What do people want?

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
Capaco

Re: What do people want?

Post by Capaco » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 1:24 pm

to foxy @ 6. some time ago i suggested sth like, if u have ks 1 or 2 and getting killed by holding it, the weapon drops for the end of the round and someone can pick it up for the end of the round... at least more ppl would go on ppl who uses Ks weapons to get them
Or the killer of the KS weapon holder gets it directly and not someone else.( fair version)

UrbanHotzone: Or now UrbanColdZone: played it one time and every fights were in the middle of the area which isnt fun at all. The fun was everywhere in the old mapstyle... on roofs and inside the house, there were still fights near the elevator, down the roof and.the hiding place who cares about this one teleport, one telefrag or sth? well it happens..still doesnt destroy 99 % fun of the map. The majoyrity wanted it back yes, but not like this........

Osiris: The change is okay, but the map is better with the roof like it was, BUT just another way up on the roof on the other side ( just dunno if it would get more ppl up so everyone goes up lol )

DarkStar/Nova: 1. Probably removed now but... just saying...backslash cause of hipspamming isnt fair at all, then put it on all weapons or no weapons, cause others can hipspam too.
2. Dark star was good from the style it was like half year ago, when anni used it.. it was just too strong from damage. They can hip it as every other weapon, but it could get 25 base damage + 5 per soul, 5 souls = special mode.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 2:10 pm

focus wrote:My point is that topic is called 'What people want'. And it implies that i can state my opinion here.
Possibly quite subjective.

Yes, but if you make bland statements without any explanation or support, it doesn't do much for me.

1. I feel that some time ago the game was more enjoyable. Now, it is marred by introducing outlandish changes. Like this with staves. IMO it was much better to lower effort necessary to obtain 'god/demon mode' then to move super firemodes right to the normal mode itself.

Staves were completely unused before, and the reason for that is that the concept of damage for souls was broken. Because the weapons began as statistically underpowered, only the better players could fuel them, and when they did, they wrecked the entire server.

2. Changes in maps. They are unnatural. Some of them do wreck the gameplay of the map. Their purposes are not always well-founded. Anti-spam? See item 4. Not to mention that they do ruin map aesthetics. If they are supposed to be introduced, much more care should be applied on them.

All subjective and no concrete examples given.

3. Removing maps from the mapset is also a problem. Enjoyable maps were removed on the basis of 'they have unequal balance between the teams'. I dont care. I was having fun on DM-Beach even if it was unbalanced. I didnt care even if our team was doomed to lose because it was spawning in the sea all the time. Storming bunkers and sniping people from islands was a real fun.

Maybe you don't care, but some of us want to play maps which are balanced. I did mention before that lowskills will always prefer imbalanced maps, because once every 2 rounds on average, they can take advantage of the imbalance to get kills and wins they wouldn't be able to in a balanced arena.

4. This anti-spam campaign which i witness is also questionable. Not everyone wants to train their skills. Spam is fun for the whole stratum of players. Personally, i find it enjoyable to try to kill bombom in the Highlander tunnels, for example. If you remove sources of fun for the low skillers, deny them in opportunity to get kills, then instead of training their skills they probably would find a more attractive game to play. Or they may choose to spend their time in a more useful way then playing games and/or drearily improving their point-and-click reaction time.

Now this I reject entirely.

If you are a regular on this game and you've been playing it for years, you have no reason not to improve. It disgusts me that some people have this mentality of refusing to improve and fucking off somewhere else if the situation is made so that they have to improve rather than spamming. These people need to have a realization: if you can't be bothered to improve and want to just spam, you don't deserve to kill anything!

Additionally, you can't have it both ways. People complain about A500, FP7 spam, Longhorn etc, but now other people are saying "don't nerf these, because the players who do nothing but spam them will refuse to do anything else and just quit if they can't."

I'll level with you all, BallisticPro is called BallisticPro because it was intended to be a balanced game without spam or cheap options. If I have to leave spam and bad design in just because some people will cry and ragequit if I don't, then I'll repeat what I said in the admin forum: I'm not interested in working on it anymore.

5. My most important point is that things on the server have already went far. There was a lot of time wasted. Its wrong to bring things to such state and take steps only now. Our minecraft experiences say that returning players is a hard task. Even if you would remove all changes made, that also can be not enough. Although, i dont think that it all is too late.

True.

All of this is not a big secret. I was telling it all the time. So, im telling this again at the forum.

Now about details with KS and HAMR.

6. Ok, dont allow KS2 donations from KS1. But its disappointing that basically, very few players are able to get access to such weps in game. Opportunity to get them by donation was really nice. Now, its gone. Maybe its possible to devise other way to distribute them? Not by donation, but some other way?

Come up with something.

