RACE-SprintRace(EMP)

For posting your maps.
iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: RACE-SprintRace(EMP)

Post by iRobot » Tue 18 Feb , 2014 11:08 am

It needs some lighting. The roads at some point are quite literally pitch black so you don't know if you're falling down a hole or driving on a road.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Wed 19 Feb , 2014 7:50 pm

Ok, I'm struggling. I really don't like this map anymore. It looks awful. I've been thinking about what needs to be done and I've no motivation at all to do anything, mostly because the majority of players also do not like this map. And I feel that every improvement that could be made to this map would work 100 times better in a different map theme altogether. So I dunno.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Wed 19 Feb , 2014 10:20 pm

What's the problem on this map?

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 12:06 pm

Nothing fundamentally wrong. It's just that no one really likes it too much. The lighting needs sorting out, the textures need to be less uniform and more colourful, some of the kill zones need a fluid surface attached, and the movers need sorting out. The map suffers from periods of boredom, and I think that's the problem.

I'm thinking about taking some of the neater challenges of this map and combining a few other maps together. That might work.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 12:14 pm

The map is very boring. It's just a very very long rectangle. Very boring design and the majority of the road is flat.

I wouldn't say remove it, as having it in the pool is a bonus for me. Adds variety.

It also can't seem to decide if it wants to be a trial map or a race map, it seems too easy to be a trial map and too difficult (although I use difficult lightly) to be your average race map. So it doesn't appeal to either crowd (raiser or skill)

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Thu 27 Feb , 2014 12:44 pm

Update: http://www.mediafire.com/download/4lebf ... ntRace.zip

Done as much as I can to make this better, other than completely starting from scratch. Deleted those walls; new skybox; sorted out the lighting; new road texturing; deleted those random kill zones (or added a reason for them); and, sorted out the few 'trials' that were a bit dodgy. Also changed the vehicles to quantum and added back weapons - so this no longer a race/trial hybrid, it's a pure race.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Mon 14 Apr , 2014 11:18 am

Update: https://www.mediafire.com/?4lebf6kjqwoctfq

Fixed the constant spawnkilling problem using a proper blocking volume. Also deleted the buggy lasers at the side of the track.

The end now has the PreFinishVolume - I've tested and it works. Checkpoints not necessary.

Edit: just read the post about the balancer not being implemented on maps with this volume - I stuck the volume in here because a lot of players believe this to be a 'trials' map and wait. I don't think the balancer is really necessary on this map.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 14 Apr , 2014 12:10 pm

No worries, I'll shift the implementation to switch-on-death as was suggested for those maps.

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Fri 30 May , 2014 12:58 am

Bug report:
-Players can blow up there vehicle and jump on top of the spawn cage area. From there the blocking volume speperating teams dosen't block projectiles. Bassicaly.. someone can spawn camp.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 30 May , 2014 7:59 am

Any objections to just deleting the weapons? Or maybe modifiying them (there has been a lot of lame rocket launcher ramp camping recently). Maybe add in a DM room. If not I can block off the spawn areas completely.