Change frequency

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Re: Change frequency

Post by CaptainXavious » Sat 15 Feb , 2014 10:48 pm

Michie wrote:Go fire off Mars 3 and you tell me. Fire a clip off
Just did. Can confirm that bullets are going exactly as I aim. Try controlling your fire, firing in shorter bursts makes managing recoil much easier. Firing until the magazine is empty will naturally leave you with a horrible shot grouping.

Spin

Post by Spin » Mon 17 Feb , 2014 1:58 am

idk about others, but i can tell you why i don't play as much as i used too. lag would be the first reason. also weapons that fuck with your movement and vision. i feel like i'm on lsd. or blind. playing under such conditions is no fun. and i hate what you did with my a49. every weapon makes me drop aim and you cant hit shit without aiming, if i have to jump around because i fight some shitter with shotgun, i have to switch weapon and i wont even start with what you did to secondary. You should just delete it if it bothers you so much, making it useless doesn't help anyone. some weapons are also way too accurate from hip.

and no muh a49 is not an answer

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 17 Feb , 2014 2:49 am

You were the one who suggested changing the secondary...

Michie
Banned

Post by Michie » Mon 17 Feb , 2014 4:06 am

Spin wrote:idk about others, but i can tell you why i don't play as much as i used too. lag would be the first reason. also weapons that fuck with your movement and vision. i feel like i'm on lsd. or blind. playing under such conditions is no fun. and i hate what you did with my a49. every weapon makes me drop aim and you cant hit shit without aiming, if i have to jump around because i fight some shitter with shotgun, i have to switch weapon and i wont even start with what you did to secondary. You should just delete it if it bothers you so much, making it useless doesn't help anyone. some weapons are also way too accurate from hip.

and no muh a49 is not an answer
Spin your a good player. I agree with you .Aza im not busting balls either. You base everything off what you pros do. With a killer ping. I really think you guys all do your best. But try to base thing off what other players are trying to tell you. Its kinda like you are shooting yourself in the foot.1st thing would be a Good even Game, Weapons that shoot correct like Spin says. From the hip or Not. Make the game FUN :) . No one want to come to these server and get there asses kick asap. I had friends come and join and got smoked so fast they never came back. Im sure that helps hits on server :o . Sometimes you have to take a step back to move Forward .Looks good on paper don't mean it works :idea:

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Mon 17 Feb , 2014 5:30 am

Its quite hard to really take ping into consideration. Its not a constant and can be manipulated fairly easily. You really can't have a good, even game when such a variable is catered to. Have any ideas how to give higher ping players an advantage without giving out free damage available to those with excellent ping as well? I'm in the same position as you in regards to ping, I'd love to hear a solution.

What I've been doing on my side is pushing for weapons that have a lower DPS in exchange for some sort of utility. The coach gun is a prime example of this; while its not a powerhouse, it can still deal 150 damage + headshot bonus, and a partial hit will make the target bleed, giving you an easily tracked target that can't really sneak up on you if you have hit sounds + damage popup enabled. I also helped to implement more weapons that allow people to support the team rather than to directly kill the enemy, it can be a lot easier healing a cooperative team mate than hit a fast moving target, high ping or not.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Mon 17 Feb , 2014 3:32 pm

CaptainXavious wrote:What I've been doing on my side is pushing for weapons that have a lower DPS in exchange for some sort of utility. The coach gun is a prime example of this; while its not a powerhouse, it can still deal 150 damage + headshot bonus, and a partial hit will make the target bleed, giving you an easily tracked target that can't really sneak up on you if you have hit sounds + damage popup enabled. I also helped to implement more weapons that allow people to support the team rather than to directly kill the enemy, it can be a lot easier healing a cooperative team mate than hit a fast moving target, high ping or not.
I like your intention CaptainXavious, but as I see it skill became the "currency" of Freon. For you to have Skill you need to kill more, die less, and that is it, the formula. No team play being evaluated, so team players tend to get the weapon and tactic that kills the most, instead of the one that has a bonus or helps your mates. Coach in the beginning was like M290, 1 shot 1 kill, quite unbalanced, so at that precise time, literately everyone used it to farm kills (i.e easy-fast skill money): shoot once, 80-150 damage, change immediately to secondary weapon, 1 hit more, and you got the kill. Reload-repeat... Not to say the 20 seconds blinding only seeing red and with lowering hp to death...
But this is one example of so many... in that short period was the weapon of choice for Sylar for example...

