indeed for one of the sections I had to leave in the original turbo boost to get over it (no issues with the boost). This may have to be changed though. 2). One section is a bit 'bumpy' (it can be seen in the background of the first screenshot. It's the worst section of BSP in the map). It's not too bad, but some people may complain - I'd then convert that to mesh.

“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Re: RACE-HellbenderRace_RustyBlood

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 31 Jan , 2014 10:29 pm

Ok, we had a run through - the BSP track is worse than I thought. I think I'll have to remake it with meshes. Either that or convert the map into a scorpionrace (the idea was mooted). Or do both (even better). I'll run through it tomorrow with a scorpion and see how it handles things. I think the drops would better suit a scorpion. There are some more issues to sort too: the lighting, lifts, trigger bridges, directions, the usual bunch.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 31 Jan , 2014 10:34 pm

Where are you pulling all these from man, I remember all of these from like 2005 but I figured they faded into nonexistence.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 31 Jan , 2014 10:37 pm

http://uz2.pwc-networks.com/viewer.php? ... do2=Search

Although we're scraping the barrel now. Not many distinctive maps left.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Sat 01 Feb , 2014 12:06 am

GruffoRace, IceRace, NatureRace, IslandRaceWay, RaceOfMadness, RacewayRaptor, FunRace

These all sound good to me!

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Sat 01 Feb , 2014 1:27 am

isnt Ice Race the one with the Snowboard?
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sat 01 Feb , 2014 12:30 pm

iRobot wrote:GruffoRace, IceRace, NatureRace, IslandRaceWay, RaceOfMadness, RacewayRaptor, FunRace

These all sound good to me!
The theme sounds good for new maps, but I've been through some of these (with the expection of RacewayRaptor and maybe FunRace too, can't remember); they're all awful! The tracks are just a sequence of BSP blocks with the themed texturing (granted IslandRaceWay is a bit different). Maybe IceRace has a snowboard, I didn't run through it. Opening the editor instantly revealed a hopeless case.

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Sat 01 Feb , 2014 1:44 pm

I think fun race that irobot is talking about is a lap track that has timed triggers and you race around same track over and over. It's not that bad but its one of those maps that I am personally thinking wouldn't do well with the player population. It's much like unwheel and people hated it..

I would be interested in islandraceway. I'll have to search and find it and see if its got any potential.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sun 02 Feb , 2014 11:07 am

IslandRaceway already has a static mesh track connecting the islands together. I may be wrong but I believe it's a checkpoint map for the attackers?

Anyway, testing this map with the scorpion went well. I'm debating whether to change the BSP to mesh with the scorpion after all ... it adds a nice challenge. I don't know. I'll delete the bumpy section (to shorten the final objective) and take it from there.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sun 02 Feb , 2014 7:10 pm

I think the map will have to be taken off the server for the time being. Some of the BSP out of blue spawn seems to have disappeared ... it's there, but we just fall through. Weird. Was fine yesterday and in the Editor