7. I've noticed that HAMR is a cumbersome weapon. So, if one by a lucky chance gets KS2, he would hardly choose it, when there are so many much more attractive options available, like grenade launcher, AT40, etc. Its good idea IMO to move it to KS1 then. It would fit fine there, near G5.

As someone who does use the HAMR, I disagree. It's intended to be deployed and / or used from high ground, and if these conditions are fulfilled, it wrecks.
Capaco wrote:to foxy @ 6. some time ago i suggested sth like, if u have ks 1 or 2 and getting killed by holding it, the weapon drops for the end of the round and someone can pick it up for the end of the round... at least more ppl would go on ppl who uses Ks weapons to get them
Or the killer of the KS weapon holder gets it directly and not someone else.( fair version)

Killing someone with a KS and getting 9 kills to use that KS are entirely different animals.

UrbanHotzone: Or now UrbanColdZone: played it one time and every fights were in the middle of the area which isnt fun at all. The fun was everywhere in the old mapstyle... on roofs and inside the house, there were still fights near the elevator, down the roof and.the hiding place who cares about this one teleport, one telefrag or sth? well it happens..still doesnt destroy 99 % fun of the map. The majoyrity wanted it back yes, but not like this........

Come on, you can do better than this. The fun WASN'T everywhere. One of the criticisms I levelled at Takeo's version of UHZ every damn thread, as well you know, is that because of the teleporters, the ONLY places you ever fought were on top of the building where the teleporter exit is and in the brick path. The brick path, because you can't move in it, also fulfills another criterion: cheap kills for noobs == popular map.

Osiris: The change is okay, but the map is better with the roof like it was, BUT just another way up on the roof on the other side ( just dunno if it would get more ppl up so everyone goes up lol )

The roof was nothing but farming and I don't have any ideas for how to make another way up there.

DarkStar/Nova: 1. Probably removed now but... just saying...backslash cause of hipspamming isnt fair at all, then put it on all weapons or no weapons, cause others can hipspam too.

The trend was for hipspammers to select Dark Star. Hence, backlash was introduced.

2. Dark star was good from the style it was like half year ago, when anni used it.. it was just too strong from damage. They can hip it as every other weapon, but it could get 25 base damage + 5 per soul, 5 souls = special mode.

The damage for souls concept is broken, see earlier post.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 2:32 pm

Ignore my post with valid reasoning behind why donation is currently flawed.

Fine, I see how it is

=SS

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 2:51 pm

Have you got a better idea than KS1->KS2 donations for getting KS weapons out?

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 2:55 pm

Need not make one. The KS1->KS2 donation system was fine.

Your only concern is the scenario where people could game it to wait for the stronger players to be alive and the noobs dead. I don't recall this happening in the 1 year or so it was present. Simply because donating when most of your team is dead will often result in a lost round and a wasted donation anyway.

If you wish to remove donation from being the premier choice, then remove the adrenaline reward for doing so. It's hardly a donation if you're getting something for doing it.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 2:56 pm

I, on the other hand, recall a number of potentially good games which were ruined because the average skill was high 6.xx on both teams and donation was being used to level up KS1s to KS2. That must be avoided.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 2:59 pm

Yet if both teams have similar skill and are both doing the same, why is balance lost? Why must it be changed?

It's extremely uncommon for both teams average to be higher than 6.7, unless the top 5 are playing.

Not to mention if the average skill is high, then the K:D ratio narrows and KS1's are reached less.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 3:12 pm

I think is annoying when it says, "Unable to donate"....
When only 2 players with high skill are left against the whole team maybe a KS will save the round. The Limitation on who gets the KS is the point that makes me annoyed. When you are in the upper or lower end you would also like to get a KS. For the KS1->KS2 donation, I though was a strategical advange for the team, as also a reason to donate. Adrenaline was a plus, but normally I was already full when doing the donation.
In any case, in my opinion, was better before than now...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

iXtl

Post by iXtl » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 3:31 pm

Azarael wrote: Now this I reject entirely.

If you are a regular on this game and you've been playing it for years, you have no reason not to improve. It disgusts me that some people have this mentality of refusing to improve and fucking off somewhere else if the situation is made so that they have to improve rather than spamming. These people need to have a realization: if you can't be bothered to improve and want to just spam, you don't deserve to kill anything!
If I have to leave spam and bad design in just because some people will cry and ragequit if I don't, then I'll repeat what I said in the admin forum: I'm not interested in working on it anymore.
Wrong way of thinking. You cannot have everything - game profiled as YOU only wish and many players simultaneously. Wider audience needs some kind of trade-off.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 3:52 pm

I'll pass the mod on to someone else to maintain if that's the case. I can't purposefully design the game with flaws.