What do people want?

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
Michie
Banned

Re: What do people want?

Post by Michie » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 4:05 pm

Azarael wrote:I'll pass the mod on to someone else to maintain if that's the case. I can't purposefully design the game with flaws.
Maybe you should then. Sometimes a Fresh Mind and a different way of thinking is in order.

iXtl

Post by iXtl » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 4:07 pm

Azarael wrote:I'll pass the mod on to someone else to maintain if that's the case. I can't purposefully design the game with flaws.
The problem is with your narrowed view. What you think as an unacceptable "flaw" is sometimes/often a source of fun for other players. For example: beach map or roofs on some maps - if only place of team spawn is changed back in subsequent rounds, I don't care if opposite team has an advantage in current round, if I would have the same in the next.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 4:13 pm

Michie wrote:
Maybe you should then. Sometimes a Fresh Mind and a different way of thinking is in order.
Who do you suppose does it, given the technical knowledge needed to maintain it?

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 4:13 pm

iXtl wrote:
Azarael wrote: Now this I reject entirely.

If you are a regular on this game and you've been playing it for years, you have no reason not to improve. It disgusts me that some people have this mentality of refusing to improve and fucking off somewhere else if the situation is made so that they have to improve rather than spamming. These people need to have a realization: if you can't be bothered to improve and want to just spam, you don't deserve to kill anything!
If I have to leave spam and bad design in just because some people will cry and ragequit if I don't, then I'll repeat what I said in the admin forum: I'm not interested in working on it anymore.
Wrong way of thinking. You cannot have everything - game profiled as YOU only wish and many players simultaneously. Wider audience needs some kind of trade-off.
I agree with focus & iXtl. One should not try to force other players to enjoy the game he/she considers as the best (in terms of aiming, maps or "improving")

But like michie recently said, most of the changes brought by Azarael in the balance are great, and I reckon that we should all be thankful for that.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

Capaco

Post by Capaco » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 4:15 pm

its nothing against u aza serious, u put lot of effort and time in it....but i feel its like 90 % agree to sth or want sth changed or getting back, u are the one saying no, cause of a reason, we dont care..only u ,like roofs or sth. or changes ...

Its kinda weird taking things back from one day to another, but then when we want sth back ( we didnt want to get away)..."Why u want it back, gimme some arguments etc" Fun is the only argument ppl can give... like michie or ixtl saying.. things are taken too serious sometimes, dont u think so too?

Peace (=

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 4:22 pm

@iRobot: The only problem would be feature implementation. Numerical tweaks don't require much knowledge. You and Xavious together could handle it if you were so inclined.

@iXtl: I'm referring specifically to the weapon balance with that comment, since players are suggesting that spam weapons shouldn't be fixed.

@Oska: The reason I push aiming is because it's what the entire game was designed around. The accuracy of hipfire when it's spammed the way some people do is absolutely terrible, so it's frustrating to see that they continue to do it, when it's so detrimental to their play.

@Capaco: I wanted to build a server where skill was rewarded and the maps were designed well, so that skill would win out. That's what BallisticPro has always been about - trying to work standard Ballistic into something which rewarded skill and had depth. I regard anything less as personal failure.

I also believe in actual debate to get changes through, which is why I've been accused of listening to iRobot all the time. It's only recently come to the stage where I'm forced to back down because of population drops. All the arguments in the world can't hold players with the free ability to quit. It's in this environment that I've nothing left to contribute, and it's why I'm suggesting passing control onto members of the community and stepping away from this.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 4:27 pm

It pisses me off to be killed by the acid pool that someone shot randomly in the middle of the crowd. The increased difficulty to spam IS NECESSARY to avoid the easy kills. There is nothing more annoying to a good player than the Long horn random bounce kill, .... it goes for all spamer's weapon of choice LongHorn,Acid, Fp7,T10.... and would be the same with heavy machine guns if they were still in the category...
Is not easy to find a common ground for this spam topic... but I agree with Aza, if you want to kill someone: Learn how to aim, crouch, move and hit... all good players did (and do) that. It will make you skilled...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 4:28 pm

I had actually intended to block access to the A500 and Longhorn for players added to the spammer list in the next patch, but given the current sentiment, I feel that doing so would be suicide.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 4:36 pm

I'd have no desire nor interest in personally balancing or contributing to BallisticPro, suggesting ideas for adjustments is about my limit. The comment to Michie was merely an example of it takes a little more than just a few number changes to manage.

focus

Post by focus » Thu 20 Feb , 2014 4:38 pm

But why there is need to reach a 'perfect' balance or a 'perfect' server for a well-skilled players? Maybe it sometimes necessary to be 'good enough'? And some amount of cries and whines is a normal thing after all?

Anyway, i do appreciate Azarael and his work. His importance is hard to overestimate here. I hope we all can be constructive and ready for compromises.