People moved from using the team oriented weapons to the "Kill fast and easy" weapons. But this is only natural due to the nature of the skill system. Is of course more fun for anyone to be in the top of the food chain, which means the "best weapon" will always be the most used. Balance is very complex once you get all parameters together. I'm not criticizing the balance of the weapons (for this Aza has made a great Job) , I'm criticizing the way skill is valued because it makes weapons such as CaptainXavious mentions in a lower category.

With respect to the amount of people in the server, in my case is due to the delays I've had recently while I play. It puts me in such disadvantage that is not fun to play. But I believe is not the "not showing the skill", Its barely easy to see the skill without showing: For you to have a >5.5 skill you need to be positive in kills compared to deaths at the end of the match. If you want >7 you need a ratio K:D of 2:1, If you see Robot's and Aza's average are 4:1. All players in the upper skill system are having >2:1 ratio. If you are in the skill system upper end you will loose skill every time you don't meet the ratio, and somehow explains why some upper end players don't play all matches or maps, and always in some specific ones. Nonetheless, there are very skilled players (as Horrorklown) that will play any match without hesitation and no EFR.

I have to admit that for myself I have from the beginning preference for weapons such as the CYLO FS which has changed dramatically: From CYLO OP (more damage overheated) to CYLO SHITSTORM, to CYLO KILLYOURSELF, to "Horror please stop using it because Aza will nerf it again"... ow he did, now CYLO NOKILLONLYSOMEDMG. Most all weapons have changed for balance purpose making them OP, or obsolete or average as the "New best weapon" stands out. Take any of the weapons and in a period of time this specific weapon was the best choice (LH,DS,LS,LK,M46,M50,... name it). Perhaps using some other measures for skill will allow other weapons that are average or obsolete stand out. Skill in our moment is only the one who kills the most, but we all appreciate the medic in the team don't we? Typical HMC (Pupimassa, Joker..) users are moving to the "most kill" weapons too... and they don'thaw with it, they charge it and keep the shot...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 17 Feb , 2014 3:46 pm

On team players: Every time Jailbreak, a non-skill tracking, teamwork gametype is voted, nobody has the slightest idea of what to do.
On the Firestorm: It's a better weapon the better your own aim is.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 17 Feb , 2014 3:58 pm

Azarael wrote:On the Firestorm: It's a better weapon the better your own aim is.
SHOTS FIRED

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Mon 17 Feb , 2014 5:10 pm

Azarael wrote:On team players: Every time Jailbreak, a non-skill tracking, teamwork gametype is voted, nobody has the slightest idea of what to do.
Well Points are given if you attack or defend, mostly if you attack, so If you want to have more points, go to the opponent team base, and release your team as often as possible. but if you stay in the middle ground killing, or hunting you don't earn so many points. Besides, most opponents will go to the 2 locations eventually, either you wait for them, or you go to them. JB is not a good teamwork example because its not coordinated and it doesn't affect the skill system (no incentive, no big effort), but Freon is, teamwork works awesome when you find an understanding. For example, when you say "I'm Hit" you'll get health from me ASAP. And I've had some teamwork cool experiences, only 2 of us defending the roof in observatory against the whole team, and we won.
In any case a team player with an HMC supporting, healing you while you put down the opponent team, is a very effective tactic for a team winning. Nonetheless, the skill of the HMC player is 2.XX and the skill of the one that kills the opponents is 8.XX. Why? because skill is measured only on Kills/Deaths and some thaw ratio... I suppose other variables that additionally could help the skill system to be more balanced to teams and not individuals:
-damage/(average same team damage)
-to be in winning team + X%
-the efficiency factor (RFF,FF...)
-Higher value for thawing...
-Accuracy

I'm sure there can be a balance too
Azarael wrote:On the Firestorm: It's a better weapon the better your own aim is.
Its been my favorite weapon and I believe the balance is ok... as I said: you've done a great job balancing the weapons...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 17 Feb , 2014 5:44 pm

Points in JB are transient, unlike skill. The aim in JB should be to play to win, but the majority of players play TDM and camp in the enemy base, allowing both teams to constantly release. This just illustrates the understanding of teamplay most people have. The degree to which the teams are playing attack, sweeper or defense, and the split of players between those two roles, is where the teamwork in JB lies. The reality in my opinion is that it's generally poor players who complain about teamwork, which doesn't exist on LDG.