Change frequency

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
Spin

Re: Change frequency

Post by Spin » Mon 17 Feb , 2014 8:40 pm

Azarael wrote:You were the one who suggested changing the secondary...
yeah no damage but bigger shockwave effect. i only see no damage. will test it more

Capaco

Post by Capaco » Mon 17 Feb , 2014 9:03 pm

Spin wrote:
yeah no damage but bigger shockwave effect. i only see no damage. will test it more

I like the idea with no damage but bigger effect...but ppl will only use it and push of maps..so no

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Mon 17 Feb , 2014 9:54 pm

Butcher wrote: I like your intention CaptainXavious, but as I see it skill became the "currency" of Freon. For you to have Skill you need to kill more, die less, and that is it, the formula. No team play being evaluated, so team players tend to get the weapon and tactic that kills the most, instead of the one that has a bonus or helps your mates. Coach in the beginning was like M290, 1 shot 1 kill, quite unbalanced, so at that precise time, literately everyone used it to farm kills (i.e easy-fast skill money): shoot once, 80-150 damage, change immediately to secondary weapon, 1 hit more, and you got the kill. Reload-repeat... Not to say the 20 seconds blinding only seeing red and with lowering hp to death...
But this is one example of so many... in that short period was the weapon of choice for Sylar for example...
Coachgun still can one-shot enemies on a head shot. The only things about it that really changed was pretty much just tweaks to the bleed mechanic. My point is that its still useful even if you don't get the kill with it because it makes the target easily tracked and can force a retreat if their life is at risk from the bleed, meaning this gun has value to lesser players (like me) even if I can't bag the kill.

I'm pretty sure one of the larger factors for its widespread use when it was introduced was because it was new, plus the oversight in the visual effects made it more powerful than intended. Damage remains virtually unchanged to this day.
Butcher wrote: People moved from using the team oriented weapons to the "Kill fast and easy" weapons. But this is only natural due to the nature of the skill system. Is of course more fun for anyone to be in the top of the food chain, which means the "best weapon" will always be the most used. Balance is very complex once you get all parameters together. I'm not criticizing the balance of the weapons (for this Aza has made a great Job) , I'm criticizing the way skill is valued because it makes weapons such as CaptainXavious mentions in a lower category.
I do indeed think this is a problem. How to address it though, I have no idea. I've suggested making it easier on the medics by making team mate's health more easily seen so that you can spend more time on the offense and less time trying to figure out if someone needs healing or not.

Spin

Post by Spin » Tue 18 Feb , 2014 12:39 am

Capaco wrote:
Spin wrote:

I like the idea with no damage but bigger effect...but ppl will only use it and push of maps..so no
people also fire from hip and kill you, so whats the big deal. also pushing people off maps can be done with many other weapons.

Aza: have checked. Secondary is totaly useless, if you are not under target or if there is obstacle between you and enemy. seems that any obstacle blocks shockwave, even if you see more than half of your enemy.

If shockwave doesn't deal any damage, range and power should be increased imho.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Tue 18 Feb , 2014 11:37 am

Yesterday, I experimented by using HMC to heal the team and kick some ass. The results speak for themselves:
-7 out of 8 games my team won.
-the game lost was lost 5-6 in Achina
-for maps that were too big the match was tight 6-4, 6-5
-For small maps 6-1 , 6-0
-Made in each game positive score: more kills than deaths.
-At least 1 killing spree per game, 2 rampage, missed 1 kill for dominating. Donated ALL KS.
-Supported all players around, in the last games I felt the other team was targeting at me first, so it became far more difficult.
-Teammates tend to thaw me first to heal the others.

I believe teamwork works.. 8-)
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Capaco

Post by Capaco » Tue 18 Feb , 2014 2:13 pm

ye ty for healing always...... (=

Thats why i love to have a healer in team...but of c there arent many, cause u get nothing for it really.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Tue 18 Feb , 2014 4:51 pm

Capaco wrote:ye ty for healing always...... (=

Thats why i love to have a healer in team...but of c there arent many, cause u get nothing for it really.
:) I'll keep it that way, meanwhile the skill measurement is down...
.= I should have been a Doctor not an Engineer... Little frustration in my early decisions in life ;)

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 18 Feb , 2014 5:01 pm

Healing is for noobs troll2 troll2 ;'D'D

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 18 Feb , 2014 5:12 pm

Healing isn't teamwork.

The simple reason it's not teamwork is because both players don't have to work together for a team with a HMC user to be more powerful. Each player is still playing alone, however one has chosen the role of replenishing his teammates' health. There is no cooperation between them, each is doing their own thing, and the strategy would work exactly the same were no communication or coordination possible at all between the players.

If there were actual, real teamwork on LDG, FP7s would not need to be anywhere near as powerful as they are, because I could rely on teams working together to use their FP7s in coordination to block an area, instead of having to have a massive effect radius so that lone rangers can use them. This is just one example. Many others exist, and I've no doubt in my mind that if real teams with coordination were playing, with the mentality of being as effective as possible, the balance of BallisticPro would be destroyed. Synergy between weapons is never exploited in an arena with no teamwork, nor is abusive potential for an entire team whoring the same weapon. An entire team using the MARS-2's ability to see through smoke while spamming chaff and the MARS-2 subweapon would be a cheese strategy against the majority of weapons in the game.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Tue 18 Feb , 2014 6:33 pm

That type of coordination you cant get it without additional tools. By typing in the chat you will maybe gather 1 follower at most in your team... You need all the team participating in a TS or similar, and a hierarchy established and a strategy... then you ain't playing anymore UT2k4 but CounterStrike... We do the best with what we have...
See it or not, there were 2 deployed weapons and a sniper, which I handle to keep alive while they made several kills... Maybe is no Military coordination, but at least an attempt of teamwork, and it worked...